U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 06:49 PM

8,831 posts, read 10,179,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Of course there are racist atheist in the world. Being an atheist doesn't automatically immune you from being a racist. You can still be a bigot and believe in the negative stereotypes of racial groups that have nothing to do with a believing in god or not. It is possible for an atheist to be a racist. I'm pretty sure there are White Supremacist members that could be atheist.
Absolutely!! I don't have a racist bone in my body but I live in the deep south and you know what I deal with. I don't belong here but I'm stuck, help me!! Nah, sorry, that's my own personal dilemma and things they are a-changing. So, I don't know any atheists personally but you know where I live so that's impossible and I'm interested to see what other people have to say about this........only atheists I know are here at C-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 PM

31,734 posts, read 32,531,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Of course there are racist atheist in the world. Being an atheist doesn't automatically immune you from being a racist. You can still be a bigot and believe in the negative stereotypes of racial groups that have nothing to do with a believing in god or not. It is possible for an atheist to be a racist. I'm pretty sure there are White Supremacist members that could be atheist.
I really doubt that there are many anti gay atheists...I certainly don't know any...From my experience on this forum anti gay bigotry seems to be mainly a religious thing.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,410,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Absolutely!! I don't have a racist bone in my body but I live in the deep south and you know what I deal with. I don't belong here but I'm stuck, help me!! Nah, sorry, that's my own personal dilemma and things they are a-changing. So, I don't know any atheists personally but you know where I live so that's impossible and I'm interested to see what other people have to say about this........only atheists I know are here at C-D.
SC Foothills, I'm guessing Pickens or Oconee county, actually pretty country but I suspect there are no real clusters of free thinking open minded people. I suspect I would find it stifling also. If nothing else Asheville is alive with diversity, and the attracts people with diverse and open views.

Asheville is an island of liberal and open minded people, some a bit too liberal, but creates an environment where no one group can intimidate any others. Go downtown and you can witness the preachers with their megaphones screaming hate while the drum circle of much more liberal people create a unique scene. It averages out, there are freaks at both extremes.

Every Friday night, Pritchard Park in downtown.

Asheville Drum Circle - YouTube

Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 AM

4,838 posts, read 3,177,912 times
Anyone disagree that instincts tell some heterosexual males to attack feminent males? That could result in some degree of dislike for homosexuals by a significantly instinct-driven atheist towards a significantly feminent homosexual male. I can't think of any other reasons though. They're keeping the earth from becomming overpopulated and ideally would be emptying the orphanages. What's not to like?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 AM

678 posts, read 582,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Anyone disagree that instincts tell some heterosexual males to attack feminent males? That could result in some degree of dislike for homosexuals by a significantly instinct-driven atheist towards a significantly feminent homosexual male. I can't think of any other reasons though. They're keeping the earth from becomming overpopulated and ideally would be emptying the orphanages. What's not to like?
I don't agree that some males attack effeminate males out of instinct. This line of reasoning is the whole animal kingdom kills the weaker/different of species. I believe they do it for one of two reasons.

First, some people are just a*()holes that like to pick on people different from themselves.

Second, that it makes them question their own sexuality.

Just MHO, but anyone that is secure in their own skin has nothing to fear from those that are different.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:10 PM

4,838 posts, read 3,177,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
I don't agree that some males attack effeminate males out of instinct. This line of reasoning is the whole animal kingdom kills the weaker/different of species. I believe they do it for one of two reasons.

First, some people are just a*()holes that like to pick on people different from themselves.

Second, that it makes them question their own sexuality.

Just MHO, but anyone that is secure in their own skin has nothing to fear from those that are different.
I think legal non adults...those under the age of 18, are more likely to do it than adults...that's why I was thinking it was instinct, but that would only apply to unusually feminent males, not homosexuals...maybe homosexual males who act feminently.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:15 PM

678 posts, read 582,384 times
Quote:
I think legal non adults...those under the age of 18, are more likely to do it than adults...that's why I was thinking it was instinct, but that would only apply to unusually feminent males, not homosexuals...maybe homosexual males who act feminently.
Put in that context you may be correct. Children don't have the ability to reason out the long term consequences of their actions as they haven't completely developed that portion of their brains.

So it may be instinctual at that level, but more often than not, its a learned response from their friends, parents, society or entirely peer pressure.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:59 PM

31,734 posts, read 32,531,474 times
Quote:
Instinct I think would not encourage straight men to attack gay men, because after all the more gay men there are the less competition there is for available females...Attacking them would be counter productive to evolutionary instinct.....No, I will stick to my guns and put it down to societal bigotry caused by religion.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:04 PM

120 posts, read 104,336 times
I personally find the idea of even seeing another male naked rather revolting. I can say with absolute certainty that I'm attracted to women entirely.

But so what? Some guys are gay, some are straight. Some women are lesbians, some are straight. And some people are bi. That's just the way it is. Of all the things we can use to actually judge people, their sexuality just doesn't seem like one of those things to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Except that this is not true. Do you believe in true love? Do you believe that some people are just "meant to be"? I do as I have seen it with my own eyes.
I'm sorry. I really can't pass up this opportunity.

Tim Minchin - If I Didn't Have You - Full Uncut Version - YouTube (note: his wife [who he lost his virginity to, BTW] actually adores this song)

(Oh yeah... language warning)

Old 04-06-2012, 06:09 AM

113 posts, read 134,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
SC Foothills, I'm guessing Pickens or Oconee county, actually pretty country but I suspect there are no real clusters of free thinking open minded people. I suspect I would find it stifling also. If nothing else Asheville is alive with diversity, and the attracts people with diverse and open views.

Asheville is an island of liberal and open minded people, some a bit too liberal, but creates an environment where no one group can intimidate any others. Go downtown and you can witness the preachers with their megaphones screaming hate while the drum circle of much more liberal people create a unique scene. It averages out, there are freaks at both extremes.

Every Friday night, Pritchard Park in downtown.

Asheville Drum Circle - YouTube
This looks like fun.Id like to have been there for this happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or