U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
1,807 posts, read 2,166,559 times
Reputation: 970

Advertisements

I'm not sure Kansas here isn't a sociopath himself, in all honesty.

 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 PM
 
410 posts, read 646,200 times
Reputation: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
But if I'm an atheist, I shouldn't have those emotions in the first place.

They should have evolved out of me. Remember, I grew up in an all atheist society where I've learned my entire life that there is no God; therefore, there are no consequences.

I wouldn't have those emotions if the atheist assumption is correct in the sense that we evolve. I see that word pretty consistently on this forum to describe why people became atheists.

So if that's the case, if there is in fact no God to give me those emotions, why would I have them?

Unless of course I'm a punk and a coward, not unlike a man that proclaims to be a hardened gang member in the penitentiary, but the next day you see him with his hair slicked back, red kool-aid on his lips, his shirt tied in a bow, and his finger in another man's pocket.

If I'm an atheist, I have ultimate freedom. It's been indoctornated into my mind at an early age. Why would I grow up with empathy?

This makes little sense to me if you believe that human mind evolves to adapt to its current circumstances.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
There is no logic to your argument here. YOU believe in god. YOU believe that god gives us emotions and morals. BUT - you also believe that if we don't believe in god that we are void of those things? If god creates all of us and gives us those things, wouldn't we still have them regardless of whether or not we believe in god?
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
 
164 posts, read 161,157 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I happen to agree with you that moral absolutes are impossible without a higher power. The problem is, you can't conceive of a possible world in which morality has evolved to sustain the species. It is very possible that a moral code would be established even in a world where religion never existed. It just couldn't be absolute, and would change as the condition of society changed.
I believe a moral code would be established, but like most nations in history, they would be established to reflect the dominant condition of society.

For instance, there have been many societies established that revolved around a particular religion and the laws associated with it.

If atheism is the status quo, overtime the idea of no ultimate consequences and one life to live, would be indoctrinated into the minds of society, and eventually all those that control society would have a similiar mindset.

Now if they grew up as children with no fear of consequences and realization that they only have one life to live, what would stop them from eliminating a large portion of society in order to increase their personal welfare?

They certainly have the weaponry available, and I'm absolutely certain they can manipulate a certain segment of society into doing their ill will.

Overtime, would this not be the result of a fully atheist society?
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
 
2,777 posts, read 3,034,237 times
Reputation: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
To me, no real atheist would turn something like this down. They have no consequences. Again, it would be illogical to turn this down.

So, are you a real atheist?
The atheist factor is irrelevant. A true Christian believes he will be forgiven for all Earthly sins anyway, so can do as they please as well as any atheist can, since neither has consequences in this life or the next.
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,706 posts, read 3,339,933 times
Reputation: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
The atheist factor is irrelevant. A true Christian believes he will be forgiven for all Earthly sins anyway, so can do as they please as well as any atheist can, since neither has consequences in this life or the next.
That's how I roll. I do all sorts of dastardly deeds, but I plan on praying for forgiveness all the time in case I die unexpectedly.
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:36 PM
 
164 posts, read 161,157 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
There is no logic to your argument here. YOU believe in god. YOU believe that god gives us emotions and morals. BUT - you also believe that if we don't believe in god that we are void of those things? If god creates all of us and gives us those things, wouldn't we still have them regardless of whether or not we believe in god?
Yes, which is why there is a God, and I don't believe that there are many true atheists in society.

If there are TRUE atheists, they are of this world.

I'm just agitated that people who don't fully confide in their beliefs are audacious enough to deride Christians.

In addition, in the first book of John, he says that anti-christs are amongst us. These are the true atheists and they are of this world.

And this is my reasoning, I'm not prothelyzing. It is what it is.

With that said, people can be taught to ignore emotions.
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:39 PM
 
39,205 posts, read 10,887,543 times
Reputation: 5096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
You say what you believe is based on logic and evidence, but you say there is no God.

You have just as much proof that there is no God as I do that there is a God.

If you were agnostic, you would have a claim.

But then, you wouldn't be an atheist.
Atheists are agnostics. You cannot logically believe in what you do not know exists.

Now, I suppose you wouldn't care to answer my dilemma? "if someone told you that it was God's will that you kill that person for a million dollars to help some Godly work, would you do it?"
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:39 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,119,175 times
Reputation: 14896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
You deride me because I believe in this "magical" being, yet you have no proof that a being does not exist and if you are as open and subjective as you perceive yourself to be, you should be agnostic.
You come into the Atheist forum with your absurd presumptions, and you expect to not be derided?

Quote:
But instead you believe that everything was created from nothing, and then it formed dinasaurs for no apparent reason.
I believe the topic was morality not the existence or non-existence of your god.

Quote:
Yet somehow you feel superior to Christians and deride them that we have this magical man in the sky when you don't even know what you believe.
I don't know if I feel superior of all Christians but I certainly feel superior to you. As I pointed out previously, I don't need the threat of eternal damnation to lead a moral life even in the face of a $1million payoff.
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 PM
 
164 posts, read 161,157 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Atheists are agnostics. You cannot logically believe in what you do not know exists.

Now, I suppose you wouldn't care to answer my dilemma? "if someone told you that it was God's will that you kill that person for a million dollars to help some Godly work, would you do it?"
Find me a quote in the Bible where Jesus permits us to murder.
 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 PM
 
7,813 posts, read 10,709,719 times
Reputation: 3443
Thread closed pending moderator consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top