U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-12-2012, 09:03 AM
 
9,763 posts, read 6,723,628 times
Reputation: 2484

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You're wasting everybody's time trying to convince everybody that your new definition is the way the world is. Give it up. You are still wrong. Atheism: Belief in zero gods. Nothing to add to the definition, such as "state they know" or anything else.
I see your point, but there are other Atheists that give you and others a bad name because they treat atheism as a religion.


Atheism United Headquarters Video - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 AM
 
9,763 posts, read 6,723,628 times
Reputation: 2484
The Church of Atheism

As atheists, Maher and Dawkins commit the same sins they mock and condemn

By Dhruv K. Singhal
Published: Sunday, December 14, 2008



Its standard-bearers swarm across oceans and mountains, propagating a vitriolic doctrine of bigotry and intolerance like a biblical plague. It inculcates its devotees with a fanatical certainty in the verity of its dogma and the simultaneous disdain for all alternative dogma. Of the great religions, only Christianity and Islam can rival the enthusiasm of its proselytizing efforts.

The name of this creed is evangelical atheism. Now, atheism is certainly not a religion, and the phrase “evangelical atheism” certainly appears oxymoronic. But we have witnessed in our time the rise of a virulent strain of atheism championed by Bill Maher.

The Church of Atheism | Opinion | The Harvard Crimson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 09:09 AM
 
16,089 posts, read 17,884,603 times
Reputation: 15889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I see your point, but there are other Atheists that give you and others a bad name because they treat atheism as a religion.


Atheism United Headquarters Video - YouTube
I see politics in that video not religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 09:15 AM
 
9,763 posts, read 6,723,628 times
Reputation: 2484
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I see politics in that video not religion.
I agree, it is not religion. It is pseudo-religion.

BTW, it is possible to be religious about un-Godly movements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 09:18 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
11,175 posts, read 10,993,793 times
Reputation: 7412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I see your point, but there are other Atheists that give you and others a bad name because they treat atheism as a religion.


I have never, and will never, post my own religious views on a public forum. I suppose there are a few that try to make atheism something it isn't, but I would guess it is a very small minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 09:27 AM
 
16,089 posts, read 17,884,603 times
Reputation: 15889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I agree, it is not religion. It is pseudo-religion.

BTW, it is possible to be religious about un-Godly movements.
Perhaps, but there was no religion or pseudo-religion in that video at all. It's a political statement about the people involved in a particular organization who are a minority and want a voice in changing their world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 09:51 AM
 
8,680 posts, read 13,297,876 times
Reputation: 15272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Making a joke during a debate is a very good tactic.
It's a great way to respond to a post written with an obvious agenda in order to try to incite or goad others into angry responses. Others may take that bait. I see through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 AM
 
9,763 posts, read 6,723,628 times
Reputation: 2484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
It's a great way to respond to a post written with an obvious agenda in order to try to incite or goad others into angry responses. Others may take that bait. I see through it.
You assume trolling and you are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 AM
 
39,033 posts, read 10,825,389 times
Reputation: 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

The Best Richard Dawkins Moment Ever!!! - YouTube


Looks like a Pentecostal meeting.
Only to you and those who for some reason want to make atheism into something it isn't. Even if it was cult of some kind it would be preaching rationality rather than faith in the unverified. I don't know what you are trying to prove here, but you are on a loser.

And so is that ranter in the Harvard crimson. It is an increasing tide of dissent from the religious con - trick. What it preaches is reason, not delusion, so the attempts to discredit it as a religion (what an insult! ) are futile. Its spokesmen speak reason, not faith - based dogma, so accusations of being 'Popes' are ineffective. The speaking out is needful and justified, so whether the stridency of 'New Atheism' offend or not is beside the point. The religious scam has offended us since the 1700's. Time for us to speak up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I agree, it is not religion. It is pseudo-religion.

BTW, it is possible to be religious about un-Godly movements.
Only in your own mind and those at pains to smear it. Not in ours. It is no more religion - like than the votes for women or civil rights movement. Even if religious it not a Faith - based religion. It has truth on its side. Religion has only myth. Your argument falls flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
There are only three options to explain our existence, one is to believe in God, another is agnosticism which states their may be a God but I haven't found proof. The last is atheism where one will state they know God does not exist.

This is not just a non- belief in God but a willful denial of his existence. Agnosticism is where one admits that they do not know if God exists, not having the proof or that there is a personal God who has always existed.
Wrong. Atheism is based on not knowing. Don't know how many times we have said. You can only make your case by making false claims about what atheism says under the 'Well it looks like it to me' act and then proceeds to demolish the false strawman you have set up. It's dishonest and demeaning and does you no credit, even with other theists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I see your point, but there are other Atheists that give you and others a bad name because they treat atheism as a religion.


Atheism United Headquarters Video - YouTube
Even if that was true, why does it give us a bad name? What have you got against religion? As for us, we can see through the presentation to the message which is not a religion, so it doesn't look bad to us. Just to whom, other than yourself, do you think you are making atheism look bad? (p.s liked the music!)

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-12-2012 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:24 AM
 
Location: On a road heaven bound !
10,290 posts, read 8,260,824 times
Reputation: 17788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
It's a great way to respond to a post written with an obvious agenda in order to try to incite or goad others into angry responses. Others may take that bait. I see through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top