U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:29 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,166,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that the OP was directing his/her question at non-believers only.

I guess the best way to know for sure would be to ask the original poster. Where did Yasso go anyway?
Who else would he be addressing in this forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 05:33 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,175,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Who else would he be addressing in this forum?

AGNOSTICS

Old 01-22-2012, 06:12 PM

3,558 posts, read 6,175,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasoo View Post
Hello,

I'm wondering if there are any atheist/agnostics who still admire Jesus Christ but don't necessary have to belong to Christian faith ?
I know some that hate religion but love Jesus
It just kills em to think think we just can't find it in our hearts to believe doesn't! Its a constant grind on their gears. I see these questions a lot on here in what seems like an attempt to somehow get us to try to accept some part of jesus into our lives. Its like incomprehensible to them that we cant

Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 PM

344 posts, read 339,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasoo View Post
Hello,

I'm wondering if there are any atheist/agnostics who still admire Jesus Christ but don't necessary have to belong to Christian faith ?
I know some that hate religion but love Jesus
I am an atheist and I wrote a piece on Jesus not long ago. I said that I believed he actually existed, albeit in a bygone time. I wrote that I believe he comforted the masses in a time when hardship and despair were commonplace. He also pointed people in the right direction ethically and morally. Consequently he deserves admiration and commendation.

In my opinion Jesus was not the Son of God. But neither was Martin Luther King, and he too is justly admired.

Last edited by KatieGal; 01-22-2012 at 07:24 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 07:24 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,854,728 times
There are some admirable things about the Jesus character and some not so much. He does not always come across as a likeable person in how he's portrayed in certain parts of the Bible, but hey, we all have our faults.

Overall I guess I would give him a thumbs up. I don't think I'd use the word love though.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times
Of course I don't. There likely was, as someone pointed out a charismatic fast talker who presented a political problem to the Romans and their front men, so he was killed by crucifixtion as were tens of thousands of other criminals and problems to the Romans.
How all this became this religion thing is beyond my understanding.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:33 AM

15,310 posts, read 10,341,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
I am an atheist and I wrote a piece on Jesus not long ago. I said that I believed he actually existed, albeit in a bygone time. I wrote that I believe he comforted the masses in a time when hardship and despair were commonplace. He also pointed people in the right direction ethically and morally. Consequently he deserves admiration and commendation.
....but do you never wonder why nobody outside of the Bible authors seemed to notice him comforting the masses and pointing people in the right direction? I mean, you'd think that at least one historian, reporter or social commentator of the time might have noticed this dude comforting the masses.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:43 AM

39,066 posts, read 10,842,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Of course I don't. There likely was, as someone pointed out a charismatic fast talker who presented a political problem to the Romans and their front men, so he was killed by crucifixion as were tens of thousands of other criminals and problems to the Romans.
How all this became this religion thing is beyond my understanding.
It puzzled me for a while as well, but I think I sussed it out now in general terms.

In fact I have found that, when you study someone, you get drawn to them, even if you don't approve of them. Thus I have have a liking and sympathy for Jesus, the failed and crucified Jewish messiah. But I have said before and say it again that I really don't find the snappish, patronizing, pugnacious, intolerant and spiteful Jesus of the gospels a very likeable character at all.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:00 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,467,569 times
To me there is not enough compelling and overwhelming evidence that the person of Jesus Christ ever existed. Possible but not likely. Since I believe the Bible to be man made and not divinely inspired, I don't take seriously any "Son of God" claims and such. In other words whether or not this person ever existed does not play any role in my daily life whatsoever.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:26 AM

7 posts, read 5,850 times
Even though I'm non-believer; I still believe that Jesus Christ excisted and he was a great, faithful person who taught good things. I love many of his quotes. Too bad some Christians are not like Jesus.

Sorry but those who say Jesus did not exist are being ignorant. Common you don't have to believe he was Son of God, but he was a historic person. Nobody could proof that any historic people existed either, but there are books and certain other things that proofs it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism