U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2012, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Western Cary, NC
4,349 posts, read 6,618,982 times
Reputation: 7266

Advertisements

There are a lot of things I believe in, but gods just donít reach the level of sanity on my list. The Christian faith or all faiths that sprang from the loins of Abraham have too many conflicts in their written laws. The bible is filled with these contractions and any person who has read it with their eyes open canít help but see them. Christian are doomed without question, if they live a righteous live in one book than they will surly go to hell in the next book.
The other big clue for me is if an organization has to use fear and threats to make you believe than there is a big problem. A sane person would send them on down the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2012, 09:09 AM
 
Location: North Bay, California
63 posts, read 70,447 times
Reputation: 35
atheists dont believe in God because they believe that there is no god, because of the world we live in. i can understand why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 09:19 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 5,278,810 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_woman View Post
atheists dont believe in God because they believe that there is no god, because of the world we live in. i can understand why
I think it would be more accurate to say that they do not believe in god because there is not a single reason on offer TO believe in god. More than that one really is not required to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM
 
39,035 posts, read 10,825,389 times
Reputation: 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_woman View Post
atheists dont believe in God because they believe that there is no god, because of the world we live in. i can understand why
If you have in mind the 'problem of evil' I agree that is one of the major arguments against God. It isn't the only one, though and in fact does not really form the rationale of rejection. That is more to do with the massive doubts about the validity of the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,553 posts, read 13,616,159 times
Reputation: 7756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It's all a fricking fairy tale born in the fear of ignorance as a way to explain what could not be understood. Very basic stuff, like why the sun came back day after day, people died, the seasons, etc., none of which could be understood, so magic gods were invented that control these mysteries.
This.


The Christian God is no different to me then Thor or Odin.

"Why does it rain?"
Because Thor wants it to.

"There must be something after we die"
There is. God's Heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 11:30 AM
 
3,935 posts, read 5,586,883 times
Reputation: 4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
In short, because it just doesn't make sense.
I remember as a kid and full of the "but what if" and "why" and "how do you know" types of questions regarding a 'supreme being'. Sure people had explanations, but the they just kept mushrooming and getting more and more complicated. To me it makes more sense to go with the simplest explanation: that there is no god.
This is my scenario also. Some people would say things like "We don't know the answers to everything, thats why we have to have faith." Even now when I tell people that I've never "felt" God in my presence, he's never talked to me, etc., they tell me I'm not trying hard enough. Or, "You have to really mean it, if you just have the faith of a mustard seed." Why would God want people to try so hard to feel his presence? I would think he would want it easy to feel him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 11:38 AM
 
16,596 posts, read 14,066,182 times
Reputation: 20558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
There is a parable that Jesus spoke regarding "Last will be First, First will be Last."

He speaks about a land owner who goes out each hour to recruit laborers to work on his fields, in which he will pay them a denarius.

At the end of the day, the people that were recruited first, demanded more money because they worked longer hours.

The land owner said it was his right to pay the laborers what he wanted, and the agreement was for a denarius.

The way I interpreted this is, the majority of us if not all of us that are sent to Heaven will have to spend our time in hell, just some of us will be there longer.

Do you feel like this is not fair? Do you think you deserve to go straight into Heaven? Are you not not without sin?

Why do you think people should feel entitled? Just because you were not caught for your wrongdoings by your human contemporaries does not mean that God did not take note.

I recognize that I'm a sinner, and while I do not fully grasp the concept of hell, I understand the fact that I will have to spend some time there.

It's only fair.
Heaven and hell are made up ideas.

People used to LITERALLY think it was in the sky. We now KNOW that is not true.

So anything you have to say regarding heaven or hell are purely FICTION and therefore meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 08:29 PM
 
164 posts, read 160,920 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Heaven and hell are made up ideas.

People used to LITERALLY think it was in the sky. We now KNOW that is not true.

So anything you have to say regarding heaven or hell are purely FICTION and therefore meaningless.
If this is true, do you have the answer for what is meaningful?

You do not even know the outcome of today, yet you claim to know the unknown and see the unseen?

How do you know such things? What gives you this power?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,876 posts, read 31,757,930 times
Reputation: 12623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
If this is true, do you have the answer for what is meaningful?

You do not even know the outcome of today, yet you claim to know the unknown and see the unseen?

How do you know such things? What gives you this power?
No such claims were make...You are just trolling again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 08:49 PM
 
164 posts, read 160,920 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No such claims were make...You are just trolling again.
He proclaims what is written is meaningless, so surely he knows what is meaningful?

How else would he know that which is unknown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top