U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 03:03 PM

56,218 posts, read 54,695,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
That's just the Baptists, who technically aren't protestants. The mainline denominations may or may not serve wine during communion, it's up to each individual churches' discretion, but you can definitely get ripped at a Lutheran wedding or a Methodist funeral.
I grew up in the Reformed Church (came from the Dutch, similar to Presybterians). They used grape juice during communion. I was surprised to find out that the church I grew up in did once use wine, but back in the 1950s a congregant was an alcoholic and trying to quit drinking, so the whole church switched to grape juice for his sake. Most of the people I knew, though, were pretty much anti-alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:08 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,650,587 times
Grew up in St. Louis. Never ever got a that in your face religious feel. But Missouri is a weird state. St. Louis is hardly representative fo greater Missouri. Branson is such a stone's throw from being anything like St. Louis. Outside of St. Louis and yes I'm sure the bible beating holy rollers are everywhere. One thing I find hypocritical is for such a religious and jeses worshipping state there sure as hell have been a lot of XXX stores popping up all over the interstate in every small country town. Missouri is a dump. I'm glad I got out of the midwest. It was such a wonderful place to grow up but when you are a kid you don't realize all of that stuff. Rural Missouri and rural midwest makes East St. Louis look like the Ritz Carlton. I've never met so many dumb, backwards, and just trash as out in the boonies and backwoods of the midwest. Even in a small town like Columbia you've got such trash and garbage everywhere. People that have never seen the world let alone been outside of their little bubble of a midwestern life. I could never most back out of the west EVER! Many wonderful things about the midwest but even Wisconsin, Minnesota are so different than Missouri, Iowa, TN, Nebraska, AR, etc.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:15 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,725,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
. I've never met so many dumb, backwards, and just trash as out in the boonies and backwoods of the midwest.
People aren't "trash".

Old 04-13-2012, 12:40 PM

930 posts, read 1,286,625 times
I was born and raised in Plano (raised Catholic.) I remember when I was younger, there were people (presumably Baptists) protesting on front the church I was forced to attend saying that basically Catholics were going to hell. That being said, I'm a nonbeliever now and when I am through with college, Texas will be behind me. My family is here, but I can't stand the brutally hot weather with no winter or the backwards attitudes of many of the people here.

I've had a few other experiences with people especially when I worked in retail. I dealt with tons of customers a day, so these guys were really rare but it probably wouldn't happen at all in the Northeast or the West Coast. The most stunning one was when this old lady told me I was going to hell for working on a Sunday. The second most stunning was when a customer said "God bless you!" after I was finished with his order, I replied simply "Have a good day, sir!" and was reported to the manager for not saying "God bless you too."

Old 04-13-2012, 12:55 PM

5,631 posts, read 4,230,313 times
I lived in Texas and Tennessee plus a half dozen other states and I got news for you. Neither have a monopoly on religious nuts.. they are every where, in every corner and in every state. I noticed no difference from Tennessee to Washington State, From Texas to Ohio.. from Florida to California.. its all the same..

Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 PM

7,149 posts, read 7,985,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
I was born and raised in Plano (raised Catholic.) I remember when I was younger, there were people (presumably Baptists) protesting on front the church I was forced to attend saying that basically Catholics were going to hell. That being said, I'm a nonbeliever now and when I am through with college, Texas will be behind me. My family is here, but I can't stand the brutally hot weather with no winter or the backwards attitudes of many of the people here.

I've had a few other experiences with people especially when I worked in retail. I dealt with tons of customers a day, so these guys were really rare but it probably wouldn't happen at all in the Northeast or the West Coast. The most stunning one was when this old lady told me I was going to hell for working on a Sunday. The second most stunning was when a customer said "God bless you!" after I was finished with his order, I replied simply "Have a good day, sir!" and was reported to the manager for not saying "God bless you too."
and did they call the religous police ?

texas could be mistaken for tehran

Old 04-19-2012, 10:54 AM

467 posts, read 1,041,423 times
Funny.

I never disliked religion as much as I do now until I moved to western NC.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:47 AM

13,334 posts, read 25,596,053 times
[quote=ReppingDFW;23846531]
I've had a few other experiences with people especially when I worked in retail. The most stunning one was when this old lady told me I was going to hell for working on a Sunday.

Wasn't she shopping on a Sunday?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:49 PM

649 posts, read 555,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Wasn't she shopping on a Sunday?
You know Bright....it's a good thing this is in the atheism section.....

Otherwise, you could be brought up on charges for using logic....

Just saying...

Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 PM

4,891 posts, read 3,981,409 times
when I lived in Texas, you could NOT Shop on SUNDAY !!!!
In Texas, Retail `Blue Laws` Headed For Last Round-up - Chicago Tribune

I remember when the Blue Laws were repealed, I was one of the most vocal people against them, I wrote countless letters to state representatives, the governor, senators etc for years, as well as speaking out against them with letters to the newspapers and by pointing out to everyone I knew how absolutely archaic the laws were.
The greatest enemy to this freedom was the religious right. And not just the religious right, but the catholics and many mainline protestant churches wpoke out in favor of blue laws.
Think about it...you can't shop, buy booze, or do much of anything on Suandays so what would you do? Go to Church !!!
Many Christians were devestated when we finally got the laws passed to repeal these blue laws.
The rest of us went out and celebrated, because what we saw was a weakening of Christianity and the triumph of freedom over religion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism