U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,083,790 times

Advertisements

Same as any funeral
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 10:39 PM

3,696 posts, read 3,295,528 times
Oh the stories I can tell from working 5 years in a funeral home..

The very much alive brother who walked up and punched the very dead brother lying in the casket.

The perpetual mourner who showed up veiled for every funeral on a Tuesday whether she knew them or not.

One lady who when we saw her come in the door we'd grab the smelling salts.. because we knew she would fake "faint." It was especially gratifying to shove it under her nose because you knew she was lucid and just trying to get attention.

And then we'll talk about the woman who insisted on riding the gurney down 3 flights of stairs with her deceased relative, during a removal.

It takes all kinds... but believe me when I say... you'll see it all.. I have the utmost respect for funeral directors.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:39 PM

2,260 posts, read 2,143,937 times
I did an atheist funeral earlier this year. It was a favour to the partner who lived, who was a Christian. There really wasn't much difference between it and a typical Christian funeral.

In lieu of scripture, poems were read; I didn't do a homily or reflection but had the family do that. My role was to welcome people, remind them they are not alone and to help everyone understand how special each life is, whether it is Christian or not.

I can only hope Christian funerals are as life-affirming as this funeral was.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:41 PM

2,260 posts, read 2,143,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Where do these things take place? I don't know of any Christian churches that don't have stained glass windows about biblical things and pictures hanging around. Crosses and pictures of Christ would surely have to be taken down.

You could have gotten a decent answer from me if you had left out that one word in your reply, stupid. The meaning would have been the same, I think.
These funerals take place in a funeral home, just like the majority of funerals, including Christian.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:44 PM

50,783 posts, read 26,806,977 times
Hell, i'm still try'na figure out why people waste money on funerals.

That said, i'd imagine an atheist funeral would be no different than any other funeral...and you'll get ripped off just the same by the funeral home. That's for sure.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:47 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,082,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They're for the living (to mourn, gain closure, pray, etc)... I doubt the dead care one way or another.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

That said, i'd imagine an atheist funeral would be no different than any other funeral...and you'll get ripped off just the same by the funeral home. That's for sure.
Yes you can.. Without being an informed shopper. Or if by some chance you have an unscrupulous funeral director. Too many people are afraid to talk about death, and unfortunately, the only time they "shop" is during a time of need in a stressful situation.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:49 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,082,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Oh the stories I can tell from working 5 years in a funeral home..
I bet!! That's a job I've always found interesting, but I probably wouldn't be able to get past the "ick" factor of handling bodies.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:53 PM

21,543 posts, read 14,431,159 times
The last funeral I attended was a friend's who had given up all organized religion years ago. His older brother is an LDS Bishop, so there was some religiosity, but his brother kept it to a minimum.

About 4 people got up and spoke and my friend's life, and a lot of music was played that was non-religious. He was a professional musician, and all the songs were favorites of his. The gathering lasted for hours, but the service itself was pretty short.

The guy was spiritual- he took great care of his many friends, and lived a good honest life. He was a loving husband, a hard worker for as long as he was able to work, and cheerful in the face of certain impending death. He could remember a joke better than anyone, and always was quick to share one.

He died hard from diabetes, but he was remembered very fondly by a lot of people. Those who wanted to pray for him were allowed to do so. It was a darned good funeral.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I bet!! That's a job I've always found interesting, but I probably wouldn't be able to get past the "ick" factor of handling bodies.
It's amazing... I get immediately woozy around blood (could never be a nurse), but the bodies didn't bother me a bit.

I always used to tell my family that it was the best job I ever had. The worst flack you ever got was a little "stiff" upper lip. (I know.. I know.. but when you work in the industry you tend to get a little bit of a warped sense of humor.)

In all honesty, I loved being there for the families. They appreciated even the simplest things you would do for them. And while sadness is a big part of it, at the same time it kind of gives you hope, when you see how sometimes it would pull people back together who had somehow gotten so far apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or