Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Same thing, just without the stupid prayers and hymnals.
Where do these things take place? I don't know of any Christian churches that don't have stained glass windows about biblical things and pictures hanging around. Crosses and pictures of Christ would surely have to be taken down.

You could have gotten a decent answer from me if you had left out that one word in your reply, stupid. The meaning would have been the same, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
The same thing without religious representatives like priests, imums and whatnot. Everyone gets together and talks about how great (or bad) the person was and says their final goodbyes.

Get off your high horse, Roy. I thought surely you had more intelligence despite your Beck worship.

This is more of a question for the religious forum anyways.
I don't read on the religious forum and I don't think I was on a high horse for asking that question. Since you want to get even with me maybe you couldtell me where these funerals take place.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:01 PM

30,304 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Where do these things take place? I don't know of any Christian churches that don't have stained glass windows about biblical things and pictures hanging around. Crosses and pictures of Christ would surely have to be taken down.
You think all funerals take place in a church?? There are many non-denominational funeral homes & cemeteries, not to mention Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, etc. And the informal memorial I mentioned was at a private home, so that's always an option if they're being cremated. Oh yeah, and military cemeteries usually offer nonreligious ceremonies too.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:01 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times
Quote:
Many Christians don't have the normal funeral. My brother, who was one of the best Christians most of his people had ever known, had a celebration of life which was the first one of those I had heard of. It was far enough away and my sister-in-law was sure the church would be overflowing so she just sent me a tape of the whole thing.

Don was the best informed member of the church concerning Bible parts according to the minister who said they always called him when they had a problem with any part. Instead of reading a lot of passages from the Bible they had sheets published with different passages he had written in his Bible and the things he used each one to make things easier for him.

Not a funeral but it took a very long time for all the people who wanted to talk about him and what he had meant in their lives. Most of the speakers were young people from the 20+ ones who were in his Sunday school class along with many up to 40 who had moved on to other classes. Every nook and cranny inside the Akron, Oh church was crammed with people and the overflow filled the church yard.

I am sure I got more out of listening to the tape than I would have from being there since I knew only his immediate family members. We liked that way of doing it so much that we had a very small normal funeral and then did the other part for my father 3 years later.

I know how I think an atheist could be remembered but have never been to a remembering period for them.
""""I know how I think an atheist could be remembered but have never been to a remembering period for them"""""

?????

What is a "remembering period" ???

Why do you think atheist are "remembered" differently???

Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Since , unlike christians, atheists are individuals, they do things as they please, not TO please.

They don't need PAID people to talk about them. IF they have a memorial service anyone they , or their survivors, want may speak.

They may not have a service at all....or they may have a blow out bash
(I sure hope they CELEBRATE my life with a wild party...I may even have it BEFORE I kick the bucket like my Aunt did!)

See, atheists are FREE to do as they please....
Then, are you saying that since they don't worship any god of any kind they are freer than I am? That could be. Thank you for the civil answer.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
What is a "remebering period" ???

Why do you think atheist are "remembered" differently???
Yeah, that one's confusing me too! I remember ALL of my loved ones who've passed, and their religious beliefs have zero impact on that... what an odd concept.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not all Atheists are the same, so one would assume every "Atheist funeral" is unique.

In 2008 one of my non-religious (secular Jewish) friends passed away, so I'll humor you with explaining how things went... and since he died slowly from a persistent brain tumor, these were explicit wishes written out before he became terminal. His wishes were to be cremated without ceremony, and then for his ashes to be scattered in the Pacific Ocean - followed by an informal memorial if friends/family wanted it. So about a week after his passing, we all gathered at his brother's home for food and story-sharing. A handful of people stood up and talked, saying a variety of things but mostly just sharing fond memories. It was very personal with no "pomp and circumstance," which was exactly how he'd have wanted it.
Thank you for the very civil reply. I must be a bit like your friend in that I have requested that I be cremated and eventually the ashes be flushed down the toilet. Of course, my wife won't allow that and she is 17 years younger so she may still be around. I believe that that funeral may be just what I would like but I do want a couple of songs sung so that *****s that deal, I guess.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:06 PM

P.S. Wouldn't this thread be more appropriate on the Religion board (Atheism sub-forum)? Maybe I'll suggest that to the mods...

Old 12-21-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the very civil reply. I must be a bit like your friend in that I have requested that I be cremated and eventually the ashes be flushed down the toilet. Of course, my wife won't allow that and she is 17 years younger so she may still be around. I believe that that funeral may be just what I would like but I do want a couple of songs sung so that *****s that deal, I guess.
I know you're just asking an honest question, so I'm trying not to flame you in reply.

I guess your questions just strike me as odd, since I grew up surrounded by friends & family from every end of the religious spectrum... Muslim, Jewish, Atheist, Evangelical Christian, you name it. Thankfully I haven't been to many funerals at this point, but the ones I have attended were each completely different. So it's really a very personal thing, and for many it has nothing to do with religion. Not sure what I want, since I try not to think about it!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:12 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,568,901 times
Quote:
I don't read on the religious forum and I don't think I was on a high horse for asking that question. Since you want to get even with me maybe you couldtell me where these funerals take place.
Funeral home, duh.

And where do you think people of other faiths have a funeral? Surely they don't in a church..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism