U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Astoria, NY
3,053 posts, read 3,595,553 times
Reputation: 2475

Advertisements

That'll bring her to God. Threats to her physical safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:55 PM
 
705 posts, read 943,421 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
This court case is not about freedom from religion. It is about the establishment clause. The supreme court has ruled in several cases on this issue:

McCollum v. Board of Education Dist. 71 | The Oyez Project at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law

Engel v. Vitale | The Oyez Project at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law
Also see
lemon v kurtzman

FindLaw | Cases and Codes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:55 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 2,746,107 times
Reputation: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Sounds like a disturbed little girl. I can't imagine what kind of home life she has. If an object that could easily be avoided by not looking at it, can cause such emotional distress, I think there are deeper issues at hand. So much for a free country any more. Same goes for if any religion wants to make a prayer as a gift, there should not be such an uproar about displaying it. People will find any excuse to complain though. The threats are a bit ridiculous to.
It could also be easily avoided by the schools obeying the letter of the law. No one is impeding your right to worship to your heart's content. There are thousands upon thousands of churches, temples, and mosques in this country. Choose one and pray your life away and stop trying to force others who want no part in it to be your captive audiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:56 PM
 
705 posts, read 943,421 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
That'll bring her to God. Threats to her physical safety.
Yeah, doncha just love those "godly" people, jeez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 PM
 
1,639 posts, read 1,565,313 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
That'll bring her to God. Threats to her physical safety.
Agreed. The biggest threat to Christianity is not atheists or other religions, it is the ignoramuses that claim to be Christian and do the exact opposite of what Christ would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 PM
 
705 posts, read 943,421 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Sounds like a disturbed little girl. I can't imagine what kind of home life she has. If an object that could easily be avoided by not looking at it, can cause such emotional distress, I think there are deeper issues at hand. So much for a free country any more. Same goes for if any religion wants to make a prayer as a gift, there should not be such an uproar about displaying it. People will find any excuse to complain though. The threats are a bit ridiculous to.
Disturbed little girl, how 'bout all the disturbed morons threatening her, and how 'bout all the disturbed delusional types that don't know how to read the Constitution. The only disturbed people are the ones who have an imaginary friend in the sky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:01 PM
 
1,639 posts, read 1,565,313 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
It could also be easily avoided by the schools obeying the letter of the law. No one is impeding your right to worship to your heart's content. There are thousands upon thousands of churches, temples, and mosques in this country. Choose one and pray your life away and stop trying to force others who want no part in it to be your captive audiences.
Nothing was forced on her. Now if she was made to recite said prayer, then I would agree with the lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:04 PM
 
1,639 posts, read 1,565,313 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Disturbed little girl, how 'bout all the disturbed morons threatening her, and how 'bout all the disturbed delusional types that don't know how to read the Constitution. The only disturbed people are the ones who have an imaginary friend in the sky.
I agree that the ones issuing the threats are disturbed as well. The prayer hanging in a school is in no way against the constitution. If anything preventing the freedom of displaying said prayer, is in violation of the constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:05 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 2,746,107 times
Reputation: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Nothing was forced on her. Now if she was made to recite said prayer, then I would agree with the lawsuit.
It is very clear that the posting of that religious slogan on the grounds of a public school is a violation of the 1st amendment. The district court has ruled in this case. Whether or not the school system there appeals has yet to be seen, but I have no doubt that if they appeal, they will lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 02:07 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 2,746,107 times
Reputation: 3318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
I agree that the ones issuing the threats are disturbed as well. The prayer hanging in a school is in no way against the constitution. If anything preventing the freedom of displaying said prayer, is in violation of the constitution.
Absolutely it is a violation of the Constitution. The public school is supported with taxpayer money, and is a government institution. You really should read the case laws on this issue. There is nothing ambiguous about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top