U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:57 AM

39,400 posts, read 10,979,347 times

Advertisements

That is a contentious claim which you might like to discuss.

I can understand why you believe history support his existence -in fact a recent 'Josephus, Tacitus, Suetonius..' thread made me see it from the Theist view - but in fact the evidence is very slender, and the sheer omission of such a remarkable person from history is bothersome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 12:08 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,136,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamitas View Post
Even though I'm non-believer; I still believe that Jesus Christ excisted and he was a great, faithful person who taught good things. I love many of his quotes. Too bad some Christians are not like Jesus.

Sorry but those who say Jesus did not exist are being ignorant. Common you don't have to believe he was Son of God, but he was a historic person. Nobody could proof that any historic people existed either, but there are books and certain other things that proofs it.
That is something you CANNOT say with any certainty, and in fact, makes YOU sound like the ignorant one. I can show you piles and piles of literature that tell of Santa Claus. That doesn't make him real either. There are numerous fables and fairy tales concerning Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, that doesn't mean they were ever real either. It's unlikely Gilgamesh ever existed either, although his story is one of the oldest fables known to mankind.

To put it simply, don't believe everything you read dear. Don't call us ignorant when you don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 01-23-2012 at 01:12 PM..

Old 01-23-2012, 12:09 PM

8,820 posts, read 6,377,965 times
If this Jesus ever lived, there would have been other mentions in historical works, even less favorable accounts would be found because someone of that much importance can't be ignored by so many writers and storytellers of that time..... I think he was another invention to make people understand and believe certain things in that book, just like the holy ghost and so many other characters... If he excisted at all, he was some political figure who tried to gain followers any which way he could think of but I doubt he ever lived.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:03 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,763,463 times
Jesus, if he ever existed, actually said very little of any worth. He merely espoused more silliness just like every other so-called prophet. There is little about his words that make him a redeeming character in the bible fable.

I don't give a rats arse if he existed or not personally.

And by the way, christianity as we know it was started by Paul, not Jesus.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:07 PM

1,922 posts, read 4,355,794 times
Another non-believer here.
No one has ever offered any concrete evidence that he even existed.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:11 PM

8,820 posts, read 6,377,965 times
well there is that shroud in Turin and the vial of his blood in Bruges and loads of pieces of wood and nails from that cross...the word "massproduction" was probably invented by his crowd.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:30 PM

10,329 posts, read 11,265,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
well there is that shroud in Turin and the vial of his blood in Bruges and loads of pieces of wood and nails from that cross...the word "massproduction" was probably invented by his crowd.
I believe I read one time that if all the pieces of the True Cross (TM) were assembled into one place the cross would be as big as a good-sized building.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:36 PM

619 posts, read 469,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That is a contentious claim which you might like to discuss.

I can understand why you believe history support his existence -in fact a recent 'Josephus, Tacitus, Suetonius..' thread made me see it from the Theist view - but in fact the evidence is very slender, and the sheer omission of such a remarkable person from history is bothersome.
I think that if he did exist, he didnt become a "remarkable" person until many years after his death. He likely was a local cult leader with a small following and was executed before he could become more. After many decades his feats and words became continually seriously embelished and it was this (along with Pauls organizational skills) that caused him to attain remarkable & godlike status.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:10 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,686,500 times
He was another human out of billions. Society would have figured out that we shouldn't rape or kill our neighbors without him. He doesn't matter.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:58 AM

39,400 posts, read 10,979,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I believe I read one time that if all the pieces of the True Cross (TM) were assembled into one place the cross would be as big as a good-sized building.
I recall that C. S Lewis countered that by claiming that if all the bits of the True Cross were brought together, they would make one cross.

No one ever said he wasn't a good propagandist. However, the point is that even if the cross that was unaccountably found was chopped up into the hundreds of bits that we have now, the chances of it really being the cross on which Jesus probably was crucified, which probably all that we can take on trust about him, are pretty remote. After all, during the Roman Jewish war the place had so many crosses that the whole vicinity was cleared of trees, and the place where it was found is not credibly the crucifixion site anyway as it was already a populous suburb in Jesus' time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism