U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:27 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,469,187 times

Advertisements

For some Christians that I have met, this is a big question. I guess after being immersed in Christianity for awhile, the idea that one can form and create their own purpose in life is something of an enigma. It's also illuminating to see ex Christians who have left the faith finally realize that they CAN have a purpose and goals in life WITHOUT trying to decipher what a deity like the biblical God wants for them.

As some have seem from my other posts, I do go over to ex-christian.net to get into the mindset of those who are leaving Christianity behind or have done that already. A great deal of them find it liberating to realize that all that tiresome work of deciphering what God wants from you no longer weighs you down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 12:01 PM

39,213 posts, read 10,895,806 times
It's understandable that believers, with God supposedly micromanaging their lives through the celestial turnstile cannot see any point in a life without Jesus and shudder at the very idea.

Atheists, having a whole laden table of life in front of them and no religious dietary restrictions imposed cannot understand why theists cannot see that they are giving up so much of what makes us what we are and what makes life worth living.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:13 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,682,255 times
Some people believe in god and religion because no one wants to face the pretty probable fact that our existence is inherently worthless. They don't want to know that they will die while our indifferent universe will go on like nothing happened.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:19 PM

16,630 posts, read 14,098,718 times
I think I am somewhat unique on the board because I was never raised to believe in religion. I do not think I was raised an atheist but my mom is an atheist (and former christian) and dad was an agnostic (formerly jewish) so I am not an ex-anything.

All of the morals, purpose, etc in my life has always come from a place that religion was never a part of, so it is strange indeed to understand why people think such things.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:29 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,981,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I think I am somewhat unique on the board because I was never raised to believe in religion. I do not think I was raised an atheist but my mom is an atheist (and former christian) and dad was an agnostic (formerly jewish) so I am not an ex-anything.

All of the morals, purpose, etc in my life has always come from a place that religion was never a part of, so it is strange indeed to understand why people think such things.
I like to say I am a 'free range feral atheist', as nature intended, and also not an ex-anything.

Not totally unique, I was raised not specifically as an atheist, but in a loving home where there was no religion. There was never even a bible in any of our families belongings.

I was sent to parochial school for the academic education, and I heard all the blather and nonsense, and decided very early on this was some serious delusional beliefs they were pushing.

I never suffered the abuse that I have seen many here describe, I was never taught a prayer about dying before I wake, which is typically taught before a child has a concept of death. I was never threatened with burning in hell if I didn't obey mommy and take out the trash or clean my room.

I think the one thing that you and I are missing is the euphoria of gaining our freedom from such abuse and delusion.

The only people that can truly know how it would feel to be released from prison when a wrongful conviction is overturned by new evidence. The same is true for our minds have never imprisoned by the bonds of ignorance of religions and gods, or the anger of being so abused by the ignorance.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:49 PM

8,820 posts, read 6,369,817 times
Those of you who have never been subjected to religions are lucky; but then at the same time, people being who and how they are, those same lucky ones may wonder what it would be like to have religion in their lives and seek it out anyway.
And to get to the the OP's post, atheists probably seem like cold, inhuman, ignorant fish to some religious people..how can we possibly live each day like it's our last and have purpose without religion in our lives? Well, we have reality and we know this is our only chance at life and doing the best we can while we're here on earth, alive. Our purpose is just simple really,.... we live on in our kids and grandkids and the memories of everyone we came in touch with thoughout our life; we leave our mark on the living, if possible. But we shouldn't take ourselves so seriously really. We are just mammals surviving or trying to. We're liable to be extinct soon.
There are no second chances, no rewards for behaving. Hell is a slick human invention to keep the sheep in line. Atheists have "risen" above all that, so to speak.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 PM

6,886 posts, read 6,209,806 times
In general all people have a "purpose". That "purpose" is to survive as long as possible and to pass our genes on to another generation of the species.

Anything professed above and beyond that is just window dressing.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,981,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
In general all people have a "purpose". That "purpose" is to survive as long as possible and to pass our genes on to another generation of the species.

Anything professed above and beyond that is just window dressing.
Pretty much sums it all up. From the mold growing on the old bread in the kitchen, to the cockroach scampering across the kitchen floor to the blue whales swimming in the oceans, survival of species is the goal of all life on this planet, and nothing more.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:38 AM

39,213 posts, read 10,895,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

Like AN I am also a lifetime atheist (though I did give Buddhism a try for a decade) though I was raised in a fairly irreligious home, I was raised in a church society, but never bought into the product.

In my teens I had a few puzzling problems thrown at me by Evangelists from across the pond peddling their message and, while I sorta suspected that the reason Tyre was destroyed as in the prophecy was a coincidence, it did nag at my mind, but the End of World prophecy attached to it didn't come about and that sort of trashed their credit with me.

I guess that reading 'The Jesus scroll' kindled my interest in Jesus as a historical figure (1) but it was a challenge to really read the Bible that turned me into an active board -posting atheist evangelical.

And at least that answered the question of the Tyre prophecy. It was written after the event. Simples.

P.s On my last board a survey was done and it about alf -and -half converts and lifetime atheist. There may be quite a few of us denial-rats about.

(1) While the book is journalistic and speculative and some parts I am sure are a made - up story, it turned out to hit the nail on the head with the eyes shut (so to speak) surprisingly often

Old 01-24-2012, 04:44 AM

34,434 posts, read 41,537,489 times
As an atheist i'm just trying to live a good life, if pan dimensional super being/s insert themselves into my future i'll deal with that when/if the situation arises..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or