Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:39 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times

Advertisements

Too much Flintstones, I guess. Humans weren't around 65 million years ago, of course. Yabba-dabba-doo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:22 AM

34 posts, read 33,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I moved to Texas from St.Louis in May of 2008 and have found myself growing more and more intolerant of religion and religious people the longer I stay in this state. Living in a predominately Catholic city like St.Louis seemed much easier because nobody really spoke about religion much. In Texas it's all over and people seem pretty bold about the whole Jesus thing and wanting to drag you to church in some cases or tell you how you need to convert to Christianity to be saved. Frankly it just old some days and then you have a governor praying for rain, a state board of education that wants ID taught in schools and it just goes on and on..anybody else feel the same way about where they live being an atheist?

Texas Schools Face the Evolution Debate - On Education (usnews.com)
Move to Tennessee, it's got to be even worse! I even had a medical technician (X-Ray) tell me if I didn't believe in the healing touch of Jesus Christ, "I didn't understand how it worked". I told her I knew exactly how it worked and I didn't want any part of it!
Tennessee, dumbing down America starting from Nashville Tennessee! The institutions of Higher learning in Tennessee have got to be terribly upset with the latest laws being considered and passed in this once beautiful state! Intelligent Design (Creationism) is now being introduced into the public schools. Anti gay is becoming more and more prevalent.

Last edited by ktorch; 03-26-2012 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Left out a thought

Old 03-26-2012, 10:54 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
I moved to Texas from St.Louis in May of 2008 and have found myself growing more and more intolerant of religion and religious people the longer I stay in this state. Living in a predominately Catholic city like St.Louis seemed much easier because nobody really spoke about religion much. In Texas it's all over and people seem pretty bold about the whole Jesus thing and wanting to drag you to church in some cases or tell you how you need to convert to Christianity to be saved. Frankly it just old some days and then you have a governor praying for rain, a state board of education that wants ID taught in schools and it just goes on and on..anybody else feel the same way about where they live being an atheist?

Correction: it's probably like that in the area of Texas that you live in and even the backwards government does speak for all Texans.

What kind of sense does it make to portray a state of 270,000 square miles and 25 million+ people as one monolithic entity because of your limited perception of reality?

Old 03-26-2012, 02:43 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I was raised Catholic and played basketball for the church team.

We never talked religion or prayed during practice or during games.

Sometimes we played against Protestant churches and quite often their players would hold hands in a circle and pray before the game, at half time, and at the end.

As a kid I used to go with my parents to dances and festive occasions in the church basement. There was music and booze. The priest would show up and also have a drink.

In my parochial high school there were non-Catholic kids who were there for academics and we never treated them differently.
hate to stereotype but catholics tend to view the world in shades of grey where as protestants often have a black and white view of things so if your not morally upstanding on every score , your a wrong un , americans ( WASP,s ) who come to ireland are often shocked at the bar ( pub ) culture here as if was as big a deal as gun violence

Old 03-27-2012, 12:43 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
So what is the Irish pub culture like? I'm not sure what point you were trying to make.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:02 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
hate to stereotype but catholics tend to view the world in shades of grey where as protestants often have a black and white view of things so if your not morally upstanding on every score , your a wrong un , americans ( WASP,s ) who come to ireland are often shocked at the bar ( pub ) culture here as if was as big a deal as gun violence
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
So what is the Irish pub culture like? I'm not sure what point you were trying to make.
I think because in the US (as far as many Protestants go) there is an anti-alcohol culture and it's blended in with the religion. Some traditional Protestants are shocked to see how much Catholics drink. And that drinking is not only approved of, but PUSHED by the church. LOL, a friend of mine--Irish Catholic girl, one of eight kids, used to go to an Irish pub with her siblings, her father and her priest. Meanwhile, she was dating a Presbyterian whose church was across the street from hers. She said they had their festivals on the same day, and the boyfriend's brother made some remark about how you would know which church was which because the Catholics had the big-ass Budweiser truck prominently parked where there was easy access.

There are exceptions to the Protestant thing. We Episcopalians drink, too!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:34 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think because in the US (as far as many Protestants go) there is an anti-alcohol culture and it's blended in with the religion.
That's just the Baptists, who technically aren't protestants. The mainline denominations may or may not serve wine during communion, it's up to each individual churches' discretion, but you can definitely get ripped at a Lutheran wedding or a Methodist funeral.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think because in the US (as far as many Protestants go) there is an anti-alcohol culture and it's blended in with the religion. Some traditional Protestants are shocked to see how much Catholics drink. And that drinking is not only approved of, but PUSHED by the church. LOL, a friend of mine--Irish Catholic girl, one of eight kids, used to go to an Irish pub with her siblings, her father and her priest. Meanwhile, she was dating a Presbyterian whose church was across the street from hers. She said they had their festivals on the same day, and the boyfriend's brother made some remark about how you would know which church was which because the Catholics had the big-ass Budweiser truck prominently parked where there was easy access.

There are exceptions to the Protestant thing. We Episcopalians drink, too!
episcopalians ( anglicans over here ) are a lot less puritanical and orthodox than presbyterians , ive always got on well with anglicans , ive never got on well with presbyterians , humourless and insufferabley rigid bunch

Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Quote:

Yes, I have the same issue in my state. It's unreal at times, like I'm in some kind of warped movie. Children of the Corn comes to mind.
"God bless you" becomes feelers for your devotion to God, like their just checking to make sure it's in you, make sure you're one of them.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:01 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
episcopalians ( anglicans over here ) are a lot less puritanical and orthodox than presbyterians , ive always got on well with anglicans , ive never got on well with presbyterians , humourless and insufferabley rigid bunch
Good to know!

Just FYI, we use the term "Anglican" interchangeably with "Episcopalians" here in the US. The US Episcopal Church came out of the Church of England, but after the Revolution they wanted to call it something else for obvious reasons. Now that everyone's buddy-buddy again, we refer to all of us worldwide as The Anglican Communion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism