U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:27 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,916,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
I am afraid I am simply going to have to ignore your qualifications (in Post #130) because they mean nothing to me ...................

<snip guffaw>
Then im afraid you will need to obtain the readily available information you requested by taking the initiative of moving your fingers in the direction of a simple google search since you 'really want' to have the evidence .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 09:28 AM

434 posts, read 291,947 times
Google would actually show that Lunar's statements are accurate.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 PM

16,081 posts, read 17,876,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
No, you 'fixed' that so unproven THEORIES of Macro Evolution/Abiogenesis/Materialism/Naturalism as a Worldview coincide nicely with the desired lifestyle choices atheists/humanists/heathenists enjoy thru no ultimate moral accountability .
There are even Christians who accept evolution, you know. Ken Miller is one.

Irreducible Complexity (bacterial flagellum) debunked.flv - YouTube

Old 07-11-2012, 12:15 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,883,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
The PERSONAL Creator of our personal universe and us as persons...has made himself known thru creation, thru his inspired word called the Bible, and thru the historical person of Jesus Christ who claimed to be this Creator.
The TRUE Creator of this universe would by necessity be far too high of a level of reason and intellect to have any connection whatsoever with the garbage-filled error-ridden train wreck that is The Bible. We know precisely the origins of both The Bible and its god and neither display a mind or intelligence any more advanced than the bronze age ignorants who authored them.

As for Jesus - his claims at being the Creator are laughable, irrelevant and hardly unique. There is no legitimate historical evidence for his existence and the idea that he was the son of the Creator of the entire universe is as absurd and as believable as Hercules being the son of Zeus.

REAL Creators of universes don't have need of sons, nor do they need sacrifice themselves to themselves in order create loopholes in absurd systems of "sin debt" that they themselves created.

Sorry, but as far as gods/creators go your childish, bumbling Bible god is woefully incompetent and unqualified.

Last edited by QuixoticHobbit; 07-11-2012 at 12:45 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 03:24 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,466,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
The TRUE Creator of this universe would by necessity be far too high of a level of reason and intellect to have any connection whatsoever with the garbage-filled error-ridden train wreck that is The Bible. We know precisely the origins of both The Bible and its god and neither display a mind or intelligence any more advanced than the bronze age ignorants who authored them.

As for Jesus - his claims at being the Creator are laughable, irrelevant and hardly unique. There is no legitimate historical evidence for his existence and the idea that he was the son of the Creator of the entire universe is as absurd and as believable as Hercules being the son of Zeus.

REAL Creators of universes don't have need of sons, nor do they need sacrifice themselves to themselves in order create loopholes in absurd systems of "sin debt" that they themselves created.

Sorry, but as far as gods/creators go your childish, bumbling Bible god is woefully incompetent and unqualified.
Very well said!!!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:55 AM

783 posts, read 832,715 times
Living in San Antonio, its been a challenge dating, but the "witnessing" nonsense hasnt been too common. Now when I lived in the Eastern NM/West TX area, it was a nightmare. You were judged if you didnt go to church, and the churches owned the liquor licenses to control the number of bars that could open. Horrible place full of zealots and simpletons.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:16 PM

4,880 posts, read 3,971,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
Living in San Antonio, its been a challenge dating, but the "witnessing" nonsense hasnt been too common. Now when I lived in the Eastern NM/West TX area, it was a nightmare. You were judged if you didnt go to church, and the churches owned the liquor licenses to control the number of bars that could open. Horrible place full of zealots and simpletons.
You are correct on all accounts.
I think a big part of the west texas racket is to keep organized entertainment to a minimum so people will have no choice but to look for churches as their primary social circle.
Yes, you are judged harshly if you do not go to church, but also if you go to the "wrong" church.....

So how to this translate to life? Well, west Texas high schools have been referred to as "dropout factories" , teen pregnancy is high, and crime (drugs) are rampant......
All because kids will tell you "there is nothing else to do here"

Many churches do not want competition. They know that given a choice and an education, many people will choose NOT to go to the church. Intimidation, fear and threats of eternal hellfire and damnation only go so far.

I had a terrible time with dating when I lived in the Dallas area.
Oddly enough, when I moved to Arizona, it was never difficult there. I cannot help but wonder what influence the religions of Dallas have on people's dating vs the lack of religion and the acceptance of new age religions (at the time) in Arizona. So I left Texas thinking "Wow I can't get a date to save my life.....what is WRONG with me?" to settling into Arizona and thinking "Wow women here are so friendly and awesome.....I guess the problem was not me in Texas after all"

Needless to say, I have no desire to ever go back to Texas. I visited Dallas last summer and it sucks as bad as ever, I don't see why people like living there, but many of the people I talked to do not realize the personal freedom and choices that they could make in life if they were not too fearful to do so. And for much of that, we can blame religions....

Old 07-14-2012, 09:36 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,466,472 times
As the original poster of this thread, I would like to clarify a few things. I really do like the Dallas area for the most part as I find that the cost of living is reasonable, the winters are milder than a Midwest winter, the warm weather lasts longer making outdoor exercise feasible for 8 months (yes I know most people say 100+ degees is too hot to exercise in...I just drink more fluids) and other positive things. The drawback is the religious thing. As an atheist man, I find it is harder to find atheist women in a Bible Belt state like Texas but not completely impossible. The Christians especially are very forward down here and it makes me feel like going on the offensive most of the time.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:23 PM

668 posts, read 424,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post

So, what is your god like?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:58 PM

4,880 posts, read 3,971,136 times
Texan, I did not find the people to be all that friendly, and the religious thing contributed strongly to my movement into new age realigions, which contributed strongly to my movement to eastern thought and philosophy, which all put together helped me develop my current non-theistic/atheistic belief system.
Did you see this report from a few years back? I'd put Dallas about 3rd , and I have travelled the nation extensively.
Dallas/Fort Worth Area Makes List Of Rudest Cities CBS Dallas / Fort Worth
Yes, I did go to church back when I lived there (well not towards the end) And yes I did find many hateful, rude people in churches, and that is a big part of why I quit going.

QuixoticHobbit, I will humor you because you know I more or less agree with the overall gist of what you are saying, but remember, the invisible and the unreal look very much alike, and nothing unreal exists. But religion in Texas can be a problem to anyone who decides not to conform......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism