U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:53 AM

2,464 posts, read 5,823,536 times

Advertisements

Although I'm an atheist I still like to sing "What a Friend I Have in Jeeeeee-sus!" Or, "Shine, Jesus, Shine!" (I used to be a member of a church choir). I'm a fan of all kinds of music really - I have at least 6,000 songs on my Ipod ranging from Gospel, R & B, Classic Rock, Classical, etc. There's much to love when it come to hymns, gospel and religious music in general. One of my favorites:

Allegri - Miserere (best quality) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 05:27 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,391,899 times
I don't listen to a lot of gospel music but I came across this beautiful song the other day. The harmonies are fantastic! I love listening to this even though I don't identify with the lyrics

Old 01-03-2012, 01:47 AM

31,385 posts, read 32,099,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I don't listen to a lot of gospel music but I came across this beautiful song the other day
The song is "Every Time I Feel The Spirt" it is a traditional African American spiritual dating back to the 1800's. The clip you provide was one of the most original arrangements that I've heard. Thanks, I loved it.

Mahalia Jackson's version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N315g...eature=related

Old 01-03-2012, 11:15 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,981,222 times
I still like Battle Hymn of the Republic ("His truth is marching on...Glory, glory Hallejuyah..."). It's a good song, and the myth is presented picturesquely.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:10 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,281,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else still enjoy a little gospel music or hymn?
Sure, and there is no reason for an atheist not to.

As a species we have a wonderful ability to represent and personify aspects of our universe and the human condition in our minds.

This has led to a wealth of mythology, story telling, music, art, literature, architecture and more than I would certainly not do without and our species would be the poorer to be without.

In fact I even see nothing wrong with visualizing a "perfect" being or person (such as god or Jesus) and using that vision as a standard towards which we can aspire.

The problem in this world is that, having visualised or personified things in such a fashion, some people go one step further and start thinking those personifications real.... and in some cases not just real but all powerful and something we need to pander to.

Like most things in this life the over application, even abuse, of this faculty we are endowed with leads to great harm, confusion, lies and damage. A shame because it is a faculty we should not wish to be without.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:27 PM

4,558 posts, read 5,403,175 times
The Thomas Tallis third mode melody is still very powerful to me, especially as it was adapted so lovingly by Ralph Vaughn Williams.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:49 AM

16,230 posts, read 18,692,270 times
i like the gregorian and byzantine chant. Thats the only religous music I like and I view the music as art and not as a religous signficance.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,199,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
About the only thing that I miss from my church going days.

Anyway, I downloaded "John the Revelator" by Curtis Stigers & The Forrest Rangers last night and it has become one of my all time favorites next to "The Gospel At Colonous" sound track.

Is it just me or does anyone else still enjoy a little gospel music or hymn?
I like traditional Christmas hymns and Gregorian chants, but few things make my stomach turn like contemporary christian music. The worst of the worst for me is contemporary LDS Christian music. I feel sick just thinking about it.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:53 PM

21,961 posts, read 22,122,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The worst of the worst for me is contemporary LDS Christian music.
Guess what? That makes two of us (with a very, very few exceptions).

Old 01-07-2012, 02:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,981,222 times
Some contemporary Christian music is beautifully done, I'll give it that. But I am aware that the message is only an ancient myth being dressed up in a modern form. In general, I'd rather hear Little Brown Church in the Vale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism