U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 03:24 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,680,414 times

Advertisements

I'm not culturally christian for the same reason you're not culturally muslim. Just because I was born here doesn't mean I have to believe in a social institution.

Only a few in my family know I'm an atheist because we all agree with each other. We don't feel the need to tell anyone because we don;t want to cause drama and we're not sure how they'll react. As you know, just being an atheist can offend some people. Some of my family members are southern.

No, I will not convert to any religion.

No, I will not believe in god just because. Will you believe god is Morgan Freeman just because?

Society once thought it was completely OK to hang me while others watched and laughed because of my genetic predisposition of being black. Does that make it ok just because the majority says it is?

Religion, just like many other things, are social instiutions: they were created by humans for various reasons. We live in a modern society, and in modern societies we use things like science and evidence to conduct our lives in an efficient way.

Would you be ok with being prosecuted because someone spread the rumor that you were a witch? Wouldn't you want the court to listen to your evidence that you aren't a witch, or would you rather they believe your accuser on faith?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:15 PM

16,600 posts, read 14,081,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamitas View Post
I just have a question to Non-believers, but mainly Atheists. Please don't call me ignorant or troll... Atheism is very interesting to me.

- Why aren't you cultural Christian (Like many Europeans)?
What is the point of pretending?

Quote:
- Does your family and nearest people know that you are non-believer? What was their reaction when you told them?
My parents know, they raised me without religion. Some of my family knows but we never talk about religion since most of them are not religious so I am not sure if they all know.

Quote:
- Is there, by any chance, you will ever convert to Christianity (but not necessary become religious)?
NO.

Quote:
- Why don't you just believe in God (Not be religious) and rather wait to see it's not true that God does not exist, rather than denying him now and not being 100% sure God does not exist. You never know.... after death anything could happen. Don't you rather be on the safer side?
Ah...Pascal's wager. Look, if there was a god, and it was omnipotent then it would know I was faking. What is the point of lying to a god?

Quote:
- What do you think of "IN GOD WE TRUST" as our motto, in our currency and pledge of the flag?
It's dumb. And fyi it was added to the pledge of allegiance in the 1950s, not original at all.

Quote:
- Do you feel that Christians control to much in our society, or do you respect that they are by far the majority, and therefore fair for them to control? Remember the U.S. has 247 million Christians (around 80%) of the population.
The constitution was written to ensure the freedom of and FROM religion. Therefore no religious group has the right to control even a tiny portion of the government.

Quote:
- What do you think of the Christian holidays/culture in the U.S.?
They are a silly rip off of old druidic festivities.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:29 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,966,937 times
Response in blue
Quote:

Why aren't you 'culture gay' or cultural Buddhist or Muslim? Why pretend to be what I am not? Are you so insecure or what to be one of the mindless flock you participate in what ever others are into. (well that does seem to have a lot of draw for those that are refereed to as the flock)

- Does your family and nearest people know that you are non-believer? What was their reaction when you told them?
Yep, Ranging from atheist to find religion a totally useless past time.

- Is there, by any chance, you will ever convert to Christianity (but not necessary become religious)?
If I do, I will have completely lost my mind and should be locked away in a mental ward for the criminally insane.

- Why don't you just believe in God (Not be religious) and rather wait to see it's not true that God does not exist, rather than denying him now and not being 100% sure God does not exist. You never know.... after death anything could happen. Don't you rather be on the safer side?
Because it is the most absurd concept man has ever dreamed up. Why don't you believe in pink 80 foot tall polka dotted unicorns?

- What do you think of "IN GOD WE TRUST" as our motto, in our currency and pledge of the flag?
It blows rancid groceries, and is proof of the dangerous power of stupid people in large numbers.

- Do you feel that Christians control to much in our society, or do you respect that they are by far the majority, and therefore fair for them to control? Remember the U.S. has 247 million Christians (around 80%) of the population.
Yes, a significant number (enough to pose a true threat to freedom and our future) are working very hard to legislate their ignorance born in the stone and bronze age into our society and laws.

A day off is a day off (well it was, before I retired) now mostly annoying because banks are closed and there is no mail deliver.
Clearly you are completely clueless about anything to do with atheism.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:29 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,939,436 times
Quote:
I just have a question to Non-believers, but mainly Atheists. Please don't call me ignorant or troll... Atheism is very interesting to me.

Why would I?

Quote:
Yeah, and they don't care.

Quote:
Yes, anything's possible. And converting to Christianity by definition would mean I would become religious.

Quote:
- Why don't you just believe in God (Not be religious) and rather wait to see it's not true that God does not exist,
Because believing in things for no reason leads to an incoherent world view. You have to believe millions of contradictory things at once just because you can't conclusively disprove them. It's a pointless, futile exercise.

Quote:
I think tying religion into politics in this country is more dangerous for religion than politics in the long run - look to Europe and the decline in power of evangelical Christians for examples.

Quote:
- Do you feel that Christians control to much in our society
Yep.

Quote:
What Christian holidays? I'm aware of some secular holidays that were also used by various religions in the past.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Believing in a murderous god is good for children Raising children into the raging ignorance of the bronze age is good for children Threats of burning in hell if they don't clean their room or eat their vegtables is good for children

As for living things, my dogs are also atheist, though I had a cat that thought he was god, but he's dead.

Yes, prayer changes...changes people into simpletons talking to imaginary friends/foes, and expecting an answer
I never heard of any God that kills people. Nobody threatened anyone to go to hell or kill anybody. It's against the commandment.

Just because there are few fundamentalist Christian extremist doesn't mean they represent 2.2 billion Christians....

Old 01-24-2012, 09:12 AM

30,881 posts, read 31,773,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint-Catherine View Post
I never heard of any God that kills people. Nobody threatened anyone to go to hell or kill anybody. It's against the commandment.
Have you not read the bible?

Quote:
Just because there are few fundamentalist Christian extremist doesn't mean they represent 2.2 billion Christians....
True, since there are more than 30,000 versions of Christianity.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:24 AM

8,998 posts, read 8,415,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint-Catherine View Post
According to Christian theology, God was directly responsible for the global flood which killed all of humanity other than Noah and his family.

How do you reconcile this alleged fact with your statement that God does not kill people?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:59 AM

3,881 posts, read 7,309,300 times
Why aren't you cultural Christian (Like many Europeans)?
No interest. I do celebrate Xmas but I celebrate the secular holiday. Otherwise its no different from a Christian not celebrating Jewish or Muslim holidays.

My family and friends know. They don't care. They love me regardless. Most of my friends are also non-believers. So is my husband.

Never! Never ever! There is no point. I also would never raise my childen to follow religious creeds.

That to me is not a safe side. That is being phoney. There are no gods, no afterlife, no saviors, no judgement day. I am no certain that my fate is eternal death that I have no need to fake it just to make anybody happy. That is my safe side.

Its bull and an example of a failure of seperation of church and state. If the dollar bill read "In Allah we trust" Christians would feel the same. Religion has no place in governmeny.

This will change in time and I look forward to it and a majority non-Christian nation one day.

I love Xmas. That's all. And Jesus doesn't have a thing to do with it!

Old 01-27-2012, 05:12 PM

8,965 posts, read 6,502,475 times
Quote:

- Why aren't you cultural Christian (Like many Europeans)?.
It's a religion, not a culture

Quote:
Does your family and nearest people know that you are non-believer? What was their reaction when you told them?
My family did not take it well at all but I had to speak up. I was tired of hiding it. Christmas was the worst because I strongly disagree that it should be a government holiday. My mom had MS for the last 40+ years of her life and she told me that when I came out it was the biggest disappointment of her life.

I am estranged from my only brother because he is a church going Catholic and apparently they are brainwashing him that he should hate his atheist brother.

Quote:
Is there, by any chance, you will ever convert to Christianity (but not necessary become religious)?
I was a Christian until shortly after my 19th birthday. I was raised Catholic and went through all the rituals so I have seen both sides. There is no chance I will go back, not after 37+ consecutive years of being an atheist.

Quote:
Why don't you just believe in God (Not be religious) and rather wait to see it's not true that God does not exist, rather than denying him now and not being 100% sure God does not exist. You never know.... after death anything could happen. Don't you rather be on the safer side?
The "safer side" point of view always kills me, LOL. I am not afraid of a bad invisible man in the sky that will do harm to me when I die even though I am a very good person and a productive human being. I'm confident that when I'm dead, I'm dead. There is no afterlife just like there is no before life. I quit believing the lies many years ago.

Quote:
What do you think of "IN GOD WE TRUST" as our motto, in our currency and pledge of the flag?
It shouldn't be there. As long as atheists, non-believers, and many Jewish people are allowed to live in the United States there is no such thing as In God We Trust because I and many others are not part of the "We."
I am also not under any god.

Quote:
Do you feel that Christians control to much in our society, or do you respect that they are by far the majority, and therefore fair for them to control? Remember the U.S. has 247 million Christians (around 80%) of the population.
(small example) There was a time when it was popular to own slaves, blacks were second class citizens, and women did not even have the right to vote. That is proof the majority is not always right.

Quote:
What do you think of the Christian holidays/culture in the U.S.?
Already covered above. I do not like it but it is what is and I think people should have the freedom to blindly follow if that is what they want.

Quote:
Take care.
You too and I hope this helps.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:05 PM

1,765 posts, read 3,864,408 times
Mamitas,
I read these forums and rarely post on this board, if at all.
I will answer your questions.
Why not cultral Christain?
When I hit puberty I realized religion didn't make any sense to me.

Do my family and friends know?
Absolutely! I married an atheist, my 3 children were free
to choose to believe or not believe whatever they want.
I was not baptised into any religion and my 3 children weren't
either.

Will I ever convert to Christain?
No. Religion is eviel. I stay away from it.

Why not believe in God to be on the safe side?
Your kidding, right?

Do Christains control too much in our society?
No. Greed does.

What I think of Christain Holidays?
The only one I celebrate is Christmas.
I love buying and receiving presents and a nice
Christmas tree. That is exactly what Christmas is to me.
Hubby loves the food. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism