U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-05-2012, 08:27 AM
 
16,098 posts, read 17,899,425 times
Reputation: 15891

Advertisements

I thought this might be of interest to some posters.

Black Atheists to Come Together for Day of Solidarity | Friendly Atheist

Quote:
The idea is the brainchild of Donald Wright, author of The Only Prayer Iíll Ever Pray: Let My People Go:

The idea of a Day of Solidarity occurred as a result of me pondering Black History Month with more focus on black free thinkers and non-believers. I felt that an effort should be given to assemble black non-believers in our local towns and cities eliminating the need for expensive travel. I visualized a special day of observance once a year on the 4th Sunday in February to promote fellowship, share experiences, meet new non-believers, and discuss the lives of black non-believers that our typical history books omit. Also, this could be the opportunity to encourage community activism.

If youíre interested in hosting or participating in a local event, the organizers want to hear from you.

More information at:
Day of Solidarity for Black Non-Believers - Info | Facebook
Interview with Donald Wright, here:

Black Skeptics Group: Black Skeptics' Interview with Author Donald Wright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2012, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Dallas
1,004 posts, read 522,619 times
Reputation: 1226
While I respect their sentiments as a fellow atheist who happens to be black, I feel the need to address the "Black atheist" movement however insignificant it may be. Self segregation is not warranted or needed here, if anything we should be united in our discourse of the delusional. These efforts are greatly appreciated and not necessarily frowned upon by me personally but perhaps I'd recommend a day of Solidarity for atheist and Freethinkers of all ethnic groups.

Minorities often times incorporate subliminal ethnocentrism, something I despise greatly. Hopefully this is not the case here but the name suggest otherwise.

Last edited by ayahuasca_mike; 01-10-2012 at 01:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
1,709 posts, read 2,652,819 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
While I respect their sentiments as a fellow atheist who happens to be black, I feel the need to address the "Black atheist" movement however insignificant it may be. Self segregation is not warranted or needed here, if anything we should be united in our discourse of the delusional. These efforts are greatly appreciated and not necessarily frowned upon by me personally but perhaps I'd recommend a day of Solidarity for atheist and Freethinkers of all ethnic groups.

Minorities often times incorporate subliminal ethnocentrism, something I despise greatly. Hopefully this is not the case here but the name suggest otherwise.
I take a look at the "Black Atheists" and the "Black Atheist Alliance" groups on Facebook once in a while (actual names might be different) and while I do see a black nationalist post here and there, I always see lots of comments rebutting it. Those who do want to self-segregate are definitely in the fringe.

I see the purpose of these groups and meetups. I lived in 99% black neighborhoods from birth until a year ago. I lost my religion when I was a teenager, and for a little while after that researching atheism, I never saw or heard of anyone black being an atheist. After learning about how religious black Americans are compared to other ethnic groups, I started to wonder if I would ever come across another black atheist (or even agnostic ). When I first found such a group on the Internet, it was a nice surprise to find other atheists who were black, and the fact that there was a group about it! I'm not very social, so I don't participate in those groups, but from what I see there isn't any danger of any sort of black nationalism becoming a major view in these groups.

So I think that most people in these groups have that mindset, especially if they live in majority black areas like I did. Others are probably interested in the humanities and thus are interested in black studies, which would include the overwhelming religious culture among blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 PM
 
16,098 posts, read 17,899,425 times
Reputation: 15891
I think though that there are some unique challenges to being an atheist in the black community because religious faith is so dominant. Culture and religion are so interwoven that it is harder for those around you to accept your lack of faith.

I thought this post on reddit was interesting.

fromkentucky comments on Black atheist here. In need of help/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
1,709 posts, read 2,652,819 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I think though that there are some unique challenges to being an atheist in the black community because religious faith is so dominant. Culture and religion are so interwoven that it is harder for those around you to accept your lack of faith.

I thought this post on reddit was interesting.

fromkentucky comments on Black atheist here. In need of help/advice.
Agreed, that's basically what I was trying to say in my post.

That's a great link, it describes the situation perfectly and why these types of groups and meet-ups are helpful. There might be some in these groups who are focused on the situation of blacks, but that's not black nationalism or self-segregation by any means. I would consider it similar to wanting to see the people you grew up with in a crappy neighborhood make something out of themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 09:09 AM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,099,608 times
Reputation: 14896
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Self segregation is not warranted or needed here,
Is Alcoholics Anonymous, Gamblers Anonymous, Surviors Network of those Abused by Priests (SNAP) organized for the purpose of "self-segregation" or are they groups to support those who find themselves outside of the mainstream? Being a black atheist is a lonely path if one remains connected with the larger African American community so I see nothing segregationist about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM
 
Location: USA
19,724 posts, read 14,698,619 times
Reputation: 12734
I think it's fantastic that all people who want to free themselves from the bonds of religion do so. And if that person does not feel comfortable being around people outside of his culture so be it. We all originate and have our roots in Africa so the "We" is really all of us. The sooner we get to that point the better off all of us "We" will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 02:59 PM
 
16,098 posts, read 17,899,425 times
Reputation: 15891
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I think it's fantastic that all people who want to free themselves from the bonds of religion do so. And if that person does not feel comfortable being around people outside of his culture so be it. We all originate and have our roots in Africa so the "We" is really all of us. The sooner we get to that point the better off all of us "We" will be.
It's not a matter of being uncomfortable being around others who are outside your culture, but it is a matter of trying to be comfortable around your own as well.

I agree that really there is only one race, the human race, but we have a long way to go before the existing society gets to the point where this is accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2012, 04:13 AM
 
Location: Sol System
1,494 posts, read 2,873,741 times
Reputation: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It's not a matter of being uncomfortable being around others who are outside your culture, but it is a matter of trying to be comfortable around your own as well.

I agree that really there is only one race, the human race, but we have a long way to go before the existing society gets to the point where this is accepted.



Yeeeaahh!!! Too bad our current trajectory will lead us all to near extinction prior to reaching that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top