U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:02 AM

242 posts, read 197,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamitas View Post
- Why aren't you cultural Christian (Like many Europeans)?
I think this one has been hammered out well enough by most of the others, but I simply have no desire to "fake believe" in much of anything.

Quote:
- Does your family and nearest people know that you are non-believer? What was their reaction when you told them?
My immediate family knows ...I can't say as it flew too well with my father (he was a Southern Baptist minister and so was my mother's father) and it took nearly a decade (and a lot of extremely heated arguments) before he finally quit trying to "convert me back." I was the first to "come out" as atheist and eventually my two brothers followed (one after a few years of studying to be in the ministry himself). Most all of my close friends know and it's never been a problem; the only one I ever have issues with is my brother in law.

Quote:
- Is there, by any chance, you will ever convert to Christianity (but not necessary become religious)?
Pretending that one could even be Christian without being "religious," all I can say is been there, done that. (that would be a resounding "no")

Quote:
- Why don't you just believe in God (Not be religious) and rather wait to see it's not true that God does not exist, rather than denying him now and not being 100% sure God does not exist. You never know.... after death anything could happen. Don't you rather be on the safer side?
Pascal's wager has been thoroughly covered by others.

Quote:
- What do you think of "IN GOD WE TRUST" as our motto, in our currency and pledge of the flag?
Since the original motto was E. Pluribus Unum (out of many ...one), and our country is rapidly reaching the point where only four out of five people identify as Christian, I think IGWT serves to divide rather than unite and we should return to the original. Both additions were added BY LAW in the 50's and violate the last 60 years of SC precedent on favoring religion (which is exactly why the last serious challenge was ducked on a technicality). Personally I could care less whether it remains, but I wish people would stop pretending it wasn't added as part of cold-war "godless commie" propaganda rather than by our founders. I've known more than one Jew who felt IGWT on our currency constituted a "graven image."

Quote:
- Do you feel that Christians control to much in our society, or do you respect that they are by far the majority, and therefore fair for them to control? Remember the U.S. has 247 million Christians (around 80%) of the population.
Do you feel that we should do away with the Senate? The reason we have bicameral houses of congress is to limit majority tyranny. Our founders weren't very fond of pure democracy and neither am I; I believe majorities often tend to be too self interested to consider the larger picture.

Quote:
- What do you think of the Christian holidays/culture in the U.S.?
I have no issues with people practicing their religion as long as they keep it out of the public sphere. Most of the Christian holidays have become so secularized and commercialized I don't consider most of them to even qualify as "religious" anymore.

Quote:
PS! Cultural Christian usually means that you mainly don't believe in God, the bible or anything, but still celebrate the Christian holidays, having church wedding, sometimes baptize your children etc. basically the Christian tradition and culture. Most Scandinavians and many Europeans are Cultural Christians...
Not believing in God or the bible is by definition "non-Christian," not "Cultural Christian." An atheist living in Scandinavia would no more be a "Cultural Christian" than a Christian living in Iran would be a "Cultural Muslim."

Old 01-29-2012, 12:53 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,961,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint-Catherine View Post
I never heard of any God that kills people. Nobody threatened anyone to go to hell or kill anybody. It's against the commandment.
Well the bible details a head count well over 2 million, and that's only for the event where figures were given. There is also a flood where god murdered all but a handful of people, so 99.9999% of what ever the planets population were murdered by one of gods little tantrums.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:48 AM

113 posts, read 130,259 times
I dont beleev in anykind of a god.How can I be anykind of a christian

- Does your family and nearest people know that you are non-believer? What was their reaction when you told them? I reckon my kinfolk know.They know I go my own way

- Is there, by any chance, you will ever convert to Christianity (but not necessary become religious)?No

- Why don't you just believe in God (Not be religious) and rather wait to see it's not true that God does not exist, rather than denying him now and not being 100% sure God does not exist. You never know.... after death anything could happen. Don't you rather be on the safer side?To me there is no god.I dont beleev in fairy tales ,no offense,but thats what it is to me.I dont beleev in Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny or a god.Its all the same to me.I beleev when you die,you die.Its over.

- What do you think of "IN GOD WE TRUST" as our motto, in our currency and pledge of the flag?Im a strong beleever of separation of church and state.I dont beleev there should be anything on public owned buildings or money or in our pledge to the flag or country representing anykind of religion.

- Do you feel that Christians control to much in our society, or do you respect that they are by far the majority, and therefore fair for them to control? Remember the U.S. has 247 million Christians (around 80%) of the population.It dont mean anything to me.

- What do you think of the Christian holidays/culture in the U.S.?I dont celebrate christian or anykind of religous holiday.I think religion is a free personal choice.You want religion go to church

PS! Cultural Christian usually means that you mainly don't believe in God, the bible or anything, but still celebrate the Christian holidays, having church wedding, sometimes baptize your children etc. basically the Christian tradition and culture. Most Scandinavians and many Europeans are Cultural Christians...

Take care.[/quote]

Old 02-01-2012, 07:20 PM

98 posts, read 127,491 times

I was raised with no religion, I am a third generation atheist. It has always seemed silly to me.

- Does your family and nearest people know that you are non-believer? What was their reaction when you told them?

I hope so, since I am honest about it. But I do have to keep quiet about it in society here so my children are not treated to "Christian Love" otherwise known as harassment, hatred, and bigotry.

- Is there, by any chance, you will ever convert to Christianity (but not necessary become religious)?

No, and converting is becoming religious??

- Why don't you just believe in God (Not be religious) and rather wait to see it's not true that God does not exist, rather than denying him now and not being 100% sure God does not exist. You never know.... after death anything could happen. Don't you rather be on the safer side?

That would be lying and that is against my morals.

- What do you think of "IN GOD WE TRUST" as our motto, in our currency and pledge of the flag?

I think it is silly and if believers need that type of boosting to keep them believing then they don't really have a firm foundation, do they?

- Do you feel that Christians control to much in our society, or do you respect that they are by far the majority, and therefore fair for them to control? Remember the U.S. has 247 million Christians (around 80%) of the population.

That they are e majority is a fact, respect doesn't enter into it. I respect people on an individual basis, not as a group. This country was not founded on majority rule so no.

That it has become pretty much secular. I enjoy Christmas and Easter because I was raised with celebrating them secularly. They are no different from the Fourth of July or Thanksgiving.

I don't think you are correct here. If you identify as Christian then you do believe in the bible. Only Christians would get their children baptized or have a church wedding, unless they are in hiding or are hypocrites.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:47 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,372,762 times
Exclamation OK: My answers. Your responses?

I only read the first post plus the next three or four. While this thread has the familiar odor of a troll because it asks the same rather rhetorical questions we atheists are subjected to about twice a month, I'll bite. Again. I dont know if the OP poster is even responding, but here goes, and I'm sure my answers mimic those of many other honest atheists here.

Quote:
I just have a question to Non-believers, but mainly Atheists. Please don't call me ignorant or troll... Atheism is very interesting to me.

By the way, you've asked a lot more than "a question"..

I was. But then I "converted" away from Christianity in my late teens when I studied the religion and what it wanted of me.

Yes. And they feel it's my business, not theirs.

No. Already been there, done that. Didn't work for me then, and won't now.

This is simply Pascal's silly Wager Argument. False on it's face, and a product of illogical and irrational fear-based thinking rather than a careful examination of the facts before us all .

Should not have been placed there in 1954. Illegal because it ignores our Constitution, but it was simply an over-reaction to the presumed threat of Communism.

Since it's illegal for any religion to be prominent in the US Constitution, any efforts by Christians to bias legislation with religious overtones will hopefully be met with a court order to desist. They still try of course, but it is also illegal.

Fine by me as long as the Christian culture also allows us to modify them to our own beliefs. They don't like that, and would like to force us into a false worship.

I am not. I'm a staunch believer in religious freedom, including freedom FROM religious hoaxes, forced worship and Christian's involvement in our public education system. As you, if you are Muslim ,should also be.

Take care.
I will. You too. And your response to the answers I've provided and the time I've personally taken here?

Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,372,762 times
Thumbs down As I suspected...

In 3 pages and over 9 days, not a single response from the OP's author Mamitas. This looks like his or her first post, at least under this name. Hmmm...

This is therefore a troll thread. The respondees here read like a who's-who of the regular atheist posters here, minus those with the good common sense to not have bothered.

I wonder if this author here saw this thread before posting his thread? Whats the point of trolling an atheist sub-forum?

Or this similar one by me? Why do Christians often open fire but then run for cover?

Apparently not, or they still do it anyways because it's in their church-guided master plan to Convert & Conquer? Most likely.

Maybe if we all protested, this poster could be banned, as he/she should be for starting something he had not the slightest interest in debaiting, (purposeful typo, btw...) other than to proselytize via rhetoric. Pascal's Wager indeed... haven't we kinda covered that blatantly stupid concept of late?

Bye now, troll.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 PM

3,404 posts, read 2,250,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

I wonder if this author here saw this thread before posting his thread? Whats the point of trolling an atheist sub-forum?

Or this similar one by me? Why do Christians often open fire but then run for cover?

Apparently not, or they still do it anyways because it's in their church-guided master plan to Convert & Conquer? Most likely.
I agree that this is one of a disappointing pattern of troll threads, but to be fair it predates the two threads you mention by a few days. I think this one was the opening salvo from the Jesus cannons...

It is a shame, because they do generate quite a few thoughtful responses that could lead to a good discussion, but the OP never seems to be interested in actually talking about what they learned.

NoCapo

Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,961,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

Bye now, troll.
Yep, think we can put the 'troll' banner on this one. 7 posts in an hour, and hasn't even snuck back for a peek at his handy work.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:16 AM

7,802 posts, read 5,280,365 times
Quote:
Because there is no reason to be.

Quote:
Yes - they care little.

Quote:
Of course. Or to Islam. Or to Hinduism. Or to anything that gives me sufficient cause to do so.

Quote:
- Why don't you just believe in God
Because there is no reason to.

Quote:
As an embarrassment to your country and to the world in that it is a declaration to the world that you are a country proud of believing things that there is no reason to believe.

Quote:
- Do you feel that Christians control to much in our society
I do not care what a Christian controls. I care how they use what they control and their reasons for using it in that way.

Quote:
Baseless but I have no real issue with it. We need holidays, if there were not religious ones we would find secular reasons to have them.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:20 AM

8,961 posts, read 6,498,214 times
Quote:
Baseless but I have no real issue with it. We need holidays, if there were not religious ones we would find secular reasons to have them.
I'm for National Science Day. Get rid of the phony Christmas holiday, please. That is the worst. I know, it will never happen, at least in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism