Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Not at all. The religious belief system of other people do not bother me. I am reminded of how the European Atheists are not anal about religion and even send their kids to Christian schools. This lack of intolerance by some American Atheists is puzzling and in fact similar to the intolerance of bible fundamentalists. That is quite ironic .
For the simple reason they don't have to deal with the average American fundy bible thumper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 08:57 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,109,209 times
Quote:
How do you explain the hypersensitvity?
Whose?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Whose?
I am talking about the sensitivity of the Atheist teenager. She could have done as you do: "Atheists aren't a minority, it's just that most of them would [quite wisely actually, in a lot of cases] rather not admit it."

However, I will admit her actions bring attention to the fact that some folks are ignorant about atheism. For many ignorant people it is very negative to be considered an atheist.

In any event I don't mind atheism at all unless they try to impose their views on others for no apparent good reason. I am not certain this school banner was a big deal. This is not exactly forcing the teen to pray.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:53 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
For the simple reason they don't have to deal with the average American fundy bible thumper.
This^ I don't understand. What do you mean "deal with" the Bible thumpers? Before I became a believer, I never had any of these people you speak of try to bother or harass me in any way.

This doesn't mean that "they" don't exist, but in my whole life it has never happened to me. Only the occasional JW's and Mormons that go door to door, but that never bothered me, they were always nice.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
This^ I don't understand. What do you mean "deal with" the Bible thumpers? Before I became a believer, I never had any of these people you speak of try to bother or harass me in any way.

This doesn't mean that "they" don't exist, but in my whole life it has never happened to me. Only the occasional JW's and Mormons that go door to door, but that never bothered me, they were always nice.
Oh stuff like the systemic legislation the bigotry of bronze age ignorance upon all of society. Prop 8 in CA is one example, the fact that at least 2 states (NC and MN) have propositions on this springs ballot to make the ignorant base hatred of ancient superstitions law by amending the constitution of these states, to name a few......

Or a President of the United States that shows the utter ignorance and pure religious hatred with comments like;" I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

Old 02-07-2012, 06:29 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
"[G]rant us each day the desire to do our best, to grow mentally and morally as well as physically, to be kind and helpful."

This is what they're taking down?
That plus all of the references to a Christian god.

A lie of omission is still a lie. Stop lying.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I think it is insecurity and the fact that Atheists are a minority. And minorities are sensitive.

European Atheists would never complain about this because over there they are not the minority.
That and the US Constitution doesn't apply to other countries. But don't let minor legal facts like that get in the way of a perfectly good rant against a minority you disapprove of.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I am talking about the sensitivity of the Atheist teenager. She could have done as you do: "Atheists aren't a minority, it's just that most of them would [quite wisely actually, in a lot of cases] rather not admit it."

However, I will admit her actions bring attention to the fact that some folks are ignorant about atheism. For many ignorant people it is very negative to be considered an atheist.

In any event I don't mind atheism at all unless they try to impose their views on others for no apparent good reason. I am not certain this school banner was a big deal. This is not exactly forcing the teen to pray.
I thought this post was supposed to explain how asking a group to follow the law qualified as hypersensitivity. Oh well, nice try at deflecting I guess.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:55 AM

410 posts, read 742,904 times
Quote:
How do you explain the hypersensitvity?
How to you explain the hypersensitivity of the people who are clearly so offended that the prayer had to be removed that they feel the need to attack a young girl and insult a whole group of people because she stood up for her rights?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
How to you explain the hypersensitivity of the people who are clearly so offended that the prayer had to be removed that they feel the need to attack a young girl and insult a whole group of people because she stood up for her rights?
Both groups on opposite ends of the spectrum are sensitive and anal. It works both ways.

Is the same as being a rabid left winger or a rabid right winger. I prefer moderates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism