U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 12:04 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,468,681 times

Advertisements

I moved to Texas from St.Louis in May of 2008 and have found myself growing more and more intolerant of religion and religious people the longer I stay in this state. Living in a predominately Catholic city like St.Louis seemed much easier because nobody really spoke about religion much. In Texas it's all over and people seem pretty bold about the whole Jesus thing and wanting to drag you to church in some cases or tell you how you need to convert to Christianity to be saved. Frankly it just old some days and then you have a governor praying for rain, a state board of education that wants ID taught in schools and it just goes on and on..anybody else feel the same way about where they live being an atheist?

Texas Schools Face the Evolution Debate - On Education (usnews.com)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 12:45 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,297,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I moved to Texas from St.Louis in May of 2008 and have found myself growing more and more intolerant of religion and religious people the longer I stay in this state. Living in a predominately Catholic city like St.Louis seemed much easier because nobody really spoke about religion much. In Texas it's all over and people seem pretty bold about the whole Jesus thing and wanting to drag you to church in some cases or tell you how you need to convert to Christianity to be saved. Frankly it just old some days and then you have a governor praying for rain, a state board of education that wants ID taught in schools and it just goes on and on..anybody else feel the same way about where they live being an atheist?

You Must be in the NE section of TX. Sounds like Harrison Rusk or Panola County.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:01 PM

North Dallas area actually..Collin county.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:20 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,297,298 times
Quote:
North Dallas area actually..Collin county.
One of the Counties I haven't lived in.

I found Austin and the counties in the Valley to be very tolerant and more out of the Bible Belt.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:42 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,745,563 times
Quote:

Catholicism is often tradition and culture. Just imagine a drunk Irish Catholic that is your drinking buddy. He has no interest in converting you to Christianity. Ted Kennedy was as liberal as they come despite being Catholic.

OTOH, Evangelicals have this need to convert people.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Catholicism is often tradition and culture. Just imagine a drunk Irish Catholic that is your drinking buddy. He has no interest in converting you to Christianity. Ted Kennedy was as liberal as they come despite being Catholic.

OTOH, Evangelicals have this need to convert people.
Yes, Julian I think you hit the nail on the head there.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:01 PM

16,105 posts, read 17,915,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
You Must be in the NE section of TX. Sounds like Harrison Rusk or Panola County.
It's all over the state although there are pockets of tolerance in Austin and Houston certainly. Our suburb of Houston is not *awful* but we have had encounters of the conversion kind and my dil has been told that she is going to hell (She's Hindu).

Old 01-14-2012, 02:01 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,381,599 times
Quote:

WOW, you've obviously never been to Branson. It's the "I love Jesus, and so should you" capital of the world. You can't go to a music show without some fool witnessing to you from the stage.

Anyway.

I've lived in Texas (Corpus Christi) and religion was never mentioned. I would have thought that with the hispanic influence, Texas would be more Catholic than St. Louis. Nobody ever said grace at restaurants in Texas (that I can recall) which is a common every-day occurrence here in Missouri.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-14-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
WOW, you've obviously never been to Branson. It's the "I love Jesus, and so should you" capital of the world. You can't go to a music show without some fool witnessing to you from the stage.

Anyway.

I've lived in Texas (Corpus Christi) and religion was never mentioned. I would have thought that with the hispanic influence, Texas would be more Catholic than St. Louis. Nobody ever said grace at restaurants in Texas (that I can recall) which is a common every-day occurrence here in Missouri.

20yrsinBranson
The last time I was in Branson,Missouri was 40 years ago when my parents took me as a kid to Silver Dollar City...I know it has changed immensely since the Yakov Smirnoffs and others have come to town over the years. There are of course pockets of Hispanics in the Dallas area and they are for the most part Catholic as you would expect. However the Dallas Metroplex as a whole has a seemingly large majority of Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian churches with some Catholic churches of some size in some areas. But I can tell you the EXPERIENCE of living down here with religion is far different than what I encountered in St. Louis. Your results may vary in Branson of course...LOL

Old 01-14-2012, 05:11 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,381,599 times
Quote:
The last time I was in Branson,Missouri was 40 years ago when my parents took me as a kid to Silver Dollar City...I know it has changed immensely since the Yakov Smirnoffs and others have come to town over the years. There are of course pockets of Hispanics in the Dallas area and they are for the most part Catholic as you would expect. However the Dallas Metroplex as a whole has a seemingly large majority of Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian churches with some Catholic churches of some size in some areas. But I can tell you the EXPERIENCE of living down here with religion is far different than what I encountered in St. Louis. Your results may vary in Branson of course...LOL
Baptists are the worst. My condolences.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism