U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 AM

4,556 posts, read 5,402,261 times

Advertisements

Christians all over the country damned well better be praying that none of those threats are realized..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,938,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
You got that right.

Projection much? It doesn't bother me one bit. I actually said that I hope the school doesn't appeal it, just more money wasted in the courts.
If you'll notice, I copied your exact response and you see it as absurd. See how dumb it looks when you assume to know the emotions of people you've never met?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
She sounds like a smart and lively person. Stop assuming things.
Based on past experience, it's much easier for a true believer to think that anyone who disagrees with them is angry, hostile or otherwise mentally disturbed. It lets them ignore the actual reasons a person disagrees with them and instead pretend it's because there's something inherently wrong with everyone who doesn't follow their narrow path towards god. It doesn't do much to portray the love of Christ, but at least it prevents people from thinking too much about stuff they shouldn't and risk changing their mind.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I feel certain that the current rampant abuse of the establishment clause against any expression of belief in God will be curtailed.
Are you also worried about the rampant spread of alien infiltration in our military? If you're going to worry about things which aren't happening, why stop at mild conspiracy theories? Go all out and get really worried about things that aren't real.

In other words, there's no attempt at any level to stop all expressions of belief in god in this country. Stop pretending that removing prayers from schools prevents anyone from expressing their religious beliefs. Unless you can find a Bible verse that requires Christians to use the government to press their religious views on other people's unwilling children, this has nothing to do with freedom of religious expression.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 AM

705 posts, read 943,750 times
Quote:
It clearly indicates no such thing. That is YOUR interpretation of government action . . . but the prohibition is against government legislative action regarding religion.
I feel certain that the current rampant abuse of the establishment clause against any expression of belief in God will be curtailed. Pendulums have this tendency to swing to the farthest part of their arcs before returning.
What "rampant abuse of the establishment clause against any expression of belief in God" are you talking about. No one is trying to prevent any expression of belief in a god. The efforts being undertaken are in support of the Constitution.

The blatant disregard of the establishment clause is being done by the delusional types and the government entities that take any action not consistent with it.

You really need to read up on prevailing case law, you sound like an articulate, intelligent person, but you're diggin your hole deeper.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:55 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,747,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Based on past experience, it's much easier for a true believer to think that anyone who disagrees with them is angry, hostile or otherwise mentally disturbed. It lets them ignore the actual reasons a person disagrees with them and instead pretend it's because there's something inherently wrong with everyone who doesn't follow their narrow path towards god. It doesn't do much to portray the love of Christ, but at least it prevents people from thinking too much about stuff they shouldn't and risk changing their mind.
This is true. I experienced this first hand several years ago. I was having a conversation with a very religious social worker, and told him that I didn't believe in god. His first question was "why are you so angry"? Of course, I wasn't angry at all, and certainly not mentally disturbed.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:20 PM

1,639 posts, read 1,566,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
If you'll notice, I copied your exact response and you see it as absurd. See how dumb it looks when you assume to know the emotions of people you've never met?
No assuming needed. The fact that she actually went to court for something so trivial, is evidence enough. Nothing was accomplished. It was a waste of time and money. You can tell yourself that she was a victim and that she has won one for the country, but I'm not fooled by it. Oh and please stop talking about Christs love, you would probably spit on Him if He was in front of you.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,165,015 times
Quote:
No assuming needed. The fact that she actually went to court for something so trivial, is evidence enough. Nothing was accomplished. It was a waste of time and money. You can tell yourself that she was a victim and that she has won one for the country, but I'm not fooled by it. Oh and please stop talking about Christs love, you would probably spit on Him if He was in front of you.
Again, it was the school that decided to keep breaking the law and fight the case in court, instead of realizing that it was breaking the law and simply taking it down. They could have stopped this from ever reaching a court case by obeying the law.

Quit trying to skew the facts to make her the villain here; if there is a villain, it is the school for a)putting it up in the first place and b) not taking it down in a reasonable fashion when it was rightly pointed out that it was unconstitutional.

And she has won one for the country. It is admittedly a very, very minor win, but anytime the constitution is properly upheld, that is a victory for America.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:59 PM

7,945 posts, read 4,741,265 times
Quote:
The establishment clause has nothing to do with respecting religion . . . just making no laws respecting (i.e., regarding) religion and selecting one as the State religion.Freedom OF religion does not mean freedom FROM religion and what this girl feels or doesn't feel is irrelevant.
I'm guessing they didn't have the word "regarding" back then? Respecting means "Respecting".. and It always has. No laws about religion, no laws in spoilery of religion, no laws against religion, no laws in recognition of religion. SECULAR. The word "Respecting" was used because the Founding fathers were extremely educated about its various meanings... and the word fit their purpose perfectly. SECULAR. "Funding" is part of "Law making and implementing".
States were free to establish their own religions, until the 14 and 15th amendments bound State congresses to follow the National Amendments above their own. Freedom OF religion specifically means Freedom to be a Freethinker, Religious Atheist, Nihilist, Satanist, ect. Monotheism and prayer are part of sectarian religions. SECULARISM is about "doing not as the hypocrites do when they stand in the streets".

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 01-31-2012 at 11:09 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 11:06 PM

7,945 posts, read 4,741,265 times
Quote:
Oh and please stop talking about Christs love, you would probably spit on Him if He was in front of you.
And you wouldn't? I personally don't like people who offend me. Throwing tables around? calling people ignorant or stupid? Telling people to do vile weird things? I would most certainly have called the authorities on a madman like that. And If I was a deeply religious Jew, the more anger I would have shown. Gods can't be spit on. cult leaders are always despised by those who have rejected the cult. spiting on people is beastly behavior, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or