U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:43 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,760,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
My time in Colorado Springs turned me into a militant Atheist.
LOL. Isn't that where James Dobson and 'Focus on the Family' is located? I really dislike that dude's theology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 10:19 PM

16,094 posts, read 17,892,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I admit, Texas is one of those states in America that it just bugs me to think about. I'm sure there are some intelligent people in Texas and some progressive believers also, but they just never seem to get any air time and therefore a certain image of hubris and ignorance sticks in my mind whenever I think of the place. I feel similarly about several other states, Alabama and Mississippi come to mind. You know, I thought there were a good number of close-minded evangelicals in Missouri where you came from - but perhaps there are just more of them in Texas.

FOX news Atheist billboard - YouTube

110622 Atheist on Fox - YouTube

Atheists Rally Behind New Movie Thriller (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/110708-atheists-rally-behind-new-movie-thriller - broken link)

Opposition Simmering on Eve of Prayer Rally (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/110805-opposition-simmering-on-eve-of-prayer-rally - broken link)

Coverage in Australia of the Freethought Convention in Houston

Christopher Hitchens "Fighting Faith" 2011 Interview - YouTube

Lots more in the print media. Staise Gonzalez is pretty prominent in the media in Houston.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,048,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
LOL. Isn't that where James Dobson and 'Focus on the Family' is located? I really dislike that dude's theology.
Yep & Ted Haggard too. The city is full of evangelical mega churches.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:24 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,175,485 times
We all choose how to interpret things. If you choose to look for reasons to be angry, you will find them. If you choose to look for acts of kindess, you will find that too, regardless of your religions beliefs or your lack of belief.

Yeah some regions have more of one type of person than another, but regardless of that, you choose what you focus on.

Where I live (the city) there is less "do you have faith" and a lot more indifference and rudeness.

You can find find something to complain about wherever you live, or you can find positives too.

Get over it!

Recently a friend was complaining about how he had a flat tire, no jack and was stuck on the side of the road with a thousand cars driving by, no one gave him a sideways glance. At least he didn't have anyone proselytizing, right?

Old 02-26-2012, 04:18 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,974,291 times
when I lived there in the late 70s they started this thing called "Dial an Atheist" Where you could call for free and get a recorde message about what atheism is and what it is not. The only reason they got noticed was thanks to a few of the local churches making a big issue of it to the point that it got on the noon news.
They reported over 100 calls the first day !
WOW The metro area had just over a million a half people at that time and they got 100 calls !

It is also the location of Tilton's Word of Faith, who hada prayer line that cgot thousands of calls (And dollars) a day, also megachurches when the concept was new, and of course Rev Criswell, the affirmed racist leader of the largest Chruch in Texas at the time, First Baptist. Also SMU (Methodist affiliated), Dallas Baptist university, Dallas Bible College , University of Dallas (Private Catholic) and nearby TCU (Disciples of Christ) and Ft Worthless also had Texas Wesleyan college (may be closed now)
Not to mention the dozens and dozens of private parochial high schools.
So, yeah it may be easier to find other non-theists because there are at least 100 of them around but look where the formal institutions are....

Last edited by LargeKingCat; 02-26-2012 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: spelled

Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,976,804 times
I used to cringe and laugh (an unusual combination) watching Tilton's crocodile tears and ham acting on his TV show. What a hilarious and appalling old charlatan he was. He really packed 'em in.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:57 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,974,291 times
Default robert tilton

Robert Tilton in the 80s

The Farting Preacher - YouTube

RObert Tilton today (in Oklahoma)

The Smell Of A Tilton - 2 - All Wound Up [DedMunkE].flv - YouTube

AMAZING What is funny when you have a 9 year old son running around the house

Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times
This source shows half the population of Texas attend church, But there are worse
Mississippians Go to Church the Most; Vermonters, Least

Old 03-08-2012, 03:03 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,719,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I moved to Texas from St.Louis in May of 2008 and have found myself growing more and more intolerant of religion and religious people the longer I stay in this state. Living in a predominately Catholic city like St.Louis seemed much easier because nobody really spoke about religion much. In Texas it's all over and people seem pretty bold about the whole Jesus thing and wanting to drag you to church in some cases or tell you how you need to convert to Christianity to be saved. Frankly it just old some days and then you have a governor praying for rain, a state board of education that wants ID taught in schools and it just goes on and on..anybody else feel the same way about where they live being an atheist?

Texas Schools Face the Evolution Debate - On Education (usnews.com)
Here in South Texas I find that most evangelicals are decent, loving (albeit gullible) people. I mean - it CAN be very annoying to hear all the "end time" BS rhetoric and such things and it's a bit sad to see folks caught up living in fantasies but really, no big deal. In fact it can be FUN to engage a fundie who is trying to convert you and ask them the hard questions about their beliefs and possibly make them think.

I'm surprised you seem to not care about the massive problems perpetrated by catholicism worldwide just because they don't try to convert you (?). The church's anti condom stance (for instance) has resulted in tremendous suffering - especially in poorer countries.

As Americans we are free to believe whatever we wish and the way I've seen so many treat those with opposing beliefs very very well is a testament to our societal progress. So what if the occasional annoying zealot gets in your face? It's the American way. Even in an all atheist society there would still be annoying people hassling you about something.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:26 PM

254 posts, read 161,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
This source shows half the population of Texas attend church, But there are worse
Mississippians Go to Church the Most; Vermonters, Least
51% of Texans attend church each week
51% of Texans also don't believe humans evolved from earlier species

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism