U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:41 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,115,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I do have questions about certain things, but I don't choose to spend too much time with these questions. I can't stay focused on any one thing for long periods of time.
I am very different, Looking. I like to focus on one thing until it breaks open and the truth comes out.

So far it is working for me because I have gained new insights reading the responses people give me, and I hope your method is working for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 09:07 AM

16,300 posts, read 24,969,718 times
Quote:
Ashe,
Fair enuf. IF we can limit the number of times Atheists can used the words "Bronze aged", "fairy tale" and "sky fairy" etc in the Christianity forum.
Let's see, when was "your" reference book written that you base everything on ............. Oh yea, during the bronze age .

And much of what is in your reference book is clearly far far from any possible reality, stuff like 5 miles of rain in only 40 days, the sun stopping in the sky (guess that was before man knew the earth wasn't flat and rotated), rising from the dead and levitating into the sky, parting seas, etc. etc. I think fairy tale is accurate.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,115,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
How about a limit on the amount of bronze age superstition (quoting verse) that can be posted in a single post in the R&P area. Let them build their walls of verse or towers of babel in the more appropriate area, their home turf. Don't ban it entirely, for that would render some of them mute, but perhaps 10 - 15 lines.
Quote:
Ashe,
Fair enuf. IF we can limit the number of times Atheists can used the words "Bronze aged", "fairy tale" and "sky fairy" etc in the Christianity forum.
I love it! My morning coffee is much more enjoyable reading posts like these.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:26 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,176,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Let's see, when was "your" reference book written that you base everything on ............. Oh yea, during the bronze age .

And much of what is in your reference book is clearly far far from any possible reality, stuff like 5 miles of rain in only 40 days, the sun stopping in the sky (guess that was before man knew the earth wasn't flat and rotated), rising from the dead and levitating into the sky, parting seas, etc. etc. I think fairy tale is accurate.

And you point is what? It's okay for atheist to say things that are offensive to Christians, but Christians aren't allowed to say things that are offensive to atheists? Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I love it! My morning coffee is much more enjoyable reading posts like these.

I am glad to help make your day more interesting.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:57 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,883,048 times
The word sin is saying we are immoral or that we are doing something wrong that deserves punishment.
Such as burning in hell. Indicating we are bad people.
However if we say to someone that they are delusional or believe in fairy tales. That is not indicating that the person is a bad person.
See the difference?

I think most of my delusional friends are just fine. They are not bad or deserve punishment.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
The word sin is saying we are immoral or that we are doing something wrong that deserves punishment.
Such as burning in hell. Indicating we are bad people.
However if we say to someone that they are delusional or believe in fairy tales. That is not indicating that the person is a bad person.
See the difference?

I think most of my delusional friends are just fine. They are not bad or deserve punishment.

Cheers,
Aeroman

They are just mentally ill and should maybe be institutionalized? I'd say "Yeah, i get it. Thanks for clearing that up!" But that might be the type of sarcasm that would be deleted. So, instead I'll just say; Thanks for trying to clear it up, but I still don't comprehend your logic.

(I know my grammar is awful - sorry but I ain't fixing it)

Old 01-24-2012, 06:49 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,969,718 times
Quote:
And you point is what? It's okay for atheist to say things that are offensive to Christians, but Christians aren't allowed to say things that are offensive to atheists? Thanks for clearing that up.
All one has to do to offend a christian is to state facts that dispel their fable. There is a lot of truth in " People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs"

Christians on the other hand have to make stuff up in their effort to offend an atheist, stuff like we lack morals, will burn in hell, etc.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:30 PM

8,820 posts, read 6,366,929 times
Maybe the being offended comes from the fact that religions do not allow questioning and taking apart of the biblestories. They certainly don't encourage it, they might claim they do, but not really. Sundayschool is not for questioning, it's just for added brainwashing and the reenforcing of tales and getting rid of any doubts that might lurk thanks to some extra prodding from ignorant non believers..
How dare others, who say they are non believers, even question our faith? surely they are evil, devils, the worst sinners... anyone who says things that might make us think outside our wellprepared box, is an evildoer.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I am very different, Looking. I like to focus on one thing until it breaks open and the truth comes out.

So far it is working for me because I have gained new insights reading the responses people give me, and I hope your method is working for you.

So far my method works just fine for me. Maybe after my son graduates highschool and my elderly father passes, and I stop allowing myself to be caretiver to everyone around me, I will have more time for puzzling over my questions until the truth comes out. I do however, suspect that the "truth" which I find, may be very different from yours. I believe everyone has a different truth.

By the way...I think it was you who suggested something about sitting under a tree and contemplating. I read it and did not have time to reply. Then I could not remember which thread you posted that in and I have not come across it since.

If that was you...I had to wonder, because of what you said. Do you think I'm a man? I thought I had already cleared that up. Of course that has nothing to do with anything, but it just sounded as if you were assuming that.

To reply to your suggestion. The advice, if I remember it correctly was not bad advice, to a certain extent. I enjoy pondering and sould searching etc. But I also think it is helpful to learn how others feel about things and listen to their points of view and consider them while trying to find my "answers". (as always, please excuse the typos, misspells and bad grammar)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism