U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:21 PM

503 posts, read 390,594 times

Advertisements

Christians should be more tolerant like atheists.
The kindness, lovingness and tolerance displayed in this thread should be an example for all Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 05:58 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,986,809 times
Dude, I feel for you. Moving out of Texas ranks way up there with the happiest moments of my life....Like Getting married, having a sons, things that I cannot think of without a smile.

You are in the worst of the worst too. Dallas is home to some of the worst examples of religion that man has ever invented. Not on the map like Jim Jones and David Koresh, but all consuming and all negative nonetheless.
Dallas is a very "phony" place. Full of people who struck out elsewhere in the nation, came there for promise of work and money. Crime is atrocious. Nothing really to do but shop , eat out and go to church. Seems like when the money runs out for the first two(OR If there is any left over) The third one steps in. What would you expect from such shallow people? And uneducated too, for the most part. Easier to lead when they don;t have the intellectual faculties to resist.
I am so sorry that you have to live there. I'd offer to pray for you but since I have endorsed deistic aetheism I really can't. Wouldn't do any good anyways. Just make the best of it. buy yourself a Glock 36, get a CWP (if you have not already) and check out the good folks at Metroplex Aetheists (metroplexaetheist.org)
They have helped many preserve the sanity that religion has taken away.....

Good Luck.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:49 PM

16,300 posts, read 25,002,429 times
I'm a feral atheist, born that way (we all were) but fortunate not to be born to practitioners of bronze age ignorance. Did attend a parochial school (sent for the academics only) and heard all the fairy tales there, and even then view what they were telling us as "really, do I look stupid".

Lived all my life in the bible belt, and I guess I was what I heard someone else recently refer to as 'spiritually apathetic', paid it very little mind. I've seen the loons with their bibles on street corners screaming their hate, but view them as nutty as those that say they have been repeatedly abducted by extraterrestrial aliens, plus they are small in number. I guess one real turning point was George Bush saying that "we" invaded Iraq because god told him to. The boy is most likely lying like a rug (he has told some other real whoppers) or the old boy is one of the many psychopaths for god.

Then I found the these areas on city-data, and now I'm scared. There are large numbers of loons out there that believe all sorts of absurdities and wear their ignorance like their finest threads. The levels of hatred that is their doctrine, and one they are proud of should be reserved for psychopaths.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:03 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,257,014 times
Texas2008,

I so identify with you! My family is originally from the Dallas area, and my experience was that it was highly religious. Of course, so is my family, so I might be biased. I grew up on the theology taught in Dallas Theological Seminary, my Great-Uncle taught at Dallas Bible College, and that whole side of the family is extremely religious. I personally grew up in North Alabama, and it was much the same. I knew one Catholic family, and was taught that they were probably going to Hell. Of course, the Church of Christ thought us Baptists were hell bound, as the women wore pants and wore makeup and the men were allowed to have beards (God hates facial hair, you know!).

At the time I didn't think anything of it, because I was a part of it. After living the NE (predominantly Catholic and Jewish), leaving the faith, and moving back to TN, I had a real eyeopener about how bad it really was! It is often incredibly uncomfortable to live in these hyper religious environments, especially in a rural or small town setting. At this point in my life, I don't think I will ever live south of the Mason Dixon line again. I might be able to make an exception for somewhere like Austin, but even that is a little scary. I'll stay up here with the snow, the Lutherans, and the Catholics, thank you very much!

NoCapo

Old 01-14-2012, 07:30 PM

9,899 posts, read 6,767,328 times
I was raised Catholic and played basketball for the church team.

We never talked religion or prayed during practice or during games.

Sometimes we played against Protestant churches and quite often their players would hold hands in a circle and pray before the game, at half time, and at the end.

As a kid I used to go with my parents to dances and festive occasions in the church basement. There was music and booze. The priest would show up and also have a drink.

In my parochial high school there were non-Catholic kids who were there for academics and we never treated them differently.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,471,076 times
It's certainly killing my dating life. For some reason I tend to attract Christian women and of course it just doesn't work. I'm pretty much set on leaving by the end of the year. It is very hard to find women in this area who are not religious. I'm not getting any younger and it's getting harder to meet women anyway at my age (mid forties).

I have also found that religious women in general seem to be so conflicted over sex. I guess it comes with the territory but it is never a good mix when you try to date someone that has too many issues and hangups in that area. Relationships are hard enough. Would anybody recommend Boston, MA as a pretty decent place? Once again a very Catholic town like St. Louis and coincidentally also a big baseball town.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:45 AM

9,053 posts, read 8,463,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
It's certainly killing my dating life. For some reason I tend to attract Christian women and of course it just doesn't work. I'm pretty much set on leaving by the end of the year. It is very hard to find women in this area who are not religious. I'm not getting any younger and it's getting harder to meet women anyway at my age (mid forties).

I have also found that religious women in general seem to be so conflicted over sex. I guess it comes with the territory but it is never a good mix when you try to date someone that has too many issues and hangups in that area. Relationships are hard enough. Would anybody recommend Boston, MA as a pretty decent place? Once again a very Catholic town like St. Louis and coincidentally also a big baseball town.
Boston is a great place. I would not really call it a Catholic town at all. More of a big city with a bit of Catholic history.

In your day to day life, religion will not effect you at all in Boston.

The weather, when compared to TX, may kill you though.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:48 AM

16,300 posts, read 25,002,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

As a kid I used to go with my parents to dances and festive occasions in the church basement. There was music and booze. The priest would show up and also have a drink.
We know that wasn't a baptist church, they even see dancing as a sin.

"Why do Baptists object so strongly to pre-marital sex? They're afraid it might lead to drinking and dancing."

"A Fundamentalist Baptist Minister in Alabama, sorely tempted, finally propositioned the Choir director one night after practice, when they were alone in the Church. "Where should we do it, Reverend?" she enthusiastically replied. "Right here on the floor!" he panted. "It'd be too cold." she whispered. "How about standing up?" "Good Lord, girl! Have you taken leave of you senses?" he shouted. "If anyone came in, they'd think we were dancing!"

Old 01-17-2012, 01:06 PM

13 posts, read 11,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I moved to Texas from St.Louis in May of 2008 and have found myself growing more and more intolerant of religion and religious people the longer I stay in this state. Living in a predominately Catholic city like St.Louis seemed much easier because nobody really spoke about religion much. In Texas it's all over and people seem pretty bold about the whole Jesus thing and wanting to drag you to church in some cases or tell you how you need to convert to Christianity to be saved. Frankly it just old some days and then you have a governor praying for rain, a state board of education that wants ID taught in schools and it just goes on and on..anybody else feel the same way about where they live being an atheist?

Texas Schools Face the Evolution Debate - On Education (usnews.com)
I had to laugh at this because I live in the Bible Belt and went through changes myself. We have a governor who believes in the Bible and not Global Warming. This State was even joked about on Jon Stewart. Oklahoma where religion is well and good, your minister maybe sexually harassing your daughter, everyone is related to everyone else, the Christians think it is fun to go coon hunting, Obama is said to be getting ready to outlaw guns if he gets his second term, and where he is still not an American or a Christian.

I am glad that I don't have kids in school.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 PM

3,694 posts, read 8,360,541 times
Plano isn't the bible belt...it's the buckle. I had friends that hid the alcohol before their parents friends from church came over. They probably went home afterwards and had a glass of wine, then hid the empty bottle at the bottom of the trash can. I'm glad to be so far away from the pious attitude there.

OTOH my best friends in TX are very religious, but they believe in living the values, not trying to force us to go to church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism