U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
1,807 posts, read 2,167,795 times
Reputation: 970

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It is a sign of intolerance or at least a sign of extreme insecurity. I suspect she was indoctrinated or even encouraged to do this. Furthermore, the words seemed quite harmless.

Other than Our father the whole thing is not religious at all.




This is simply a very anal person that was encouraged to do this. Or perhaps she simply wanted her 15 minutes of fame. This sort of thing is a waste of time and money for all involved . At some point the militant extreme atheists need to understand that religion can be part of secular culture. Even Dawkins sings Xmas Carols.
Then they can rewrite it without the heavenly father parts, and everyone can be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2012, 12:13 PM
 
Location: NW NJ & SE Oahu
4,568 posts, read 5,412,459 times
Reputation: 4154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
"[G]rant us each day the desire to do our best, to grow mentally and morally as well as physically, to be kind and helpful."
Why would anyone actually need any outside influence to desire such basic things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2012, 12:15 PM
 
4,994 posts, read 5,074,345 times
Reputation: 6340
BTW, what happen to "Aramaic Bible in Plain English (2010)
But you, when you pray, enter into your closet and lock your door, and pray to your father who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will reward you in public."

Christian Moral Relativism and verse picking effectively override the Bible, there is no point to the Bible if you make your own rules and wrap them in layers of theological diarrhea. Showing off your delusions in public (a MUST) and barbarity (threats to 16y.o., geez) don't even have foundations in Holy Book (taken seriously). It's not about Christianity, it's about generally religious mindset that always go public to seek confirmation of its delusions in the numbers of the converted and silenced. As a rule, first believers (no matter how twisted) have genuine faith and they don't care about public displays and acceptance. Subsequent generations just need some higher power backing their worldly desires, wealth & status while securing a cozy place in eternity. American Christians are just shining example of degeneration of faith into worldly auxiliary of wealth & status accumulating kind. Pledge allegiance to Jesus (preferably in public), hang 10 commandments in a Courthouse and collect rewards, here and there. Every and each verse you don't like be damned and optional, Jesus want you to be comfortable all way around. By harassing 16 y.o. you show your Deity that you hold up your side of a deal. By showing off your religiosity in public you show others that you are a member of the cult to be treated preferentially unlike those evil 16y.o..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2012, 02:49 PM
 
410 posts, read 646,576 times
Reputation: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It is a sign of intolerance or at least a sign of extreme insecurity. I suspect she was indoctrinated or even encouraged to do this. Furthermore, the words seemed quite harmless.

Other than Our father the whole thing is not religious at all.

This is simply a very anal person that was encouraged to do this. Or perhaps she simply wanted her 15 minutes of fame. This sort of thing is a waste of time and money for all involved . At some point the militant extreme atheists need to understand that religion can be part of secular culture. Even Dawkins sings Xmas Carols.
They wouldn't have had to waste time and money if the school hadn't violated her rights under the First Amendment of the Constitution. What is the constitution for if we can pick and choose when to abide by it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2012, 04:41 PM
 
9,888 posts, read 6,758,389 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Why would anyone actually need any outside influence to desire such basic things?



May the force be with you Luke.

Get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2012, 04:45 PM
 
9,888 posts, read 6,758,389 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
They wouldn't have had to waste time and money if the school hadn't violated her rights under the First Amendment of the Constitution. What is the constitution for if we can pick and choose when to abide by it?

I think it is insecurity and the fact that Atheists are a minority. And minorities are sensitive.

European Atheists would never complain about this because over there they are not the minority.

It may also be the "ship on my shoulder syndrome" which is also a sign of insecurity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 2,751,617 times
Reputation: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I think it is insecurity and the fact that Atheists are a minority. And minorities are sensitive.

European Atheists would never complain about this because over there they are not the minority.

It may also be the "ship on my shoulder syndrome" which is also a sign of insecurity.
Over here atheists are considered, at best, second class citizens. Even a former president said as much:

"I don't know that Atheists should be considered as patriots, nor should they be considered as Citizens."
--President George H.W. Bush

And so when even our rulers says such things, it tends to make us a bit uneasy. When our children are attacked for their lack of belief, that makes us not only uneasy, but angry as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 PM
 
9,888 posts, read 6,758,389 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Over here atheists are considered, at best, second class citizens. Even a former president said as much:

"I don't know that Atheists should be considered as patriots, nor should they be considered as Citizens."
--President George H.W. Bush

And so when even our rulers says such things, it tends to make us a bit uneasy. When our children are attacked for their lack of belief, that makes us not only uneasy, but angry as well.
If atheists were majority and freely accepted the sign on the wall would be moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 PM
 
Location: NW NJ & SE Oahu
4,568 posts, read 5,412,459 times
Reputation: 4154
Atheists aren't a minority, it's just that most of them would [quite wisely actually, in a lot of cases] rather not admit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 PM
 
9,888 posts, read 6,758,389 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Atheists aren't a minority, it's just that most of them would [quite wisely actually, in a lot of cases] rather not admit it.
How do you explain the hypersensitvity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top