Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:39 AM

164 posts, read 186,516 times

Advertisements

Now, I consider myself a follower of Christ. While I have been hypocrytical at times in my actions, thoughts, and words, I realize when I sin, and I know in my heart that there are consequences for my actions after I die, even if I don't get caught on earth.

So here is the situation:

Suppose a healthy individual, who is an atheist, decides that they no longer wish to exist. They will pay you a million dollars to kill them.

Now, there is no possibilty of you getting caught by the authorities, nor anyone knowing that this took place aside from you, the person in question, and anybody that you choose to tell.

Additionaly, the man has no family and limited personal connections on earth, (IE he will not be missed). Also, there is nothing that he does that can't be replaced by someone else.

So the issue of morality should not exist considering the person in question wants to die, he will not be missed, and he will pay you for your services.

Now if you are an atheist, you shouldn't believe that what you do in life has any consequences on your afterlife, (if you even choose to believe in such a thing), because there is no one there to judge you.

You are essentially able to live a life filled with murderous perversion and greed, (if you so desired), and as long as you don't have any consequences from your fellow men, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

With that said, who amongst us wouldn't be better off socioecomicaly with a million dollars added to their bank account?

Considering, that we only live once, it would not be logical to turn down this opportunity since there are no consequences except that you will be $1 million wealthier. It is up to you to choose what you do with the money.

To me, no real atheist would turn something like this down. They have no consequences. Again, it would be illogical to turn this down.

So, are you a real atheist?

Last edited by Kansarado; 01-11-2012 at 11:58 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 11:58 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post

Now if you are an atheist, you shouldn't believe that what you do in life has any consequences on your afterlife, (if you even choose to believe in such a thing), because there is no one there to judge you.

You are essentially able to live a life filled with murderous perversion and greed, (if you so desired), and as long as you don't have any consequences from your fellow men, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
Your post assumes that morality is a byproduct of believing in God, fear of God, or wanting to gain the favor of God.

I have to tell you that you can be a good moral person without all of the above promises. Morality has nothing to do with religion or seeking eternal life with Christ.

If there is a God I am certain he (or she) would favor a person that is intrinsically good over someone that is doing good deeds to gain the favor of God.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:02 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Yet another theist who can't seem to wrap his/her mind around a world view that doesn't include a god and a list of heavenly rules.

Believe it or not, religon adopted pre-existant human morality standards rather than inventing them. An atheist can and usually will be just as moral as any religious person.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Your post assumes that morality is a byproduct of believing in God, fear of God, or wanting to gain the favor of God.

I have to tell you that you can be a good moral person without all of the above promises. Morality has nothing to do with religion or seeking eternal life with Christ.

If there is a God I am certain he (or she) would favor a person that is intrinsically good over someone that is doing good deeds to gain the favor of God.
Your mistake is that you're judging me, based on your assumptions about ME, rather than answering my question.

Ultimately it is God that helps me make a decision, but to me, God comes in the form of doubt, mercy, guilt, and remorse, that I would feel before taking this person's life for my own self gain.

For a person that does not believe in God, why should those emotions even exist in this particular situation? They don't make any sense considering the circumstances.

Basically, for a Christian to ignore their beliefs and take the money, they would exhibit sociopathic behavior.

In contrast, for an atheist, this is just the evolution of their society. It is taking advantage of their belief structure. The emotions I listed should play no role in this situation because they are not beneficial and make little sense.

So an atheist who murdered someone for money in this particular situation should not be considered a sociopath, but the status quo in an atheist society.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Yet another theist who can't seem to wrap his/her mind around a world view that doesn't include a god and a list of heavenly rules.

Believe it or not, religon adopted pre-existant human morality standards rather than inventing them. An atheist can and usually will be just as moral as any religious person.
I eliminated any sort of morality issues from this scenario. To me, unless your are not truly an atheist, you are too cowardly to confide in your convictions and have no place telling Christians they are wrong when you can't even take advantage of your own belief system.

Why should you suffer? Essentially, that's what you would be doing if you didn't take the money because your standard of living (I'm assuming) would be significantly decreased. It makes no sense for you (an atheist) to suffer when you only have one life to live, and you have an opportunity in this situation where everybody wins.

Yes, you would be a murderer, but in your eyes, didn't you essentially just murder something that equates to no more than dust in the wind?

Last edited by Kansarado; 01-11-2012 at 12:14 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 12:08 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Now, I consider myself a follower of Christ. While I have been hypocrytical at times in my actions, thoughts, and words, I realize when I sin, and I know in my heart that there are consequences for my actions after I die, even if I don't get caught on earth.

So here is the situation:

Suppose a healthy individual, who is an atheist, decides that they no longer wish to exist. They will pay you a million dollars to kill them.

Now, there is no possibilty of you getting caught by the authorities, nor anyone knowing that this took place aside from you, the person in question, and anybody that you choose to tell.

Additionaly, the man has no family and limited personal connections on earth, (IE he will not be missed). Also, there is nothing that he does that can't be replaced by someone else.

So the issue of morality should not exist considering the person in question wants to die, he will not be missed, and he will pay you for your services.

With that said, who amongst us wouldn't be better off socioecomicaly with a million dollars added to their bank account?

Considering, that we only live once, it would not be logical to turn down this opportunity since there are no consequences except that you will be $1 million wealthier. It is up to you to choose what you do with the money.

To me, no real atheist would turn something like this down. They have no consequences. Again, it would be illogical to turn this down.

So, are you a real atheist?
You are no judge of what a 'real' atheist is or is not. I would not kill even a religious apologist for a million dollars, but I would make him look utterly discredited for free.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:11 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
If there is such a thing as objective morality, created by god or by nature, why would you assume that an atheist would be immune to it? Just because someone chooses not to believe in god does not mean that suddenly morality has no effect on them. What if you are right, and god created the world, but created it with some sort of ingrained morality? Would not an atheist be subject to that? I guess what I am saying is, if you are right, and god is real, let god deal with it. If you are wrong, and there is no god, just think of all the sleep you've missed on sunday mornings!

Old 01-11-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
You are no judge of what a 'real' atheist is or is not. I would not kill even a religious apologist for a million dollars, but I would make him look utterly discredited for free.
How do you expect Christians and other denominations to respect you, when you exhibit cowardly, pretentious, behavior that does not fall in line with the atheist belief structure.

If you're going to proclaim you're an atheist, at least act like one. If you don't, someone else will.

That's what many of you fail to understand. If the entire world was atheist, why would the world need you?

What benefit do you bring them? Are you a beautiful female or a genius scientist?

Or would there be a group of people in control that would consider you little more than a parasite, (similiar to how many atheists view Christians), that is taking up their land and ruining their lives.

They only live once. Don't you think that eventually someone would exhibit true atheist behavior and take advantage of their situation, thereby, eliminating huge portions of the population and enslaving the rest?

You can't tell me that this is not possible, can you? How long ago was the holocaust?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:22 PM

410 posts, read 742,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Believing in a god does not necessarily mean that you have a strong sense of morality. By the same token, not believing in a god does not mean that morality is absent in your life, nor does it strip you of emotion.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:24 PM

410 posts, read 742,904 times
Quote:
If you're going to proclaim you're an atheist, at least act like one. If you don't, someone else will.
Tell me, how is an atheist supposed to act?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism