U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 09:13 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,641,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lille Ida View Post
In Scandinavia I never heard any fight between religious and non-religious people at all, maybe because us non-believers don't care what they do in our country, because we like Christian holidays and culture.
What about the church arsons in Norway in the 90s?

Anyway to answer your question atheism in America seems to take on a more confrontational stance because the more prominent voices of Christianity in America are tied to conservative politics which is in part predicated upon the idea that some elements of society, namely non-white, non-Protestant, non-wealthy Americans have no legitimate place in public life. It's not as if American atheism intentionally began as a confrontational thing, it was forced into that role.

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 02-25-2012 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,480,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
"Now atheist are going to extremes and religious people people feel under attack." Allright, that's perceptions rather than fear. Tinker with the semantics as you like.
But couldn't the same thing be said about Christians?

The Salem Witch trials, the Inquisition and many, many more...............

Old 02-26-2012, 01:02 PM

124 posts, read 65,159 times
Because atheists in Europe and Japan are not dominated by a population that is religious with religion in their politics..so they have no reason to be "Extreme"...though I personally don't think atheists in the US are "Extremists"..many of the things the christian right does are much more extreme.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:22 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,452,503 times
Quote:
Being from Scandinavia - Norway, Sweden and Denmark are among the most secular western nations in the world. We have large number of Atheists/Agnostics with religious people being the minority. However, our holidays and culture are still Christian. Most of our national holidays are religious Christian with few secular ones'.

Despite us having very large nonbelievers population, we are never against the religious people. Sweden also has separation of church and state.

Our public schools still teaches religion, and on some high holidays many schools take students to churches. On St. Lucia's Day, students sing also about Jesus Christ. Many schools also teaches bible lessons after class if students are interested.

From what I've seen and read, it seems like Atheists in the U.S. are very Anti-religion. They try to take away all religious things in America, despite the U.S. having 80% Christians and only 1.6% Atheists/Agnostics. Yes, around 16% are Non-religious but that does not mean they don't believe in God, they are just not members of any religious places. So America could be considered a religious nation.

Why not leave religious people alone and let them keep or make religion in the U.S. as much as possible.... ignore and laugh at them (My tips).
Yes, I understand it could be annoying when religious people get mad and angry at nonbelievers, but if you guys ignore them then they wouldn't say anything hopefully. In Scandinavia I never heard any fight between religious and non-religious people at all, maybe because us non-believers don't care what they do in our country, because we like Christian holidays and culture.

It's because American Christians are extremists.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:23 AM

39,225 posts, read 10,895,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
But couldn't the same thing be said about Christians?

The Salem Witch trials, the Inquisition and many, many more...............
Quite true. I am quite sure that, if we were to remain silent, the more extreme ends of theism would see it as a green light to get more pushy, influential and, in the end, coercive than they can get away with right now. I would guess that's why American atheists come across as more extremist than the Old World ones, because there is more to react against. But of course it could be a cultural thing.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:58 AM

7,149 posts, read 7,985,009 times
Quote:
Being from Scandinavia - Norway, Sweden and Denmark are among the most secular western nations in the world. We have large number of Atheists/Agnostics with religious people being the minority. However, our holidays and culture are still Christian. Most of our national holidays are religious Christian with few secular ones'.

Despite us having very large nonbelievers population, we are never against the religious people. Sweden also has separation of church and state.

Our public schools still teaches religion, and on some high holidays many schools take students to churches. On St. Lucia's Day, students sing also about Jesus Christ. Many schools also teaches bible lessons after class if students are interested.

From what I've seen and read, it seems like Atheists in the U.S. are very Anti-religion. They try to take away all religious things in America, despite the U.S. having 80% Christians and only 1.6% Atheists/Agnostics. Yes, around 16% are Non-religious but that does not mean they don't believe in God, they are just not members of any religious places. So America could be considered a religious nation.

Why not leave religious people alone and let them keep or make religion in the U.S. as much as possible.... ignore and laugh at them (My tips).
Yes, I understand it could be annoying when religious people get mad and angry at nonbelievers, but if you guys ignore them then they wouldn't say anything hopefully. In Scandinavia I never heard any fight between religious and non-religious people at all, maybe because us non-believers don't care what they do in our country, because we like Christian holidays and culture.
sweeden does not have a seperation of church and state like the usa or france does , sweeden has a state religon ,lutheranism

Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,382,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanishGuy View Post
Simple answer.

Look at what they are up against.
Quite so. I moved to the States from the far less overtly religious Canadian culture. Here, it's astounding how perverse and vigorous the Christian cultures are, or would love to be. If they had their way, their particular religious cultisms would be forced on all of us in our schools, our legislated rules and regs, a woman's individual rights to her own lifestyles and physiologies, our shopping center music, our media biases, and in numerous publicly tax-funded but faith-based activities. See: G. W. Bush and his "faith-based activities" agenda, which sadly included invading Iraq and thus getting our fine young men and women killed for George's banal religious beliefs. Good Gawd Ahmightee! He and Rumsfeldt should be held criminally negligent and then tried for felony manslaughter.

All of which I personally object to, and strongly. But then I run into endless, abject, and embarrassingly uneducated ideas here and on billboards, where the supporters imagine that their otherwise useful philosophical biblical guidebook is absolutely, well, literal!

How banal and absurd, huh? I surely hope you don't suffer such ill-educated propensities over in the Scandinavian countries. Your educational system is far superior to ours, of course. Yes/No?

BTW, it's been proven that there's a strong correlation between the quality of objective education, including keeping up with science's endless achievements, and the level of stunningly ill-educated beliefs in a society, wrought by relentless and mandated Christianity. More religion = less objectivity (and more imaginative creativity and beliefs in the unbelievable!) Not so much from Catholics & outright Protestants I'll agree, but those Suthunn Baptists? Holy Cruddola!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:10 AM

4,401 posts, read 2,989,261 times
Quote:

Scandinavia does not traditionally act as a kind of world police. The U.S. does. The possible religious views of our politicians affect other nations in this way. A percentage of our citizens believed George Busch to be following directions from God, and Islam to be the teachings of the Devil. It was surely a minority percentage that believed this, but such statements could be witnessed often enough to be disturbing.

Last edited by Clintone; 03-26-2012 at 08:19 AM..

Old 03-26-2012, 09:06 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,902,143 times
Well, since this has been resurrected. lol

In 2007, the European Court of Human Rights ruled in favor of Norwegian parents who had sued the Norwegian state. The case was about a subject in compulsory school, kristendomskunnskap med religions- og livssynsorientering (Teachings of Christianity with orientation about religion and philosophy), KRL. The applicants complained that the refusal to grant full exemption from KRL prevented them from ensuring that their children received an education in conformity with their atheist views and philosophical convictions. A few years earlier, in 2004, the UN Committee on Human Rights in Geneva had given its support to the parents.[22] In 2008 the subject was renamed to Religion, livssyn og etikk (Religion, philosophy and ethics).[23] The majority of this course is however still tied to Christianity. Philosophy and ethics are not properly introduced until after compulsory school. The largest Christian school in Norway has 1,400 pupils and 120 employees.[24] Kristne Friskolers Forbund is an interest group of approximately 130 Christian schools and colleges, including 12 Christian private schools.[25]

Religion in Norway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They do it as well. Maybe the op just needed a history lesson because there have been plenty of religious conflict going on over there. They wouldn't even allow Jews to live there. Islam was the dominant religion for a period of time and I don't see them celebrating those holidays, and as I've posted they don't want religiously dominated education either. I think I'd answer the question with, "you're just like us, just smaller in size so you are less noisy to the world." When religion had influence in your country you didn't like it either and you did something about it also, just like us. It's just easier to do when 1/2 your country doesn't go to church.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,269 times
christians have political power.,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism