U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:07 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,233,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I started the thread and I am agnostic. The thread is only directed to the more militant atheists that belong to organizations or pseudochurches of atheism.
No it's not, or else you would have asked the question specifically of them and not of atheism in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 03:02 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,393,261 times
Quote:
I started the thread and I am agnostic. The thread is only directed to the more militant atheists that belong to organizations or pseudochurches of atheism.
Are you sure about that? Your comments in the Christianity forum suggest otherwise. Like this one, in the "difference between Protestantism and Catholicism" thread:

Quote:
Thanks for clarification:

Most educated Catholics agree with you. What you have said is not outrageous at all.

But as always Protestants fail to see that tradition, rites, bells and whistles are very important to us. We simply cannot throw away the rosary and the "Hail Mary". The same can be said about honoring men and women that tried to live like Jesus. We name churches, schools and university after these saints. I love the smell of incense and would rather have the mass in Latin than in English. In the old days the priest used to face the altar rather than the congregation, that was really neat.

I love a very old church with a lot of statues, altars, chapels on the side, religious art, etc. I cannot stand a plain Jane modern church, if find it too sterile. I love the concept of having The Vatican as a separate country in Rome with the Swiss guard.

Regarding communion and its meaning: I agree, that is a huge difference. However, I think that having a mass without communion would be quiet strange.
This is just one of many posts in that thread clearly indicating that you're a Catholic and don't tell me you're just a cultural Catholic cause it's obvious from your posts that you believe in God. I am a cultural Catholic myself (baptism, holy communion, confirmation, Catholic school, etc.) and I don't believe in God, let alone speak about what He would and would not like (as you do in other threads). You're just a troll.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:28 PM

9,830 posts, read 6,738,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Are you sure about that? Your comments in the Christianity forum suggest otherwise. Like this one, in the "difference between Protestantism and Catholicism" thread:

This is just one of many posts in that thread clearly indicating that you're a Catholic and don't tell me you're just a cultural Catholic cause it's obvious from your posts that you believe in God. I am a cultural Catholic myself (baptism, holy communion, confirmation, Catholic school, etc.) and I don't believe in God, let alone speak about what He would and would not like (as you do in other threads). You're just a troll.

It is quite possible to have doubts (agnosticism) and be a Catholic. In fact, many Jesuit Priests are like that. IF a person wants to be religious the proof regarding the existence of God can theoretically become a moot point because there is no proof in either direction.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:15 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,393,261 times
Quote:
It is quite possible to have doubts (agnosticism) and be a Catholic. In fact, many Jesuit Priests are like that. IF a person wants to be religious the proof regarding the existence of God can theoretically become a moot point because there is no proof in either direction.
Agnosticism is not the same as "having doubts". Agnostics believe that it is categorically impossible to know whether God exists or not, let alone understand His will and to what specific religious denomination He belongs. Jesuit Priests cannot be Agnostic because by definition they believe they are in direct contact with God. How can you be in contact with a Being you're not even sure exists? There may not be conclusive proof that God does not exist (and there never will be as it's impossible to prove a negative) but there is plenty of proof that the God of the Bible does not exist. The Bible has been proven time and time again to be full of inconsistencies and there there are scientific explanations for most things God is credited with (creation of mankind, existence of the Universe, plausible explanation for creation of life, etc.). An Agnostic theist may believe that there is a "God" out there but he/she cannot conceptualise this God, as Its characteristics are unknowable. You cannot be an Agnostic and a Catholic at the same time, the two are mutually exclusive (and yes, I know there are people who call themselves "Agnostic Christians" but this is factually an oxymoron). Just because you're not 100% sure that your God exists doesn't mean you're an Agnostic. It just means you're honest.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:47 PM

9,830 posts, read 6,738,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Agnosticism is not the same as "having doubts". I know there are people who call themselves "Agnostic Christians" but this is factually an oxymoron). Just because you're not 100% sure that your God exists doesn't mean you're an Agnostic. It just means you're honest.

My wife likes to go to mass every Sunday even though I have explained to her there may not be a God. She does not care, she simply enjoys the activity and it is part of her heritage.

I am quite aware that God is not likely to exist, but i have learned to enjoy being a Catholic. I fully understand the contradiction, but at the same time it makes sense.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:11 PM

40,090 posts, read 26,755,929 times
Quote:
My wife likes to go to mass every Sunday even though I have explained to her there may not be a God. She does not care, she simply enjoys the activity and it is part of her heritage.

I am quite aware that God is not likely to exist, but i have learned to enjoy being a Catholic. I fully understand the contradiction, but at the same time it makes sense.
How very, very sad . . .

Old 01-18-2012, 04:09 AM

2,637 posts, read 10,941,996 times
Atheism is not a religion. Therefore it is makes no sense to call atheism a religious cult. Atheism means only one thing - a lack of theism - lack of belief in dieties. That's it! Everything else that gets tacked onto that term is erroneous.

With that said, it is possible to have an atheistic cult, if you define a cult as a group led by a charismatic personality who are brainwashed into mindlessly supporting the leader. But most cults are inherently theistic in nature. The only exception I can think of is Scientology which doesn't include any dieties, but rather the spirits of departed aliens (thetans) and a grand-daddy mean bean alien called Xenu, all brought to you by the man behind the curtain - L Ron Hubbard, a science fiction writer turned cult leader. (Seriously! You can't make this stuff up!) If you don't interpret the aliens as dieties, then you could classify Scientology as an atheistic cult. But it would be a huge mistake to think that all atheists are Scientologists.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:50 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,375,913 times
Default Oh yeah! The Church of Higher Open-Mindedness! "CHOM"!! Lemmee in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Atheism is not a religion. Therefore it is makes no sense to call atheism a religious cult. Atheism means only one thing - a lack of theism - lack of belief in dieties. That's it! Everything else that gets tacked onto that term is erroneous.
Agreed, and of course, rather obvious and often defined, but then...

...it's also patently obvious that, having had the concept of their organized and thus severely limited and structured belief system tagged as a thoughtless "religion and cult", they would want to make us also endure that shameful moniker.

You remember, out in the schoolyard, when the bully retorted: "I know I am, but what are you? Neeyah neeyah!"

Same line of faulty logic, and: Won't work, doesn't apply, and it's indeed telling that this EPIC FAIL is their lone working strategy against our call of thoughtless cultism.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:06 AM

983 posts, read 1,366,678 times
About as much as not collecting stamps can be considered a hobby

Old 02-04-2012, 10:23 AM

8,680 posts, read 13,307,850 times
Default I heart Bill Maher.

I thought of this thread last night while watching this.

[youtube]aQp6GMzGPpU[/youtube]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or