U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 PM
 
164 posts, read 161,135 times
Reputation: 90

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Believing in a god does not necessarily mean that you have a strong sense of morality. By the same token, not believing in a god does not mean that morality is absent in your life, nor does it strip you of emotion.
Why is morality an issue in this situation? Let's say all you have to do is press a button, the person in question dies, you don't see it occur, and your bank account is now a million dollars wealthier.

Again, this person has no personal connections on earth and they CHOOSE to die and pay you for your services.

Now if what you did is ultimately greed, and because I believe in God as a judge, I know that I'll have to answer for what I did when I die.

But you...if you are in fact an atheist...are not confronted with the same dillema.

 
Old 01-11-2012, 12:32 PM
 
410 posts, read 646,118 times
Reputation: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
Why is morality an issue in this situation? Let's say all you have to do is press a button, the person in question dies, you don't see it occur, and your bank account is now a million dollars wealthier.

Again, this person has no personal connections on earth and they CHOOSE to die and pay you for your services.

Now if what you did is ultimately greed, and because I believe in God as a judge, I know that I'll have to answer for what I did when I die.

But you...if you are in fact an atheist...are not confronted with the same dillema.
An atheist might not believe they will have someone to answer to after death, but that doesn't mean they are emotionless.
 
Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 PM
 
164 posts, read 161,135 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
Tell me, how is an atheist supposed to act?
Like there are no consequences for your actions and you only have one short life of existance.

Let me ask you this, knowing that you have one life, suppose you're the most powerful person on earth. Now currently, due to overpopulation, and things associated with people, your standard of living is FAR below what it could be. In fact, you could even say you're suffering.

Suppose that this is an atheist society where everyone in the world believes that there is no God.

If you had the means to eliminate the majority of the population, so you could raise your standard of living substantially, considering you only have one life to live, why wouldn't you?

Or what about this situation.

Suppose you are in an all atheist society, and you have some sort of dehabilitating injury that puts you in a state of paralysis. Say a person says they can restore you to full health, but it would cost the life of another person.

Since you believe you only have one life to live, what would you do?
 
Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
 
410 posts, read 646,118 times
Reputation: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
Like there are no consequences for your actions and you only have one short life of existance.

Let me ask you this, knowing that you have one life, suppose you're the most powerful person on earth. Now currently, due to overpopulation, and things associated with people, your standard of living is FAR below what it could be. In fact, you could even say you're suffering.

Suppose that this is an atheist society where everyone in the world believes that there is no God.

If you had the means to eliminate the majority of the population, so you could raise your standard of living substantially, considering you only have one life to live, why wouldn't you?

Or what about this situation.

Suppose you are in an all atheist society, and you have some sort of dehabilitating injury that puts you in a state of paralysis. Say a person says they can restore you to full health, but it would cost the life of another person.

Since you believe you only have one life to live, what would you do?
These ARE issues of morality. Do you think atheists are robots or something, completely void of emotion and lacking the ability to see right from wrong?
 
Old 01-11-2012, 12:40 PM
 
410 posts, read 646,118 times
Reputation: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
I understand this, and honestly, I expect everyone to say "NO" to the question I asked, but to me, that is proof that God exists.


An all atheist world has dire consequences that I don't think anybody realizes when they speak against Christianity.
I'm guessing you don't know many atheists.
 
Old 01-11-2012, 12:51 PM
 
39,202 posts, read 10,880,280 times
Reputation: 5094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
How do you expect Christians and other denominations to respect you, when you exhibit cowardly, pretentious, behavior that does not fall in line with the atheist belief structure.

If you're going to proclaim you're an atheist, at least act like one. If you don't, someone else will.

That's what many of you fail to understand. If the entire world was atheist, why would the world need you?

What benefit do you bring them? Are you a beautiful female or a genius scientist?

Or would there be a group of people in control that would consider you little more than a parasite, (similiar to how many atheists view Christians), that is taking up their land and ruining their lives.

They only live once. Don't you think that eventually someone would exhibit true atheist behavior and take advantage of their situation, thereby, eliminating huge portions of the population and enslaving the rest?

You can't tell me that this is not possible, can you? How long ago was the holocaust?
How can you expect anyone to respect your views when you begin with an 'atheist belief structure' which you invented and then either demand that they act like a bunch of hired killers in matching up to it or admit to being too cowardly to do so.

What we bring to the world is a worldview based on logic and evidence, not on guesswork. And yes, I am aware that there are many who would happily see us exterminated like the vermin they consider us to be. And yes, as I have said, if we were all atheists we could spend our valuable time on better things than countering myth and superstition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
Well, to me, the morality is God. We are all subject to this, so no matter how hard one tries to convey that they are an atheist, this situation should prove otherwise.
We have often discusses God - given morality and the 'situation' turns out that God given absolute morality is neither absolute, god - given nor very moral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
Why is morality an issue in this situation? Let's say all you have to do is press a button, the person in question dies, you don't see it occur, and your bank account is now a million dollars wealthier.

Again, this person has no personal connections on earth and they CHOOSE to die and pay you for your services.

Now if what you did is ultimately greed, and because I believe in God as a judge, I know that I'll have to answer for what I did when I die.

But you...if you are in fact an atheist...are not confronted with the same dillema.
Or dilemma. But I might do it if I thought it was right to do it, though I would refuse payment for it. I wouldn't do it if I thought that person was wrong. Even if he were to immediately find someone else to do it. I do it because my moral stance rejects it and that is better morals than someone who would only refuse to do it because he thought "I believe in God as a judge, I know that I'll have to answer for what I did when I die" so don't tell me it isn't to keep in with God rather than doing the right.

tell me, if someone told you that it was God's will that you kill that person for a million dollars to help some Godly work, would you do it?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-11-2012 at 12:59 PM..
 
Old 01-11-2012, 12:58 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,116,018 times
Reputation: 14896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
So the issue of morality should not exist considering the person in question wants to die, he will not be missed, and he will pay you for your services.
Now if you are an atheist, you shouldn't believe that what you do in life has any consequences on your afterlife, (if you even choose to believe in such a thing), because there is no one there to judge you.

You are essentially able to live a life filled with murderous perversion and greed, (if you so desired), and as long as you don't have any consequences from your fellow men, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.[/quote]

That is absurd. Your presumption is that the threat of some god figure holding the threat of some sort of eternal damnation is necessary to enforce a code of morality. Frankly such a belief is a sad statement about so-called Christians if it means that Christians are incapable of being moral without some threat of enteral damnation.

I may be an atheist, but I am not a sociopath something that you seem to lean towards if the only thing that constrains those tendencies is the threat of eternal damnation.

Quote:
Considering, that we only live once, it would not be logical to turn down this opportunity since there are no consequences except that you will be $1 million wealthier. It is up to you to choose what you do with the money.
Logical for a sociopath, but highly illogical for a moral person.

Quote:
So, are you a real atheist?
Without a doubt because unlike yourself, I don't require the belief in mythology to live a moral life. But thank you for reminding me how immature the minds and logic of Christians can me.
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 PM
 
164 posts, read 161,135 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
How can you expect anyone to respect your views when you begin with an 'atheist belief structure' which you invented and then either demand that they act like a bunch of hired killers in matching up to it or admit to being too cowardly to do so.

What we bring to the world is a worldview based on logic and evidence, not on guesswork. And yes, I am aware that there are many who would happily see us exterminated like the vermin they consider us to be. And yes, as I have said, if we were all atheists we could spend our valuable time on better things than countering myth and superstition.



We have often discusses God - given morality and the 'situation' turns out that God given absolute morality is neither absolute, god - given nor very moral.
You say what you believe is based on logic and evidence, but you say there is no God.

You have just as much proof that there is no God as I do that there is a God.

If you were agnostic, you would have a claim.

But then, you wouldn't be an atheist.
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
1,807 posts, read 2,166,258 times
Reputation: 970
No, because I'm a moral person. God doesn't factor into it in anyway.

Why the name change, Theo?
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
1,807 posts, read 2,166,258 times
Reputation: 970
I think this thread is really quite damning (ha!) for the "morality is based on god" worldview.

People like Kansarado who can't fathom having morality without God aren't truly moral people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top