U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 10:56 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,085,636 times

Advertisements

About the only thing that I miss from my church going days.

Anyway, I downloaded "John the Revelator" by Curtis Stigers & The Forrest Rangers last night and it has become one of my all time favorites next to "The Gospel At Colonous" sound track.

Is it just me or does anyone else still enjoy a little gospel music or hymn?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:05 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,259,559 times
Nah...don't miss the hymns or gospel music. I did, and still do, enjoy some of the Christian Rock and Metal like Petra, Tourniquet, Bloodgood, Barren Cross, Guardian, Sacred Warrior and Deliverance. Those bands rocked.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:39 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,972,242 times
I thought it was fun to try to sightread the tenor parts in the hymnal which no one else seemed to try to do when the congregation sang. I like some religiously inspired music, especially Bach's pipe organ stuff. The main reason I have for liking gospel music (or at least respecting it) is that many of the great soul music performers, like Aretha Franklin, came straight out of it.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:31 AM

2,438 posts, read 4,223,639 times
A litle tidbit of info I discovered recently: you can sing Amazing Grace to the tune of House of the Rising Sun and vice-versa. And they actually sound decent!

A little weirder is to sing Lullaby of Broadway to the tune of Good King Wenceslas, or vice-versa.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:02 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,297,876 times
Default I confess!

I LOVE this song.

[youtube]N_lrrq_opng[/youtube]

Plus, I was in folk group when I was in junior high and high school. We used to rock out at Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve with electric guitars, drums, the whole bit. I still pop onto YouTube now and then and look for the songs we used to sing, much of which was drawn from Godspell, like "Day by Day" and "Beautiful City."

In fact, being in folk group was the only way I was going to church without putting up a fight.

I'll still belt out "Day by Day" when my neighbors aren't home.

[youtube]P3PjfBQjJT8[/youtube]

Old 12-30-2011, 01:06 PM

28,490 posts, read 62,120,010 times
We've got some beans and some good cornbread
It's time for dinner now let's go eat

Lyle Lovett: Church - YouTube

Old 12-30-2011, 01:38 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,297,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
We've got some beans and some good cornbread
It's time for dinner now let's go eat
That is a TERRIBLE song!

/Feathered Friend cries

Old 12-30-2011, 04:53 PM

13,314 posts, read 25,550,246 times
I love gospel music. Have made the mistake of going to a gospel concert and then learning that a major purpose for the singers is to create religiousness among the listeners, with exhortions to "Turn to your neighbor and hold his hand" and stuff. This didn't fly too well in a Harvard Square club.
Blues and gospel and real country music have similar roots, and I love all that music. Of course, I don't like the sugary pop Jesus songs but I imagine a lot of believers don't either. Good music is good music.
Once I was working my night shift and had the radio on, Sunday morning, and there was Gregorian chant on. A young day person came in and asked what I was listening to, and I said, "Some kind of church music, isn't it beautiful?" and she said, "YOU- CHurch music?! I thought you were a non-conformist!" My first thought was, "Well, what do they listen to?" Maybe she thought, as she perceived me to be a non-conformist, that I'd wear all black and have a safety pin in my nose and listen to punk or something. Yes, that would be individualistic, right?
Without believing in a "higher" power or things, I think the good music that addresses or expresses that desire or perception does soar. Wasn't Bach written for churches?

Old 12-31-2011, 12:30 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,972,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Good music is good music.
For me, that is what it all boils down to. There is a Christian rock song called Crossing the Bar which I like a great deal, irrespective of the lyrics. The same goes for Will The Circle be Unbroken. Good music is good music!

Old 12-31-2011, 01:40 PM

19,883 posts, read 14,224,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
About the only thing that I miss from my church going days.

Anyway, I downloaded "John the Revelator" by Curtis Stigers & The Forrest Rangers last night and it has become one of my all time favorites next to "The Gospel At Colonous" sound track.

Is it just me or does anyone else still enjoy a little gospel music or hymn?
I like music in general, and many different types of music. I was never really into gospel music, but I do listen to Gregorian chants and other similar music. Sometimes if I wake up early enough, I sit outside on the back patio drinking coffee and I can hear one of the imams singing the call to prayer at the local mosque about 2 blocks away. Well, maybe 1 1/2 blocks as a crow flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism