U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:20 AM

17,853 posts, read 12,233,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lille Ida View Post
Being from Scandinavia - Norway, Sweden and Denmark are among the most secular western nations in the world. We have large number of Atheists/Agnostics with religious people being the minority. However, our holidays and culture are still Christian. Most of our national holidays are religious Christian with few secular ones'.

Despite us having very large nonbelievers population, we are never against the religious people. Sweden also has separation of church and state.

Our public schools still teaches religion, and on some high holidays many schools take students to churches. On St. Lucia's Day, students sing also about Jesus Christ. Many schools also teaches bible lessons after class if students are interested.

From what I've seen and read, it seems like Atheists in the U.S. are very Anti-religion. They try to take away all religious things in America, despite the U.S. having 80% Christians and only 1.6% Atheists/Agnostics. Yes, around 16% are Non-religious but that does not mean they don't believe in God, they are just not members of any religious places. So America could be considered a religious nation.

Why not leave religious people alone and let them keep or make religion in the U.S. as much as possible.... ignore and laugh at them (My tips).
Yes, I understand it could be annoying when religious people get mad and angry at nonbelievers, but if you guys ignore them then they wouldn't say anything hopefully. In Scandinavia I never heard any fight between religious and non-religious people at all, maybe because us non-believers don't care what they do in our country, because we like Christian holidays and culture.
I don't think the atheists in the US are more 'extreme'.

It's just that so many conservative born-again evangelical creationists are more extreme in comparison to other countries.

Last edited by Ceist; 01-21-2012 at 02:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 7,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWhyBother View Post
Keeping religion out of public schools isn't just for Atheists, rather the actions Atheists have been taking have benefited all people who are not Christian.
Why u want that? I thought USA is a Christian country because it says on the money and they have christian holidays

Old 01-21-2012, 08:58 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,885,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasoo View Post
Why u want that? I thought USA is a Christian country because it says on the money and they have christian holidays
You thought wrong.

And please tell where on our money does it say the United States is a Christian country?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:07 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,978,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
sarcasm is not allowed?
You might want to read the sticky, but don't take it entirely at face value.

Reminds me of Fox news advertizing themselves as "fair and balanced"

Old 01-22-2012, 05:28 AM

526 posts, read 579,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I don't think the atheists in the US are more 'extreme'.

It's just that so many conservative born-again evangelical creationists are more extreme in comparison to other countries.
You are quite right!
Americans are the only people on earth to have had a president who ascended to the Heavens like Jesus did !

Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 AM

7 posts, read 8,769 times
Yeah I moved from Norway and it says In God We Trust on the money .... do all believe in God in America?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 PM

16,105 posts, read 17,919,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LezzyNorwegian View Post
Yeah I moved from Norway and it says In God We Trust on the money .... do all believe in God in America?
No not all americans believe in god as is obvious from the american atheists who post on this forum.

When and why was "In God We Trust" placed on US currency? - Under God in the Pledge - ProCon.org

Quote:
"The motto IN GOD WE TRUST was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the Civil War.

Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase received many appeals from devout persons throughout the country, urging that the United States recognize the Deity on United States coins. From Treasury Department records, it appears that the first such appeal came in a letter dated November 13, 1861. It was written to Secretary Chase by Rev. M. R. Watkinson, Minister of the Gospel from Ridleyville, Pennsylvania.
During the height of the cold war, it was added to the paper currency. The under god in the pledge of allegiance was added in the same time frame. The hysteria about communism during the McCarthy era was responsible for much of this.

Quote:
A law passed by the 84th Congress (P.L. 84-140) and approved by the President on July 30, 1956, the President approved a Joint Resolution of the 84th Congress, declaring IN GOD WE TRUST the national motto of the United States. IN GOD WE TRUST was first used on paper money in 1957, when it appeared on the one-dollar silver certificate. The first paper currency bearing the motto entered circulation on October 1, 1957

Old 01-22-2012, 10:07 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,885,912 times
Quote:
No, which is why those of us who believe in the founding principles of this country are fighting to have it removed.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,978,161 times
Quote:
And that is a problem, along with the inclusion of god in the pledge of allegiance to our country.

James Madison recognized the problem a long time ago, when he said;
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations."

Old 01-22-2012, 10:19 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,985,014 times
On the edge of the Dutch Two Euro coin it says "God zij met ons" which translates to "God is with us." This was also on the guilder.

Bestand:Rijksdaalders met randschrift.jpg - Wikipedia

So it's not weirdly unique to the US to have coins mention God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism