Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The JFK Assassination was a conspiracy, and you'll see that when the remaining documents are declassified in 2039 (documents classified Top Secret Cosmic undergo review at 75 years after classification).

Pearl Harbor was a conspiracy, and you'll see that when the remaining documents are declassified in 2022.

9-11 was a conspiracy. Your government knows that, but it is not in government's nature to fully investigate such matters. Better to close ranks and keep silent. Why? That should be painfully obvious. Would you as a parent voluntarily admit to your family, friends, neighbors and school authorities that your child was running around out of control acting without your consent or authority? No. So you really believe the government is going to admit that its employees in various agencies may be running around out of control acting without authority? No, they aren't.

Is Roswell a conspiracy? Yes. About what? I don't know.
Are you seriously saying these things or mocking people for believing these things?

If you seriously believe them than it almost fits Chesterton's adage of "When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing -- they believe in anything." (Understand I'm not saying most atheists do. But an atheist who gets all haughty with me about how smart they are, only to turn around and say they believe in 9-11 and Roswell conspiracies. If that's the case it makes me feel dumb I ever let you shake me up even a little)

If you are mocking conspiracy theorists I get that. As they can get pretty out there with Roswell or 9-11 Trutherism or the like. Still I guess I can sympathize with finding answers "unsatisfying." And thinking up a conspiracy makes life seem less random. Maybe "you" aren't in control, but there's a weird satisfaction in someone being in control. So you don't have to live in a world where random crazies can kill the President or where grand skyscrapers can be taken down by backward Fundamentalists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 06:56 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
I am an atheist and I don't get offended by other people celebrating their religious beliefs. But I think one reason why SOME atheists may overreact is because this country is so religious and the religious right is so extreme, that they feel they need to be extreme in order to push back against their fundamentalism and aggression.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:42 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I'm not so sure it's overreaction. Here in Perry's home state, it's especially pushy. I agree with the PR angle, but sometimes I feel that it's so unlikely for a nonbeliever to get any respect at all that there isn't much to lose by being "extreme".

Old 01-16-2012, 05:41 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Are you seriously saying these things or mocking people for believing these things?

If you seriously believe them than it almost fits Chesterton's adage of "When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing -- they believe in anything." (Understand I'm not saying most atheists do. But an atheist who gets all haughty with me about how smart they are, only to turn around and say they believe in 9-11 and Roswell conspiracies. If that's the case it makes me feel dumb I ever let you shake me up even a little)

If you are mocking conspiracy theorists I get that. As they can get pretty out there with Roswell or 9-11 Trutherism or the like. Still I guess I can sympathize with finding answers "unsatisfying." And thinking up a conspiracy makes life seem less random. Maybe "you" aren't in control, but there's a weird satisfaction in someone being in control. So you don't have to live in a world where random crazies can kill the President or where grand skyscrapers can be taken down by backward Fundamentalists.
Atheists come in all sizes and Mircea evidently comes in the size that accommodates certain conspiracy theories like Rosswell, the JFK assassination, the US Goverment (or Mossad, or both) were behind 9/11, but not the moon - landings are a hoax, as that at least has surely been refuted.

What it shows is that atheists may not buy into the God - claims for various reason and they may not always be carefully reasoned out reasons. That isn't the real point, any more than evolution theory is justified because Hovind is doing a spot of porridge.

We ought to go with the best evidence and atheism is based on some pretty sound reasoning. I may not agree now about 9/II and Rosswell (and also Soccorro, come to that) but maybe I still have my doubts about JFK. was jack Ruby a fall guy.

That should not be taken as pretext for dismissing the rationale of atheism, even if an atheist believes in the crystal skulls.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:49 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,096 times
Have you seen our politicians and citizens?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:01 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
having lived both in the US and in Europe, I think in the US one gets faced with religious zeolots much more often and they are more vigilant. I feel more at ease here in Europe as an atheist and don't feel like I have to explain myself. I had some religious people at the door a week or so ago and I told them I didn't believe in deities and they didn't push or even question it...in the US, there would have been some argument or pushing from their side.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lille Ida View Post
Being from Scandinavia - Norway, Sweden and Denmark are among the most secular western nations in the world. We have large number of Atheists/Agnostics with religious people being the minority. However, our holidays and culture are still Christian. Most of our national holidays are religious Christian with few secular ones'.

Despite us having very large nonbelievers population, we are never against the religious people. Sweden also has separation of church and state.

Our public schools still teaches religion, and on some high holidays many schools take students to churches. On St. Lucia's Day, students sing also about Jesus Christ. Many schools also teaches bible lessons after class if students are interested.

From what I've seen and read, it seems like Atheists in the U.S. are very Anti-religion. They try to take away all religious things in America, despite the U.S. having 80% Christians and only 1.6% Atheists/Agnostics. Yes, around 16% are Non-religious but that does not mean they don't believe in God, they are just not members of any religious places. So America could be considered a religious nation.

Why not leave religious people alone and let them keep or make religion in the U.S. as much as possible.... ignore and laugh at them (My tips).
Yes, I understand it could be annoying when religious people get mad and angry at nonbelievers, but if you guys ignore them then they wouldn't say anything hopefully. In Scandinavia I never heard any fight between religious and non-religious people at all, maybe because us non-believers don't care what they do in our country, because we like Christian holidays and culture.
Perhaps because American Christianity tends to be a little more hardcore, extremist and bigoted than European Christianity.

Until I went to the US I never realised how extreme and fundamentalist some Christians could be. The hateful bigotry is sometimes eye opening, terrifying and really IMO very dangerous.

I think Atheists in the US are simply reacting to the intrusion into their lives and the assumption which is made that all "good" Americans have the "Lord" in their heart and adhere to only one "truth". Believe me being preached at over and over again and told you are going to go to Hell and should repent, gets old really quickly.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:28 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Because Christianity is so overtly over influential here in America. We live in a country where a person can't be elected President unless they believe in the bronze age desert myths.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:34 PM

511 posts, read 491,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
I am an atheist and I don't get offended by other people celebrating their religious beliefs. But I think one reason why SOME atheists may overreact is because this country is so religious and the religious right is so extreme, that they feel they need to be extreme in order to push back against their fundamentalism and aggression.
So some atheists subscribe to the "nanny-nanny boo-boo" theory.
That speaks volumes.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:07 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
So some atheists subscribe to the "nanny-nanny boo-boo" theory.
That speaks volumes.
What is that supposed to mean exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism