U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,207,797 times

Advertisements

You can think someone else's views are ridiculous without offending them unless they offend you first. As long as someone isn't trying to push religion on you, then just ignore it or choose something passive aggressive that shows them how moronic their own choices are such as worshiping the flying spaghetti monster.

Just because people have differing views doesn't mean they can't be nice to one another. Everyone is at a different stage in life and people often need to learn things for themselves. Being openly hostile will never help anyone see the light, so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 09:05 AM

39,203 posts, read 10,880,280 times
Yes. I'd prefer to avoid insults, like 'arrogant, purblind, imbecile,' and 'asinine' whereas an explanation as to WHY one appears to be such is not really an insult, but is easily going to be taken as such.

OP said -"they throw out the faith card and that's when I say, "You're just silly" and walk off. What do you guys think? Nice? Or let em have it until they back off a bit?"

Perhaps not nice and 'let 'em have it' depends upon what one let's 'em have. A string of 'You're just silly' is not really telling them anything. Of course one can explain until it rains cola and, once the Faith card is played, while one can explain why Faith is no a good reason to believe anything, any listening probably stopped long ago.

But, while they are not going to listen, it explains why you are not buying their line. Perfectly polite and respectful and respect would demand that they respect your choice.

But then, they'd possibly suppose that it was their duty to frighten you into faith with threats of a vengeful JesusGod booting you into Hellfire and would respond to appeal to respect as 'If you saw a blind man walking into a burning building, wouldn't you try to stop them?'

Old 12-30-2011, 09:07 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,479,125 times
It is possible to coexist with others who don't share your belief system.

In my immediate family we have 3 Catholics, an atheist, a Pagan, a Methodist and one who is still searching for the right path. We respect each others right to choose whatever religion is right for them even if isn't what we believe.

Just treat others the same way you want to be treated.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:13 AM

7,901 posts, read 8,903,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlindwarf View Post
I was in a museum with some friends today and I made a slightly offensive remark about religion under my breath to them. Both are them are not religious. It was just in fun.

What followed was an hour long debate over whether or not I should respect religion.

I say nah, I mean, it doesn't warrant respect in my opinion because religious institutions don't respect me or other's rights. Gay rights, women's rights, etc. Not to mention if religion is some special class that's off limits from offensive jokes isn't that giving them an unwarranted power?
Just because some fundamentalists act like jerks doesn't mean you have to.

Quote:
They told me religious people would be more likely to listen if I play nice, but then immediately said I'm not ever going to change anyone's mind. So why be nice then? I try to explain things in scientific ways and they throw out the faith card and that's when I say, "You're just silly" and walk off.
Planted seeds sometimes take time to grow.

Quote:
What do you guys think? Nice? Or let em have it until they back off a bit?
If they are nice, be nice. If they are not nice, you should still be nice. If they are REALLY not nice, tear them a new one because they are asking for it.

Quote:
Now I don't go out in the streets yelling "God's not real!" everyday, nor do I ever start an argument or make an offensive comment towards religious friends, but when a debate does ensue I pull out all the stops.
Don't let them get to you. Patience.

When I was younger I felt much as you do (though I am not a self-labeled atheist). Yelling at people accomplishes nothing. If they are yelling and you are just making logical, calm arguments - you've already won.

Whether they think you have won or not is immaterial.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 AM

21,188 posts, read 21,025,220 times
I'm confused... If the friends aren't religious - why were they offended?

Old 12-30-2011, 09:56 AM

63 posts, read 43,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm confused... If the friends aren't religious - why were they offended?
From re-reading caitlindwarf's post, she didn't actually say that her friends were offended - just that they didn't think her approach was necessarily the correct one.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I just think it's completely unnecessary and wrong to insult someone simply because they don't think the same way you do.
Absolutely agree!

That applies to everyone, believer or atheist or whatever. Insulting someone just because they have a different outlook or worldview or different ideas about how things work - it's just very unkind and unfair, in my opinion.

Difference and versatility is part of what makes the world and its people so interesting. People are individuals and no two people are the same or think exactly alike. That's part of the beauty of the world and its people.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:55 PM

16,611 posts, read 14,094,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post

What I tend to be judgmental about (and therefore admittedly a bit hypocritical, because I can't stand judgmental people) is when a person "throws the first punch" with their insults. I just think it's completely unnecessary and wrong to insult someone simply because they don't think the same way you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Occultist View Post
Absolutely agree!

That applies to everyone, believer or atheist or whatever. Insulting someone just because they have a different outlook or worldview or different ideas about how things work - it's just very unkind and unfair, in my opinion.

Difference and versatility is part of what makes the world and its people so interesting. People are individuals and no two people are the same or think exactly alike. That's part of the beauty of the world and its people.
Beliefs that are immoral (obviously subjective) and ridiculous (again subjective) are not inherently deserving of respect. And more important, they should be JUDGED to be wrong.

Judgement in and of itself is not wrong in anyway. Prejudgement without knowing the whole story is a bad idea, but just judging someone's beliefs is not wrong at all.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-02-2012 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: your personal rant was deleted :)

Old 12-30-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Beliefs that are immoral (obviously subjective) and ridiculous (again subjective) are not inherently deserving of respect. And more important, they should be JUDGED to be wrong.

Judgement in and of itself is not wrong in anyway. Prejudgement without knowing the whole story is a bad idea, but just judging someone's beliefs is not wrong at all.
But I never said the beliefs themselves should be respected. I said the people should be (unless the people are behaving in a rude and bigoted manner, in which case, they do not deserve respect.) Respecting the beliefs and respecting the people are not the same thing (in my opinion.)

I stated that no one is under any obligation to respect the particular beliefs that someone might hold. But they should afford the person basic respect (or, to use your term, courtesy) unless that person is behaving and/or speaking in a way that makes them undeserving of it.

Again, using myself as an example. I believe in many subjects within the occult. Do I insist that people respect my beliefs? No. But I do ask that they treat me with kindness and respect as a person, as that is what I deserve. If people want to think my ideas are utter lunacy then they are entitled to think that, but they should still be kind and polite to me as a person.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:27 PM

16,611 posts, read 14,094,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual_Occultist View Post
But I never said the beliefs themselves should be respected. I said the people should be (unless the people are behaving in a rude and bigoted manner, in which case, they do not deserve respect.) Respecting the beliefs and respecting the people are not the same thing (in my opinion.)

I stated that no one is under any obligation to respect the particular beliefs that someone might hold. But they should afford the person basic respect (or, to use your term, courtesy) unless that person is behaving and/or speaking in a way that makes them undeserving of it.

Again, using myself as an example. I believe in many subjects within the occult. Do I insist that people respect my beliefs? No. But I do ask that they treat me with kindness and respect as a person, as that is what I deserve. If people want to think my ideas are utter lunacy then they are entitled to think that, but they should still be kind and polite to me as a person.
And if your beliefs were racist?
Or that child molestation was ok?
Or that gays should not have rights?
Or that women are property of men?

Why should I respect, or even be courteous to people with those beliefs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or