U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 PM

3,637 posts, read 2,701,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I find myself crossing out the "in god we trust" on dollar bills...

Is that extreme?
No. But probably a pointless use of your energies.

Attacking cultural manifestations of religion like that is a dark spiral. You will find them everywhere if you start to look. You can not even say "goodbye" because the root of that phrase comes from "God be with you".

Your heart is in the right place but your use of it is a pointless waste. Look up your local chapter of AAI (Atheist Alliance international) and see how your energies could be better invested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 12:45 PM

9,783 posts, read 13,372,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Religion is much more pervasive in terms of the political and social spheres in the U.S. than it is in the more secular European countries. American atheists aren't really extremist, they're just more outspoken about their criticism of religion. For example, the anti science and anti gay movements in America are primarily motivated by religious beliefs. You wouldn't hear as much criticism toward religion if so many believers weren't so content to legislate their beliefs into law.
That's my perception of the situation. We live in a country where evangelist Christian faiths are much more popular than in the EU; this means that we are inundated with evangelism to a degree that is greater in the EU.

These more fundamentalist and exclusionist/exceptionalist faiths have led to large pushes for power; although we have a separation of church and state, and the bible instructs its adherents to abide by the laws of the nations they live in, many pastors at churches around the US instruct their parishoners on how to vote, and will even go so far as to tell them that voting for a specific candidate or proposition may take a toll on their spirit and condemn them to hell. The people that they vote in tend to push their desire to bring a Christian theocracy to the halls of our government and openly state that it dictates their policies.

It's like the gay marriage debate: I'm fine with gay marriage and think it should be 100% legal. The only arguments against gay marriage or homosexuality are rooted in spiritually-rooted social beliefs. We have a separation of church and state that should negate this argument from the get-go, and yet we have powerful lobbies with politicians in their pockets, as well as politicians who have built their entire career around trying to keep gays from being able to marry.

This is the reason that I think that atheists in the US may tend to be more vocal or "extreme" in their beliefs than elsewhere; that, and the fact that many of us originated in these fundamentalist Christian households. I was raised in a split protestant/Catholic household for most of my childhood, and then my dad converted to Catholicism and went socially conservative - I hated it. The Catholic church freaked me out, the priests gave off a creepy vibe, there was such emphasis on guilt; it was no better than the greedy, arrogant, holier-than-thou protestant flock that he'd left. I've had so many Christians talk down to me and tell me that my opinion doesn't matter because I don't believe in Jesus, or tell me that I'm a bad person because of it; I've been discriminated against in my workplace - the business I worked for was sued by a neurotic/insane subordinate who believed in some weird Christian/Sikh/"The Secret" conglomoration was constantly trying to get me to convert or believe or engage in discussions about religion and then started a smear campain against me saying I was direspecting her faith(s) by not wanting to talk about it, and I've had managers give me dismissive or hostile treatment versus other employees who they share a faith or church with in the past... so yeah, I have a fairly visceral reaction to people trying to push their faith into everyone else's day-to-day life.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:05 AM

15,310 posts, read 10,355,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
And since most Americans don't speak any other language than English,.....
...and most of them don't even speak that. For years I have been trying to tell my American friends that there is no such word as 'gotten'; it is aluminium not aluminum; the word 'route' is pronounced 'root' not 'rowt' and there is no need to put the word 'had' in every sentence. 'He had went' is NOT English and nor is...'I didn't came'.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:43 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,288,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...and most of them don't even speak that. For years I have been trying to tell my American friends that there is no such word as 'gotten'; it is aluminium not aluminum; the word 'route' is pronounced 'root' not 'rowt' and there is no need to put the word 'had' in every sentence. 'He had went' is NOT English and nor is...'I didn't came'.
I'm always amused at non-Americans who resist encroaching 'Americanisms'... that are actually simply English words that predate America but have fallen by the wayside outside of the North America (yep - 'gotten' is alive and well with our Canadian friends, too). Maybe they should read more Shakespeare - the Bard's frequent use of the word 'gotten' should indicate that its origins are in the British Isles.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I'm always amused at non-Americans who resist encroaching 'Americanisms'... that are actually simply English words that predate America but have fallen by the wayside outside of the North America (yep - 'gotten' is alive and well with our Canadian friends, too). Maybe they should read more Shakespeare - the Bard's frequent use of the word 'gotten' should indicate that its origins are in the British Isles.

Shakespeare???? LOL! THAT charlatan. Please don't think that his plays are an indication of good English or even English proper. He invented over 1700 of our common words by changing nouns into verbs, changing verbs into adjectives and connecting words never before used together. So again...there is no such word as 'gotten' in the English language.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:11 AM

39,217 posts, read 10,895,806 times
Quote:
Shakespeare???? LOL! THAT charlatan. Please don't think that his plays are an indication of good English or even English proper. He invented over 1700 of our common words by changing nouns into verbs, changing verbs into adjectives and connecting words never before used together. So again...there is no such word as 'gotten' in the English language.
Yep, he used the word "Let" (to allow) as though it meant 'prevent'. And I don't know whether he's to blame but English has never been able to decide whether 'cleave' means to shear asunder or to stick together. So we don't use the word at all.

Oh, an an on -topic comment - two of the four atheist horsemen are not American.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:32 PM

16,105 posts, read 17,923,003 times
Quote:
Aluminum is perfectly correct although not preferred in other countries. In scientific publications you are correct, but in the US and Canada in everyday usage, aluminum is correct.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/aluminium-aluminum/

Aluminum or Aluminium?

Quote:
In 1925, the American Chemical Society decided to go back to the original aluminum, so the United States uses a different name from most other countries.
Quote:
The IUPAC periodic table lists both spellings.
Quote:
The Austrian scientist, Karl Joseph Bayer, who discovered it actually named it Aluminum. The Brits came along after and decided it had to “rhyme” with the other elements on the periodic table and renamed it Aluminium.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Aluminum is perfectly correct although not preferred in other countries. In scientific publications you are correct, but in the US and Canada in everyday usage, aluminum is correct.

Aluminium vs. aluminum - Grammarist

Aluminum or Aluminium?
Well I never!!!! Thanks for that nana. I'll keep my mouth shut about that one in future.

Now what about the word 'route' and the apparent need to put the word 'had' in every sentence. What about 'He had went', 'I didn't came' and 'Did you get one yet.

Wait...that might be off topic.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:57 AM

1,490 posts, read 969,030 times
Quote:
So he was basically the Deepak Chopra of his time?

Old 12-30-2015, 04:18 PM

13,493 posts, read 5,014,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lille Ida View Post
Being from Scandinavia - Norway, Sweden and Denmark are among the most secular western nations in the world. We have large number of Atheists/Agnostics with religious people being the minority. However, our holidays and culture are still Christian. Most of our national holidays are religious Christian with few secular ones'.

Despite us having very large nonbelievers population, we are never against the religious people. Sweden also has separation of church and state.

Our public schools still teaches religion, and on some high holidays many schools take students to churches. On St. Lucia's Day, students sing also about Jesus Christ. Many schools also teaches bible lessons after class if students are interested.

From what I've seen and read, it seems like Atheists in the U.S. are very Anti-religion. They try to take away all religious things in America, despite the U.S. having 80% Christians and only 1.6% Atheists/Agnostics. Yes, around 16% are Non-religious but that does not mean they don't believe in God, they are just not members of any religious places. So America could be considered a religious nation.

Why not leave religious people alone and let them keep or make religion in the U.S. as much as possible.... ignore and laugh at them (My tips).
Yes, I understand it could be annoying when religious people get mad and angry at nonbelievers, but if you guys ignore them then they wouldn't say anything hopefully. In Scandinavia I never heard any fight between religious and non-religious people at all, maybe because us non-believers don't care what they do in our country, because we like Christian holidays and culture.
err, how many people do you have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism