U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2012, 10:28 AM
 
5,462 posts, read 5,936,087 times
Reputation: 1804

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
No assuming needed. The fact that she actually went to court for something so trivial, is evidence enough. Nothing was accomplished. It was a waste of time and money. You can tell yourself that she was a victim and that she has won one for the country, but I'm not fooled by it. Oh and please stop talking about Christs love, you would probably spit on Him if He was in front of you.
Lots of baseless assumptions here, but thanks for sharing your opinion on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 AM
 
1,112 posts, read 1,024,827 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Again, it was the school that decided to keep breaking the law and fight the case in court, instead of realizing that it was breaking the law and simply taking it down. They could have stopped this from ever reaching a court case by obeying the law.

Quit trying to skew the facts to make her the villain here; if there is a villain, it is the school for a)putting it up in the first place and b) not taking it down in a reasonable fashion when it was rightly pointed out that it was unconstitutional.

And she has won one for the country. It is admittedly a very, very minor win, but anytime the constitution is properly upheld, that is a victory for America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 06:46 PM
 
98 posts, read 127,433 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
No assuming needed. The fact that she actually went to court for something so trivial, is evidence enough. Nothing was accomplished. It was a waste of time and money. You can tell yourself that she was a victim and that she has won one for the country, but I'm not fooled by it. Oh and please stop talking about Christs love, you would probably spit on Him if He was in front of you.
A school, who is supposed to be teaching children about history, civil rights, and the laws of the land but is instead breaking the law, is not trivial. It teaches that it is ok to break the law as long as the stronger majority is ok with it, which goes against everything this country stands for. It certainly isn't trivial. Just because you think it's trivial doesn't mean every else does or that the government does.

Something was accomplished, it is no longer being displayed. And the children get to see not only our laws and courts in action but the evidence that one person can make a difference. I certainly wouldn't call that trivial or 'nothing accomplished'. I also don't see her as a victim but as a crusader and a fine young woman who is standing up for her rights even if it means she will be scared and unable to lead her life in peace and safety. If a Christian kid was doing the same thing she would be lauded instead of villianized.

All the school had to do was admit they were breaking the law and spend a few dollars on some paint. No attention to the girl, no controversy, no money spent on going to court. The school caused all the subsequent actions, not her. And they should be ashamed that they continued this and caused her to be threatened and fear for her safety....is that what we want to teach the children in this country? That it is ok to break the law, even though the whole concept of a school is to not only follow the rules but to obey the law they teach in their mandatory Government classes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 PM
 
16,083 posts, read 17,880,433 times
Reputation: 15879
All those Christians would be pretty annoyed if someone put this on a banner and donated it to the school

'"O Allah, I ask You to show me what is best, through Your knowledge, and I ask You to empower me, through Your power, and I beg You to grant me Your tremendous favor, for You have power, while I am without power, and You have knowledge, while I am without knowledge, and You are the One who knows all things invisible.

Or this native American Prayer
Oh Great Spirit,
Whose voice I hear in the wind,
Whose breath gives life to the world,
Hear me!
I come to you as one of your many children.
I am small and weak.
I need your strength and wisdom.
May I walk in beauty.
Make my eyes behold the red and purple sunset.
Make my hands respect the things that you have made,
And my ears sharp to hear your voice.
Make me wise so that I may know the things
That you have taught your children--
The lessons that you have hidden in every leaf and rock.
Make me strong, not to be superior to my brothers, but to be
able to fight my greatest enemy: myself.
Make me ever ready to come to you with straight eyes, so that
When life fades as the faded sunset
My spirit will come to you without shame.

Or this Hindu prayer

Mother who subsists as all three Kalas, in all three Lokas, and all three Gunas, I pray to you to illuminate my intellect and dispel my ignorance, just as the splendorous sunlight dispels all darkness. I pray to you to make my intellect serene and bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 PM
 
1,639 posts, read 1,565,313 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
thanks for sharing your opinion on the matter.
Anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 09:47 PM
 
1,639 posts, read 1,565,313 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackalackish View Post
, it is no longer being displayed.
And what did that accomplish? Do you really think it made that big of a difference, whether it was displayed or not?

I read the prayer and I can not see it as offensive. It was actually positive,...something this world needs more of. The only thing that it accomplished was division.

If it inspires you in some odd way, then I say I am happy for you. Unfortunately, this poor kid is being threatened and I will pray that no harm comes upon her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 09:49 PM
 
1,639 posts, read 1,565,313 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
All those Christians would be pretty annoyed if someone put this on a banner and donated it to the school

'"O Allah, I ask You to show me what is best, through Your knowledge, and I ask You to empower me, through Your power, and I beg You to grant me Your tremendous favor, for You have power, while I am without power, and You have knowledge, while I am without knowledge, and You are the One who knows all things invisible.

Or this native American Prayer
Oh Great Spirit,
Whose voice I hear in the wind,
Whose breath gives life to the world,
Hear me!
I come to you as one of your many children.
I am small and weak.
I need your strength and wisdom.
May I walk in beauty.
Make my eyes behold the red and purple sunset.
Make my hands respect the things that you have made,
And my ears sharp to hear your voice.
Make me wise so that I may know the things
That you have taught your children--
The lessons that you have hidden in every leaf and rock.
Make me strong, not to be superior to my brothers, but to be
able to fight my greatest enemy: myself.
Make me ever ready to come to you with straight eyes, so that
When life fades as the faded sunset
My spirit will come to you without shame.

Or this Hindu prayer

Mother who subsists as all three Kalas, in all three Lokas, and all three Gunas, I pray to you to illuminate my intellect and dispel my ignorance, just as the splendorous sunlight dispels all darkness. I pray to you to make my intellect serene and bright.
I can't speak for everyone, but I really wouldn't care what kind of prayer it was. It would show diversity, something this great nation was built on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
1,807 posts, read 2,164,075 times
Reputation: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
And what did that accomplish? Do you really think it made that big of a difference, whether it was displayed or not?
Well, it did succeed in getting people around the country to talk about it - and anything that can serve to remind people about what America great is a good thing, especially in these divisive times. So for that I thank her.

Quote:
If it inspires you in some odd way, then I say I am happy for you. Unfortunately, this poor kid is being threatened and I will pray that no harm comes upon her.
Too bad there are so many bad Christian Americans where she lives.

And instead of just praying for her, maybe you can take an active role? Help show your Christian brethren that she is simply attempting to do the right thing, that there's no reason to be hateful, and that they need to quit being so awful about a girl simply standing up for America (no matter how small).

If we could all do that, then we wouldn't have to pray for her safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
1,807 posts, read 2,164,075 times
Reputation: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
I can't speak for everyone, but I really wouldn't care what kind of prayer it was. It would show diversity, something this great nation was built on.
Agreed, and good for you for not giving a hoot about what kind of prayer might go up. It is good to appreciate diversity, so high five on that.

But any prayer is a prayer, and as such has no right to be displayed in a public school. That is another idea this great nation was built on, one that you seem more than willing to jettison as long as it doesn't ruffle any feathers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 10:32 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 2,746,107 times
Reputation: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
And what did that accomplish? Do you really think it made that big of a difference, whether it was displayed or not?
If it didn't make a difference, why did the school take it to court? They could have just removed it and saved everyone a lot of time, trouble, and expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top