Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,423 times

Advertisements

Nearly every atheist I know is an agnostic atheist. Like, 99 percent.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,507,079 times

The God Debate II: Harris vs. Craig - YouTube

Just a debate over a similar issue (of morality) with William Lane Graig vs Same Harris.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:12 PM

164 posts, read 186,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Nearly every atheist I know is an agnostic atheist. Like, 99 percent.
So if you don't know what you believe, then why do you deride others for what they believe?

That makes you a coward and a hypocrite, does it not?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
So if you don't know what you believe, then why do you deride others for what they believe?

That makes you a coward and a hypocrite, does it not?
A) You were the one who started a thread to do nothing but deride atheists for their perceived lack of logical consistency. You can't do that without expecting others to point out how stupid your arguments are.

B) Not all beliefs are the same. The belief that the sky is blue is one worth respecting. The belief that Gorboth, the Eight Headed Beast Who Controls the Airwaves is watching us sleep at night is not a belief worth respecting.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:16 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
First you say this:

Quote:
To me, no real atheist would turn something like this down. They have no consequences. Again, it would be illogical to turn this down.

So, are you a real atheist?
Then you say this:

Quote:
Your mistake is that you're judging me, based on your assumptions about ME, rather than answering my question.
You step further into your hypocrisy by answering this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
Tell me, how is an atheist supposed to act?
With this:

Quote:
Like there are no consequences for your actions and you only have one short life of existance.
And then your veiled proselytizing becomes clear with this:

Quote:
An all atheist world has dire consequences that I don't think anybody realizes when they speak against Christianity.
Thus rendering your thread inappropriate for the Atheists and Agnostics sub-forum.

Last edited by Yzette; 01-11-2012 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 01-11-2012, 01:21 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,607 times
Quote:
To me, no real atheist would turn something like this down. They have no consequences. Again, it would be illogical to turn this down.

So, are you a real atheist?
You are assuming that an athiest has no morals and will suffer no consequences from the moral wrong of ending a life.

I consider myself an athiest and I believe murder is wrong. Period. And that its not up to me to end someone's life, even if they want. If they really want to do it, they should do it themselves, but unless someone is threatening my life, I would not do it.

I'd suffer from a personal, moral and mental consequence from that. And that is enough to prevent me from doing it.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:22 PM

164 posts, read 186,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
First you say this:

Then you say this:

You step further into your hypocrisy by answering this:

With this:

And then your veiled proselytizing becomes clear with this.

Thus rendering your thread inappropriate for the Atheists and Agnostics sub-forum.
But if I'm an atheist, I shouldn't have those emotions in the first place.

They should have evolved out of me. Remember, I grew up in an all atheist society where I've learned my entire life that there is no God; therefore, there are no consequences.

I wouldn't have those emotions if the atheist assumption is correct in the sense that we evolve. I see that word pretty consistently on this forum to describe why people became atheists.

So if that's the case, if there is in fact no God to give me those emotions, why would I have them?

Unless of course I'm a punk and a coward, not unlike a man that proclaims to be a hardened gang member in the penitentiary, but the next day you see him with his hair slicked back, red kool-aid on his lips, his shirt tied in a bow, and his finger in another man's pocket.

If I'm an atheist, I have ultimate freedom. It's been indoctornated into my mind at an early age. Why would I grow up with empathy?

This makes little sense to me if you believe that human mind evolves to adapt to its current circumstances.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 PM

861 posts, read 1,147,315 times
As a registered atheist, I choose to live by the Golden Rule (and I don't care if it originated in the bible, the koran, or one of the early Dr. Suess books). It's my personal code of conduct (and it is for most atheists I've known).

Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,483 times
Quote:

They should have evolved out of me. Remember, I grew up in an all atheist society where I've learned my entire life that there is no God; therefore, there are no consequences.

I wouldn't have those emotions if the atheist assumption is correct in the sense that we evolve. I see that word pretty consistently on this forum to describe why people became atheists.

So if that's the case, if there is in fact no God to give me those emotions, why would I have them?

Unless of course I'm a punk and a coward, not unlike a man that proclaims to be a hardened gang member in the penitentiary, but the next day you see him with his hair slicked back, red kool-aid on his lips, his shirt tied in a bow, and his finger in another man's pocket.

If I'm an atheist, I have ultimate freedom. It's been indoctornated into my mind at an early age. Why would I grow up with empathy?

This makes little sense to me if you believe that human mind evolves to adapt to its current circumstances.

I happen to agree with you that moral absolutes are impossible without a higher power. The problem is, you can't conceive of a possible world in which morality has evolved to sustain the species. It is very possible that a moral code would be established even in a world where religion never existed. It just couldn't be absolute, and would change as the condition of society changed.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
What? Atheists are people too, you know. This is disgusting that I have to point this out at all.

Quote:
What? There are countless consequences, as has been pointed out in this thread repeatedly. Read and think better.

Quote:
What? Just because we've evolved doesn't mean we don't have emotions. I can't even fathom how you're coming up with this stupidity.

Quote:
What? God didn't provide us emotions. They are an innate part of being human. That's why sociopaths are seen as different - their brain chemistty/biological make up is different.

Quote:
What? That's all I have for this. What?

Quote:
What? Atheists don't have "ultimate freedom." We live in a lawful society. We have parents who teach us right from wrong. We have biological imperatives that lead us to empathy. All of your premises are so laughably off base that I'm certainly convinced that you must be joking. No one could possibly be this terrible at even basic thought.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism