U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,390,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
when I lived in Texas, you could NOT Shop on SUNDAY !!!!
In Texas, Retail `Blue Laws` Headed For Last Round-up - Chicago Tribune

I remember when the Blue Laws were repealed, I was one of the most vocal people against them, I wrote countless letters to state representatives, the governor, senators etc for years, as well as speaking out against them with letters to the newspapers and by pointing out to everyone I knew how absolutely archaic the laws were.
The greatest enemy to this freedom was the religious right. And not just the religious right, but the catholics and many mainline protestant churches wpoke out in favor of blue laws.
Think about it...you can't shop, buy booze, or do much of anything on Suandays so what would you do? Go to Church !!!
Many Christians were devestated when we finally got the laws passed to repeal these blue laws.
The rest of us went out and celebrated, because what we saw was a weakening of Christianity and the triumph of freedom over religion
This sounds pretty normal to me, here in the Netherlands the shops are always closed on Sundays (except a few times a year when they're allowed to be open). I've never given it much thought, there's not much of a debate about it here. Doesn't really bother me anyway, so what if the shops are closed once a week? If you know this in advance you can just buy the stuff you need the day before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 10:37 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,558,234 times
Nothing is closed by law in the U.S., as far as I know.
Blue laws in my state still dictate when alcohol can be served on Sunday, and alcohol can't be sold on Sunday from a liquor store except if it's ten miles from the New Hampshire border because people can buy alcohol in NH and there's no sales tax and it's all rather confusing.
I remember in Virginia, you couldn't buy a kite or a bathing suit or a record on Sunday.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:41 AM

7,148 posts, read 7,969,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Nothing is closed by law in the U.S., as far as I know.
Blue laws in my state still dictate when alcohol can be served on Sunday, and alcohol can't be sold on Sunday from a liquor store except if it's ten miles from the New Hampshire border because people can buy alcohol in NH and there's no sales tax and it's all rather confusing.
I remember in Virginia, you couldn't buy a kite or a bathing suit or a record on Sunday.
do stores close on christmas day in the U.S ? , i dont just mean the likes of wallmart or the big retailers , every single corner family run store ?

Old 04-20-2012, 10:57 AM

16,093 posts, read 17,892,708 times
There are lots of silly laws still on the books in the US

Fun Facts: Blue Laws of the USA - Part 1

There are still places with Sunday closing laws, I think:

SUNDAY LAW IS COMING

Note that the US post office is closed on Sunday everywhere in the US. The only post office that was not was in Alfred, NY when I went to college there. At that time, it was closed on Saturday because
Alfred was a Seventh Day Baptist (no, not Seventh Day Adventist, but Baptist) town and the sabbath was Saturday. That has since been changed though and I cannot find anything about the history online anymore.

Most stores are closed on Christmas day because the retailers figure that most people will not be shopping on that day and most of their employees want the day off to spend with family. Interestingly, many movie theaters are open on that day.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:16 PM

4,885 posts, read 3,974,291 times
well, if a person who runs a mom and pop store want to be cclosed on Sunday then I would see no problem with this. When I was a kid, barber shops (in texas) were always closed on Sunday and Monday so that the guys who hacked hair could have a two day weekend like everyone else. Saturday was probably the busiest day.
But what we had in Texas was the governemnet passing laws that said "You cannot sell these items on consecutive saturday and sunday: <Long list followed> " So in effect, the Christian church had the state governemnet in it's pocket trying to keep stores closed on Sunday, trying to give people nothing to do except go to church. It is not right for someone like myself, who did not believe all the things ebing preached on Sunday, to be told "OH OH HERE you can't buy a new leash and collar on Sunday It is against the law"
You can buy cat food, but not a bowl to eat it out of.

I was glad to see that law repealed, and the churches spoke out loudest against that repeal when it happened. They had a Sunday morning of weeping and gnashing of teeth. I guess.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:09 PM

56,037 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
There are lots of silly laws still on the books in the US

Fun Facts: Blue Laws of the USA - Part 1

There are still places with Sunday closing laws, I think:

SUNDAY LAW IS COMING

Note that the US post office is closed on Sunday everywhere in the US. The only post office that was not was in Alfred, NY when I went to college there. At that time, it was closed on Saturday because
Alfred was a Seventh Day Baptist (no, not Seventh Day Adventist, but Baptist) town and the sabbath was Saturday. That has since been changed though and I cannot find anything about the history online anymore.

Most stores are closed on Christmas day because the retailers figure that most people will not be shopping on that day and most of their employees want the day off to spend with family. Interestingly, many movie theaters are open on that day.

Business for movie theaters on Christmas is too good for them to close. Chinese food and movies is the traditional Christmas Day activity for Jews. As a matter of fact, a Jewish guy in my office was needling a Hindu guy in my office because, since so many Hindus have moved into the NY metro area over the past decades, it's becoming crowded at the Chinese food places and movie theaters on Christmas Day!

Old 04-22-2012, 04:25 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,558,234 times
I once went to see "My Dinner With Andre" on Christmas Day, and got sold out of the first show.
Convenience stores certainly stay open , if nothing else, to sell batteries for all those gifty doodads.
I guess because I've always worked that holiday (restaurants, hospitals) it seems odd to me that anything would be closed, rather, that anything would be *ordered* closed.
I do remember, in middle school, seeing how many holidays the Catholic kids observed. Seemed every week was another "Feast of Saint Whomever" day or something.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,390,706 times
Going to the movie theater on Christmas day? Sounds a bit strange to me. Then again, in the Netherlands we have a tradition of going to the IKEA and similar stores (which are typically all located on one boulevard in the bigger cities) on Christmas day so I guess it could be worse That is one Sunday the shops are open LOL.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,051,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
do stores close on christmas day in the U.S ? , i dont just mean the likes of wallmart or the big retailers , every single corner family run store ?
Most stores are open part of the day. Supermarkets close early, but a lot of Mom and Pops are open. Non-Christians have no reason to close.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:25 AM

56,037 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Going to the movie theater on Christmas day? Sounds a bit strange to me. Then again, in the Netherlands we have a tradition of going to the IKEA and similar stores (which are typically all located on one boulevard in the bigger cities) on Christmas day so I guess it could be worse That is one Sunday the shops are open LOL.
As was made clear, the movies-on-Christmas story referred to Hindus and Jews. Do you have either of those groups in any significant size in The Netherlands?

Also, here in the US, Christmas falls on December 25, which is not always a Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism