U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 03:09 AM

7,945 posts, read 4,746,778 times

Advertisements

why don't I believe?
why don't you believe those who dont believe the same things you do?
I don't believe because I know agnosticism is true. I like what scholars are doing with the agnostic spirit though. in short, Agnostics have bore their best fruit to me, and i've never even personally met any, just read, studied, and contemplated their statements on the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,113,083 times
I stopped believing when I was about 9-10. I was watching this documentary on TV about religious festivities and beliefs around the world and, all of a sudden, God didn't make sense anymore. And it has never made sense again.

Yes, it was as simple as that lol.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 AM

39,206 posts, read 10,887,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
He proclaims what is written is meaningless, so surely he knows what is meaningful?

How else would he know that which is unknown?
If it helps, in this context, since what appears to be questionable interpretations of arguable passages in a doubtfully reliable book, served up with a sauce of doubt that any God worth a damn would come up with such a scheme, the claim becomes short of foundation. 'Meaningless' here seems to mean irrelevant to us. It does not influence what we decide is meaningful in our lives and how we conduct them.

It follows that what we find to be sound interpretations of reliable data gives us meaningful parameters about what we find meaningful in our lives and how we conduct them.

Doing what we consider beneficial for us and for our fellows and has meaning for us. Stick and carrot claims without any sound foundation does not influence us.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:24 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,994,349 times
That was a wonderfully concise post, AREQUIPA. Rep point from me.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:00 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,980,929 times
Because if there is only one god then why are there so many religions in the World? Why do they all fight amongst each other about which god is better? The whole story of Adam and Eve is laughably silly.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:07 PM

17,303 posts, read 19,577,939 times
Science and reason have just about proven God out of existence. That's why I don't believe.

It was fun while it lasted though.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:25 PM

4,891 posts, read 3,979,660 times
Well difficult subject, and no simple answer because it was not that I woke up one day and said "OH OH HERE HERE I DON'T BELIEVE ANYMORE...OH SHOOT OH DARN IT"
Nothing like that.
More like I always had a fascination with things like religions, mythology,anthropology, psychology, social belief systems etc,
I also had many negative experiences first hand with various Christian groups growing up, and at some point I had to ponder the unanswerable questions "Why are these supposed follwers of "God" Such screwed up people?" and "Do I really want to be like them?" Somewhere in the patterns of all the logical arguments of the existence of their god and their heaven and all else, the argument for them falls apart and the argument against them prevails. We see that just by definition, the existance of their god while unprovable is highly improbable, while the non-existance of the same is highly provable.
And the futility of religion is provable. (Hint: Start by taking variations of theology, and look then at the end result. )
So along the way of being on the outside looking in, l gradually was able to realize that the Christian "god" does not exist, nor can exist in Biblical or Christian theological standards, so why believe in something which cannot be real and therefore can have no positive impact in one's experience?
Again, Science, Reason and logic win out over superstition and myth.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:36 PM

8,820 posts, read 6,368,976 times
just now I'm reading about catholicism and how so many of its rituals are from the "heathens" they so despised and killed if they didn't conform. I already knew all this but this book goes into detail about French churches and their decorations and statues and the freemasons, etc. Just that alone is enough to show you how religion is something that evolved and was created by humans. Just the fact they can adjust what god said or what Jesus did or not. How the role of women was vilified by men. Mary Magdalen was Jesus' wife and then later she was turned into a hooker...
It's all a way to control and herd people together.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:39 PM

43,566 posts, read 52,728,947 times
I believe in god.

What I don't believe is those kooky cults like christianity which only exist to control people.

I don't see any connection between a personal belief and relationship with a god and following arbitrary man-made rules. I follow the rules of society because that is part of our social contract. Not because of some fictional judgy character.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:13 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,479,125 times
Why?

Simple, it's the "evidence" for a god. Third party, anecdotal and here-say evidence.

Rather an unholy trinity in my opinion .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or