U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:20 AM

410 posts, read 646,289 times

Advertisements

Some people are clearly missing the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:44 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,409,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I am talking about the sensitivity of the Atheist teenager. She could have done as you do: "Atheists aren't a minority, it's just that most of them would [quite wisely actually, in a lot of cases] rather not admit it."
I don't think she's any more "hypersensitive" than the theists who are threatening to kill her.

I've never hid my lack of belief.... as a ten year old, I used to get uncontrollable fits of giggles in Sunday school being forced to listening to all those ridiculous fables and then somehow comment on them..."Comment? On THAT?! MMMMMPHFFFf!!!"

It really was getting to be a problem.
-
Anyway, I was referring to my parents, relatives and the ~90% of the other church goers [who. like us, eventually dropped out]. My 92-year-old mother recently said, "Oh the whole damned thing's nothing but fairy tales!".

Church, especially christmas pageants, could be nice at times, but they were really nothing more than social events.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:02 AM

1,745 posts, read 1,886,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I think it is insecurity and the fact that Atheists are a minority. And minorities are sensitive.

European Atheists would never complain about this because over there they are not the minority.

It may also be the "ship on my shoulder syndrome" which is also a sign of insecurity.
Why do you believe atheists are the only ones who find these continued flagrant violations of our Constitution by Christians offensive? What makes you think it is "insecurity" to ask that our nations laws and principles be upheld?
I am a Deist (like our Founding Fathers) and fully support this girl's actions.
And no, I don't have a "ship" on my shoulder...

Last edited by QuixoticHobbit; 02-07-2012 at 09:01 AM..

Old 02-07-2012, 05:06 PM

16,105 posts, read 17,923,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
This^ I don't understand. What do you mean "deal with" the Bible thumpers? Before I became a believer, I never had any of these people you speak of try to bother or harass me in any way.

This doesn't mean that "they" don't exist, but in my whole life it has never happened to me. Only the occasional JW's and Mormons that go door to door, but that never bothered me, they were always nice.
Let's see. When I lived in the north, I never had to deal with this. In Texas, you bet.

My granddaughter and her mother have been told they are going to hell. When we first moved here, the xtians decided to have a prayer meeting at the bus stop (aimed at my 5 year old granddaughter because they knew her mom was a Hindu and her dad was an atheist).

My granddaughter went to church with her best friend (for the fellowship) and the peer pressure was such that she went to the altar and her mom and dad got a letter saying *isn't it great that she has accepted Jesus?* Note that she really had no idea what was going on as she has asperger's syndrome (which these people knew) and she was 8 years old at the time.

If my granddaughter was to tell her best friend that she did not believe, she would be ostracized by his family.

So yeah, we have to deal with these folks here all the time.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 AM

705 posts, read 944,398 times
Another example of how great god and religion is;

"Unorthodox:" A Woman's Journey from Repression to Freedom | Love + Sex - Yahoo! Shine

Old 02-18-2012, 09:08 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,674,457 times
Default Rhode Island public school agrees to remove prayer

Rhode Island public school agrees to remove prayer | Reuters

Old 02-24-2012, 01:02 PM

159 posts, read 265,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I'm no spring chicken, but remind us what the "old fashioned way" entails.

I for one hope there are repurcussions from this court action. I for one hope that religious folk start accepting the law and stop thinking they are special and above it. That said, I'm not holding my breath.
How is is that it took nearly 5 decades for someone to complain? That at one point this prayer could be hung without any major opposition? I have to deal with athiests postings at my school that I don't agree with, why can't a prayer hang in an auditorium like it has been since 1963 until recently? If you don't believe the prayer, does it hurt you that it's there?

Old 02-24-2012, 02:05 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,130,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman29 View Post
How is is that it took nearly 5 decades for someone to complain? That at one point this prayer could be hung without any major opposition? I have to deal with athiests postings at my school that I don't agree with, why can't a prayer hang in an auditorium like it has been since 1963 until recently? If you don't believe the prayer, does it hurt you that it's there?
Because a 50 year old injustice is still an injustice. What atheist postings do you have to deal with at school. If you feel you have a lawsuit, do what this brave young girl did. Sue. I can almost guarantee you that no atheist will threaten your life for doing so. Too bad this girl can't say the same.

Since the thread is about the threats to her life, do you agree that's okay, or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or