U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:04 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,959,144 times

Advertisements

Funerals are for the living.

My mother was cremated and buried, the end. Her wishes, my dad's wishes.
My dad was cremated and buried with military honors as he was very proud of his service during WWII, and they are both buried in the state veterans cemetery (the spouse of veterans are eligible).

No prayers, no preaching, no bible babble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 08:44 AM

17,825 posts, read 20,224,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
True, but the living need to seriously get over it!

I swear, those ceremonies are so freakin' morbid. Everyone has to walk around with a sad face, all the crying, fake crying, fake sadness, lying obituaries, that morose organ music, etc....it's all keeping up appearances. It's like a frickin' Boris Karloff horror movie.

Meanwhile, i think most people at the funeral are thinking the whole time about how good the food is gonna be when it's all over.
I gather from your post that you have not been to many Irish Wakes.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:36 AM

50,629 posts, read 26,709,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I gather from your post that you have not been to many Irish Wakes.
Nope. Well...seeing as how i'm the furthest thing from being Irish as one can be......

Old 12-24-2011, 08:38 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,709,129 times
The funeral tradition I admire the most:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhcinJ03idI#t=1m30s

Who wouldn't like to go out like that?

Old 12-24-2011, 09:02 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,871,297 times
Exclamation What is an atheist funeral like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I ask that question because while sitting at a Christian funeral in a 1st Christian Church the other day I got to wondering what they could talk about at one of those things. In this one two ministers went on and on about how great the man had been. I just had to wonder what atheists do in comparison.

They remember the deceased. Preachers who hardly knew the deceased are not required at atheist services. Friends and family will be there. They knew him and they'll miss him. The pain is the same with or without middle eastern mythology.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:28 AM

15,310 posts, read 10,339,568 times
Quote:
What is an atheist funeral like?
....a bit like this actually.

Harry Enfield, The Old Gits - 4 Funerals & A Wedding - YouTube

Old 01-07-2012, 07:30 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,619,466 times
They are like all funerals and consist of a gathering of friends to remember the good in a personís life, and help each other move past the grief. We just remove the myths, and gods.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:47 AM

8,680 posts, read 13,301,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I ask that question because while sitting at a Christian funeral in a 1st Christian Church the other day I got to wondering what they could talk about at one of those things. In this one two ministers went on and on about how great the man had been. I just had to wonder what atheists do in comparison.
We shoot the body out of a cannon.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:34 AM

19,910 posts, read 14,232,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
They are like all funerals and consist of a gathering of friends to remember the good in a personís life, and help each other move past the grief. We just remove the myths, and gods.
That is exactly the point. One of the best courses I ever took was the Sociology of Death. It was an excellent survey of cultural attitudes, beliefs and customs related to death, dying and burial from around the world.

Funerals are not for the dead; they're for the living.

Moving beyond...

Mircea

Old 01-20-2012, 08:45 PM

16,094 posts, read 17,892,708 times
I just found this and thought it would be appropriate in this thread:

Planning Ahead Can Make a Difference in the End : NPR

Quote:
You want a physicist to speak at your funeral. You want the physicist to talk to your grieving family about the conservation of energy, so they will understand that your energy has not died. You want the physicist to remind your sobbing mother about the first law of thermodynamics; that no energy gets created in the universe, and none is destroyed. You want your mother to know that all your energy, every vibration, every Btu of heat, every wave of every particle that was her beloved child remains with her in this world. You want the physicist to tell your weeping father that amid energies of the cosmos, you gave as good as you got.
Aaron Freeman is cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or