U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:02 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,372,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
A scientist can be religious.

This guy was both a physicist and a priest.

In January 1933, the Belgian mathematician and Catholic priest Georges Lemaitre traveled with Albert Einstein to California for a series of seminars. After the Belgian detailed his Big Bang theory, Einstein stood up applauded, and said, “This is the most beautiful and satisfactory explanation of creation to which I have ever listened.”[/b]
Taken somewhat out of context! He did not refer to capital "C" Creationism, but rather the creative event of the universe's beginnings, or it's initial "manufacture" by the undefined but nevertheless "immutable forces of nature" as Einstein referred to them. No personal theologically defined Gods involved, according to him.. What Einstein really believed is better stated here:

"About God, I cannot accept any concept based on the authority of the Church. As long as I can remember, I have resented mass indocrination. I do not believe in the fear of life, in the fear of death, in blind faith. I cannot prove to you that there is no personal God, but if I were to speak of him, I would be a liar.

I do not believe in the God of theology who rewards good and punishes evil. My God created laws that take care of that. His universe is not ruled by wishful thinking, but by immutable laws."

—W. Hermanns, Einstein and the Poet—In Search of the Cosmic Man (Branden Press, Brookline Village, Mass., 1983), p.132, quoted in Jammer, p.123.

Let's also realize that, even if Einstein or Hawking or Hitchens or Dawkins or De Grasse represent the current pinnacle of hominid-achieved intellect through neurological Evolution, that does not necessarily allow even they to understand all there is or will be to know in this universe.

Its readily apparent that at present none of us, even Einstein et al, can explain infinity, gravity or other concepts in the universe, and yet those concepts and facts obviously do exist, and there is an explanation. We're just too dumb so far to be able to grasp the full meanings, and so many prefer to default to an obvious but oversimplified God concept. The resulting mythology is full of holes, purposeful obfuscation and contradictions.

Some day, perhaps, some child of the 29th century will say "AHA" and then tell us idiots the how, when, where and why of it all. Absent, one can easily imagine, some assumed to be necessary mystical supernatural being. The God of current mythology will finally be dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 04:47 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,961,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Atheists don't have a unified cause though. Different atheists stand for different things. The only thing you can get two atheists to agree on is that there is no reason to believe in god.
There is no 'organized' agenda or movement, atheists are simply desire to be free of the willful and sadly growing ignorance of religions.

If religion were not crammed down the throats of society and into out government through the movement of religion to spread ignorance and superstition, religion would not be an issue with me. It really pisses me off when ignorance is the primary product of religion.

Religion will be the catalyst that will end civilization, if not mankind entirely, which is so outrageous for it is all over the willful and intense stupidity of bronze age superstitions.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:02 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,364,683 times
Most atheists don't care who's atheist or not, we're not recruiting!!! we don't have meetings to gain members....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or