U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:16 PM

4,891 posts, read 3,982,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Stupid people make me sad, especially when the stupidity is willful and deliberate, and it dumb's down society as a whole.
Then don't watch those 30 second ads on TV right now about upcoming elections......
Talk about dumbing down society
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 06:02 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,987,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I never hated religion so much as to when I moved to Texas
I've seen the title of this thread a number of times, but today I saw it in a more simplistic perspective.

What do we hate..... we hate what we fear
What do we fear..... we fear what is a threat to ourselves, our future, our freedoms, the stuff that can harm us.

From the atheist POV, religion is certainly that threat.
From the theist POV, reason, facts and questions are that threat.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:06 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,987,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Then don't watch those 30 second ads on TV right now about upcoming elections......
Talk about dumbing down society
I don't, and I'm grateful the SC primary is over, as we are in the SC TV market area.

But your smack in the middle of it now ain't ya

Old 01-28-2012, 06:20 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,178,707 times
Quote:
I've seen the title of this thread a number of times, but today I saw it in a more simplistic perspective.

What do we hate..... we hate what we fear
What do we fear..... we fear what is a threat to ourselves, our future, our freedoms, the stuff that can harm us.

From the atheist POV, religion is certainly that threat.
From the theist POV, reason, facts and questions are that threat.

You got that half right.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:37 AM

4,891 posts, read 3,982,300 times
Quote:
I don't, and I'm grateful the SC primary is over, as we are in the SC TV market area.

But your smack in the middle of it now ain't ya
Yes I am, and not paying much attention. Especially not fond of the negative ads the ones that say
"So and So is a loser so don't vote for him.....this ad paid for by an organization not affiliated with or approved by any candidate"
I have gotten really quick with the change button on the radio when those start.

You are right though People will fear what they don't understand. Part of our evolved flight or flight response.
Explains too why so many people fear "God" perhaps......

Old 01-28-2012, 08:47 AM

242 posts, read 197,352 times
It's really something else here in the Dallas area. I've been here most of my life and I guess I've largely gotten used to it, but sometimes people can REALLY be obnoxious (and what's sad is that most of them don't even have a CLUE they're being offensive when they do it).

I came home after being out of town for a weekend last year to find my front door had been kicked in and by apartment robbed (as well as quite thoroughly ransacked). I called 911, and after the operator dispatched an officer to my location ...she told me that I should really spend some time praying about what happened to me.

I found it offensive as well as utterly inappropriate even though I have no doubt the sentiment was delivered with the best of intentions. I always have to wonder how most Christians would react to a 911 operator suggesting they appeal to the goddess Lakshmi to help them regain their wealth right after being robbed? Given how in love our governor is with privatizing things, the notion that it could really happen is really kind of funny when you think about it....

Old 01-28-2012, 10:19 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,371,468 times
greaemonkey, that's definitly offensive to tell someone who's been traumatized, to pray about it. The assumption that that would help you is the worst part...I probably would have started yelling at the operator or slammed the phone down..how inconsiderate!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:54 AM

242 posts, read 197,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
greaemonkey, that's definitly offensive to tell someone who's been traumatized, to pray about it. The assumption that that would help you is the worst part...I probably would have started yelling at the operator or slammed the phone down..how inconsiderate!
My nephew is a cop (same state, different county) and he thought I should have reported it for that very reason; some religious people could even find that sort of suggestion inappropriate under those circumstances. I blew it off anyway; I had more pressing things to worry about at the time for the most part and the incident was a gift that kept on giving (insurance problems, my bank botching up stop payment on my checking account because the box of blank checks was gone, finding a new place, etc).

Like I said, you sort of get used to a certain level of "obnoxious" when you live in the "bible belt" but it WAS pretty bad. Trying to take things in the spirit it was given helps quite a bit (doesn't make it right, but it sure helps cool the temper).

Old 01-28-2012, 11:07 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,371,468 times
I lived in North Florida so I have an idea how things are there but still, ..guess you gotta consider the source but they sure test a person!!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:49 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,469,672 times
Some examples of people since I moved to Texas.

1.My pdoc asked about my faith while going through depression. Thought maybe it was a good idea to have faith. I see NO reason why YOUR doctor should even bring up spiritual faith based ideas to you as their patient.

2.Needed a car repair tech who travels to stalled motorists to look at my car while stalled on a parking lot. Convo somehow go onto religion and he thought that maybe I needed more faith. This after mentioning I was atheist. Said he met an atheist one time and they seemed pretty nice. My thought after hearing this..... Get out much? (Sarcasm)

3.Several examples of people who have or are in the 12 step program for alcoholism. All said it was impossible to get sober without God. After explaining that I personally knew someone who did it through willpower alone,dismissed it as impossible.

4.My personal banker at a bank upon finding out I was atheist, said it might be a good idea to pray. In context, she did turn out to be somewhat of a friend when I first moved to the Dallas area giving me some advice on the area, but still my banker.

Maybe atheists just need to probe people they meet that are of some faith based belief system and just out of the blue say "Ever think of giving that faith based belief system up? You wouldn't believe how much better it is to meet life on real terms rather than delusions that act as security blankets."

Then watch the reaction....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism