U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:45 AM

4,391 posts, read 2,983,422 times

Advertisements

raised agnostic/religiously neutral, possibly an atheist although didn't know the meaning of the term for a few years. Someone once said the purpose of all life is to live. That seems to make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 PM

98 posts, read 127,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I think I am somewhat unique on the board because I was never raised to believe in religion. I do not think I was raised an atheist but my mom is an atheist (and former christian) and dad was an agnostic (formerly jewish) so I am not an ex-anything.

All of the morals, purpose, etc in my life has always come from a place that religion was never a part of, so it is strange indeed to understand why people think such things.
I agree. I'm a third generation atheist and never understand these questions. There are so many things that give purpose to life that is outside religion that I just can't imagine people not understanding that. We live full, wonderful lives and so do our children. I have never missed it because I have never had it, why is that so strange? And yes, we do Easter and Christmas and the Tooth Fairy???

ETA: I was also raised with no religion, no mention of it at all...either for or against. It just wasn't a subject in our home. We are raising our two boys the same way. They will get to make their own decision when they are grown just like I did. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:30 PM

17,287 posts, read 19,572,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
For some Christians that I have met, this is a big question. I guess after being immersed in Christianity for awhile, the idea that one can form and create their own purpose in life is something of an enigma.
Why do you think someone cannot create their own purpose in life?

Careers, goals, families and children, hobbies and interests, traveling, - there are quite a lot of things to choose from.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 653 times
MY "purpose" is to stay above grass as long as possible and to eat muffins. : ) No one can be mean while eating a nice warm muffin. Since religious belief doesn't promote or inhibit the making of muffins...I discount it entirely. After all, I DO have life choices and priorities. Some tell me that I am missing the mark, that religious belief is emotionally fulfilling and creates a solid foundation for living "the good life". I have found by simple observation...the exact opposite is true. I refuse delusional thinking in favor of logic and reason. Religions promote lies and fairy stories. If I want to feel awe inspired and amazed? All I need to do is look up into the night sky and observe the stars.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:44 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,378,278 times
Wink An alternate viewpoint, but also an inarguable one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Some people believe in god and religion because no one wants to face the pretty probable fact that our existence is inherently worthless. They don't want to know that they will die while our indifferent universe will go on like nothing happened.
Aganusn, even though () I am an avowed and vigorous atheist, I really don't quite see my existence here as "inherently worthless" by any means. I will leave a personal legacy of enthusiastic interst and knowledge with my three children and one grandchild. I made my parents proud by my education and academic contributions, and I loved to be outdoors with my aging father & now my family (he lived a full and happy life until he was 98), and I always seem to be able to joyously pass on my near-ecstatic enjoyment of the natural world to anyone within earshot, and especially with mine and others' interested and very curious kids.

I revel in learning the endlessly amazing truths about how we all got to be here, but without the mind-numbing suppression of knowledge that is characterized and demanded by organized Christianity and even more so, by Islamic perspectives, with it's out-of-control chauvinism.

Yep, the universe is indifferent, but that's not a good reason to not be enthralled by it. After all, there is no wondrous outside deity working just for our benefit in exchange for our undying fealty and blind obedience to Him.

Please folks! Do enjoy this life. It's a biochemical miracle (but only statistically speaking I'll add...) that we're here at all!

Old 01-31-2012, 03:33 AM

39,203 posts, read 10,880,280 times
Perhaps Aganusn is hip with all that but is pointing up the fear that Theists profess that their lives would fall apart if they ever came to beleve that It All had No Meaning (lots of TMs). In a way that's theist for 'dread of the loss of belief that Jesusgod is watching over them, cares about them and is making them feel Very special'.

Some atheists mock this with 'Stockholm syndrome' but the fact is that release from a belief of that kind is a release from control, dictatorship, even slavery.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:00 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,368,976 times
you got something there, Arequipa...but it really does sound like Stockholm syndrome, I feel all religions are cultlike in that they're about control and total enslavement of mind and body....Just the thought that an atheist might just be right is scaring many out of their wits.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:00 AM

39,203 posts, read 10,880,280 times
Default Atheists cat haz purpuss???

While I don't want to get into theist deprecation mode, sometimes getting them to question their justification for believing (though not the reason for believing) is the best way of explaining to them that a lack of belief does not rob life of all meaning or purpose. It just takes the supposed meaning and purpose from someone else and hands it back to us.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,368,976 times
that's right

Old 01-31-2012, 01:36 PM

35,290 posts, read 19,322,938 times
Default It's as simple as this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
For some Christians that I have met, this is a big question. I guess after being immersed in Christianity for awhile, the idea that one can form and create their own purpose in life is something of an enigma. It's also illuminating to see ex Christians who have left the faith finally realize that they CAN have a purpose and goals in life WITHOUT trying to decipher what a deity like the biblical God wants for them.

As some have seem from my other posts, I do go over to ex-christian.net to get into the mindset of those who are leaving Christianity behind or have done that already. A great deal of them find it liberating to realize that all that tiresome work of deciphering what God wants from you no longer weighs you down.

The whole purpose of religionists insisting that your life have a purpose is for them to convince you that their purpose should be yours; control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or