U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:55 PM

12,161 posts, read 9,884,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
Please post all and any reason or questions you have that give you a reason not to believe. My purpose here is to try and see if people have any good points I have not seen or heard before and I think it would also be interesting to see people's perspectives.

Please try to keep your posts relatively short and try to avoid external links unless they are necessary for proof/explanation.
Lack of ANY reason or evidence TO believe in face of plenty of evidence not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 02:42 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,679,635 times
There's no evidence. Next.......

Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 PM

16,598 posts, read 14,075,580 times
Quote:
Please post all and any reason or questions you have that give you a reason not to believe. My purpose here is to try and see if people have any good points I have not seen or heard before and I think it would also be interesting to see people's perspectives.

Please try to keep your posts relatively short and try to avoid external links unless they are necessary for proof/explanation.
I don't believe in anything that has no evidence.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:39 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,974,996 times
I see no advantage to theism, Likewise, I have seen more harm done to people on all levels by religions, and in the name of religion that it gives me no further proof as to it's advantages.
In religion, the bad often outwieghs the good .

Old 12-29-2011, 08:49 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,302,629 times
Quote:

Because I don't.

As far as you attempting to "try and see if people have any good points" you haven't seen or heard before, as far as I'm concerned, "because I don't" is good enough reason for me, so it's good enough reason for you to accept from me. If you don't think that's a good reason, that's too bad. It's not up to you to judge my reasons.

Thank you, drive through.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:49 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,978,743 times
ulnevrwalkalone: Your username gives me the impression that it is useless to deal with you, but giving you the benefit of the doubt, what points would you be open to being influenced by? It isn't hard to do a bit of reading and discover the rationale for atheism.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:59 AM

176 posts, read 252,880 times
I'm a biology major. When I try to figure out how people can believe in a god after learning everything I have about how the world actually works, my head sorta almost explodes a little bit.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:09 AM

39,072 posts, read 10,842,814 times
Let's take it chronologically.

First, I just didn't believe the Bible stories fed to me as a kid.

Later, I failed to see any good evidence for a god in this world -just good luck credited to God and bad luck to just bad luck.

Then I studied various religions and saw that they were like nylons -man made.

Since then I have had to look at the Bible claims, new and OT, the claims for creation and prophecy, sites of the Ark, the Shroud and the Exodus and Moses campsite and have found the evidence to remain questionable and unverified at best and pretty much discredited at worst.

As to Sortagod, that is a change of emphasis, for, while I DO say that Biblegod does not exist (with the same confidence I say Santa, Fairies and leprechauns don't exist) and I proactively disbelieve in those claims, where there is nothing much to falsify, I cannot be so proactive and have to take the reservation of belief position.

That is also disbelief and non - belief, but it is more a case of tending to credit what science has shown about the way things work and not yet being persuaded that that there is any good reason to prefer the hypothesis of an Intelligence doing it all.

I have seen the arguments from conditions for life, but they don't consider the counter - arguments. I have looked at the arguments for First cause, but they smack of substituting philosophical fiddling for any real evidence and what hypotheses we have seem to argue against first cause.

The arguments from NED's, miracle healings and personal feelings tend to be very anecdotal and again disregard the other side of the case. So it can't be taken as definitely to be ascribed to anything we could call 'God'.

This 'sortagod' of course, even if if I credited it, might turn me from an atheist into a non - religious theist, but it certainly would not get me into a church, since religions are still, evidently, man - made.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 PM

857 posts, read 1,260,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
ulnevrwalkalone: Your username gives me the impression that it is useless to deal with you, but giving you the benefit of the doubt, what points would you be open to being influenced by? It isn't hard to do a bit of reading and discover the rationale for atheism.
Is that a jab at Liverpool FC?? Because that is where it comes from. Some of the posters here seem to think I am theist for some reason. I don't know why because if you look at my 2nd post you can clearly see that I too am not religious...

Old 12-30-2011, 07:24 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,410,393 times
Quote:

Insufficient evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or