U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:52 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,993,806 times

Advertisements

Beer and wine are sold in grocery stores here (I know that varies from state to state).

I've seen a guy stop at the register upon entering the store, and get a couple of grocery bags (paper not plastic) and a cart, then head for the beer section, then quickly put beer in the bag and fold the top over so no one could see he had beer in his grocery cart.

He looked very uncomfortable when the checker had to take the beer out of the bag to pass it over the scanner.

There are three truths in life:
  • Jewish people do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
  • Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
  • Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,683,917 times
I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you have to put up with this in 2012. I've been to Mississippi, Florida, and Louisiana and I'm glad I'm a northerner lol. I hope you can migrate from that primitive culture some day because there are normal societies out there.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:05 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,373,337 times
I lived in Florida and I'm glad to be out of there, the religious talk got in the way a lot or I had to stifle myself just to keep the peace..the South is still way behind as far as religious freedom...

Old 01-18-2012, 10:07 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,387,178 times
Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Catholicism is often tradition and culture. Just imagine a drunk Irish Catholic that is your drinking buddy. He has no interest in converting you to Christianity. Ted Kennedy was as liberal as they come despite being Catholic.

OTOH, Evangelicals have this need to convert people.
Say; wasn't Teddy a bit'o a "lush"? Just curious... (). Prob'ly contributed to his demise, since the greater truth of biological chemistry can't be fricked with too hard or long before it rebels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Nobody ever said grace at restaurants in Texas (that I can recall) which is a common every-day occurrence here in Missouri. 20yrsinBranson
So, IYO, what will happen with me, socio-culturally, when I visit a business in Texas later this year and will have to go to dinner with the owner, but can't or won't go along with grace? He's in Conroe, TX, where-ever that is, and this guy's DEEPLY DUG IN to rant'n'rave Christianity, but he does make a mean Remington Rolling Block replica rifle. Perfect is a good descriptor here!

For me, I've now officially stopped the polite concept of just bowing my head and appearing to say something, plus finishing with an acoustically perceptible "Amen". It' too hypocritical for me, and it also offends my brain to the level that I start to go bleary-eyed, and might even vomit up the appetizers!

I've also been asked to actually say grace. OMG, huh? I decline, and used to say I was too shy, but now, in my neck of the woods, and depending on company, I can and do say: "Sorry, I can't go along with that old pagan belief!" or "It would interfere with my consumption and later pleasant digestion of this great looking meal!". Then I smile and stare any of them down, unblinking, until they avert their eyes!

Prob'ly wouldn't work in Texas though, huh? They might even go and "git the hangin' rope, guys!"

So, will they likely then ex-communicate me, or signal the server to spit/pee on my entree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
Christians should be more tolerant like atheists.
The kindness, lovingness and tolerance displayed in this thread should be an example for all Christians.
Very Phunny! I'm serious! Glad you have the necessary SoH required here! Now, if/when you read more posts here, you'll see that the theists are notable for going combat-hostile on our ideas, refusing to even read suggested links, grunting that "You'll be sorry!", and so on.

The #-Ds of fundyism? Deflect, Deny and Denigrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I was raised Catholic and played basketball for the church team.

We never talked religion or prayed during practice or during games.

Sometimes we played against Protestant churches and quite often their players would hold hands in a circle and pray before the game, at half time, and at the end.
I'm curious in such a "sitch" as that: both sides fervently pray for a winning game (hidden super-natural strength? A spectacularly supra-molecular physics ball throw, magically caught by an amazingly suspended quarterback who magically finds himself downfield without any opposition? Or, blinding lights in the eyes of the opposing teams just when it does the most damage?)

Who gets them spiritual bennies from God? Those who tithed more the previous week? Or, is the game (Oh yeah; I'd forgotten this option..), of course, pre-determined about 5k 10k yrs ago? Just like my personal fate as a God-designed critical thinker atheist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
It's certainly killing my dating life. For some reason I tend to attract Christian women and of course it just doesn't work. I'm pretty much set on leaving by the end of the year. It is very hard to find women in this area who are not religious. I'm not getting any younger and it's getting harder to meet women anyway at my age (mid forties).

I have also found that religious women in general seem to be so conflicted over sex. I guess it comes with the territory but it is never a good mix when you try to date someone that has too many issues and hangups in that area. Relationships are hard enough. Would anybody recommend Boston, MA as a pretty decent place? Once again a very Catholic town like St. Louis and coincidentally also a big baseball town.
Try this next time you go to a dance or bar (heaven forbid THAT approach though...): buy those little red sticky Debil's Horns you can hide, almost undetectable, in your hair, one over each ear. As well as a glowing red talisman around your neck on a pure gold (you can day that at least...) that blinks occasionally soz no attentive femme can ignore it. It might show a devil ravaging a young lady, who would have a combined look of fear and lust upon her visage! I mean, after all, who would know how to "satisfy" like the devil would!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
"Why do Baptists object so strongly to pre-marital sex? They're afraid it might lead to drinking and dancing."

"A Fundamentalist Baptist Minister in Alabama, sorely tempted, finally propositioned the Choir director one night after practice, when they were alone in the Church. "Where should we do it, Reverend?" she enthusiastically replied. "Right here on the floor!" he panted. "It'd be too cold." she whispered.

"How about standing up?" "Good Lord, girl! Have you taken leave of you senses?" he shouted. "If anyone came in, they'd think we were dancing!"
You have hit the Big Funny Bone reward today, Asheville! I really needed the psychological boost of several great laughs, so now I can ignore the pain, not take my usual meds, and go out and shovel this damned snow!

Thanks! Truly! This is all too good! LOL!!! (I truly would'v luv'd to grant you about 5 rep points for these!, but NO! Not that you need 'em... say; can we cash them in for toasters, cameras or a night in Bali? )

Last edited by rifleman; 01-18-2012 at 10:21 AM..

Old 01-18-2012, 10:26 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,387,178 times
Smile Horny!

Like this!

Image Detail for - http://www.vampirecostumesrus.com/pimages/large/devil-horns-kit.jpg

Of course, you might well then attract this sort...

Image Detail for - http://feeds2.yourstorewizards.com/1150/images/250x1000/she-devil-costume-.jpg

One could only hope though, huh? This should all be "old hat" for we Ebile Aytheists! I know it has been just like that for me, whilst my old Christian friends have languished in anonymity and middle-aged lack-o-lust.

Image Detail for - http://static2.bigstockphoto.com/thumbs/5/1/4/large2/4157202.jpg

Sigh.....

Old 01-18-2012, 01:48 PM

13 posts, read 11,021 times
I made friends with a Christian woman here, and we had our go arounds in the beginning, but now she has accepted me for who I am. She is really a lovely person and nice to be with now.

What makes it harder is I lived in Berkeley in the 70s.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:52 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,008,626 times
Quote:
I moved to Texas from St.Louis in May of 2008 and have found myself growing more and more intolerant of religion and religious people the longer I stay in this state. Living in a predominately Catholic city like St.Louis seemed much easier because nobody really spoke about religion much. In Texas it's all over and people seem pretty bold about the whole Jesus thing and wanting to drag you to church in some cases or tell you how you need to convert to Christianity to be saved. Frankly it just old some days and then you have a governor praying for rain, a state board of education that wants ID taught in schools and it just goes on and on..anybody else feel the same way about where they live being an atheist?

Texas Schools Face the Evolution Debate - On Education (usnews.com)

Sorry to hear it's not your cup of tea but at that same time I smiled because you have paid my home state a huge compliment.
Texas is also the state that allows you the most right to self-defense. Shoot and take names later, almost.

Personally, just be blunt and tell the folks to mind their own business.
There's just as many folks in Texas that live it instead of preaching it. I know a ton of them.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:13 PM

9,036 posts, read 8,451,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aakjhgf View Post
And what exactly is wrong with religion? I'm not saying athiests are open about there belief (though they usualy are, at least here in northern maryland) If you are open about your belief than we can be open about ours. A question to you, how did we get here, and if you say big bang theory, then how did that start? Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. If you deny God in Jesus name on earth he will deny you when you are judged.
Bah. This is the A&A section. Pretty much everybody here denies the very existence of god, including the christian god.

Please proselytize elsewhere.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 AM

6,491 posts, read 5,250,081 times
Quote:
I moved to Texas from St.Louis in May of 2008 and have found myself growing more and more intolerant of religion and religious people the longer I stay in this state. Living in a predominately Catholic city like St.Louis seemed much easier because nobody really spoke about religion much. In Texas it's all over and people seem pretty bold about the whole Jesus thing and wanting to drag you to church in some cases or tell you how you need to convert to Christianity to be saved. Frankly it just old some days and then you have a governor praying for rain, a state board of education that wants ID taught in schools and it just goes on and on..anybody else feel the same way about where they live being an atheist?

Texas Schools Face the Evolution Debate - On Education (usnews.com)
I can relate inasmuch that I'm a Texan atheist (that almost sounds like an oxymoron, doesn't it?), but I was born and raised here so I'm kinda used to it. I'm not bothered by the religious for this reason and because I used to be religious myself. But yeah, safe to say Christianity is overly represented in the South. Even the most UNreligious people you'll ever find here talk about 'God' as if he's a visible, tangible human being.

But ya kinda asked for it. You don't move TO Texas, ever

Old 01-19-2012, 10:05 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,168,072 times
I grew up and still live in North Dallas, just south of Collin County. I've never encountered any prejudices about my atheism, and I don't really keep it a secret.

Point is: get the hell out of Collin County!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism