U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:14 PM

410 posts, read 645,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Sounds like a disturbed little girl. I can't imagine what kind of home life she has. If an object that could easily be avoided by not looking at it, can cause such emotional distress, I think there are deeper issues at hand. So much for a free country any more. Same goes for if any religion wants to make a prayer as a gift, there should not be such an uproar about displaying it. People will find any excuse to complain though. The threats are a bit ridiculous to.
It sounds like her parents have taught her to think for herself and stand up for her rights. How is that disturbing?

To me she seems incredibly astute for someone her age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 02:24 PM

1,639 posts, read 1,566,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
How is that disturbing?

To me she seems incredibly astute for someone her age.
If the beliefs of someone else cause her to be so emotionally disturbed, then she sounds like she is emotionally unstable. Astute you say? More like a future ambulance chasing lawyer.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:26 PM

30,884 posts, read 31,769,092 times
Quote:
If the beliefs of someone else cause her to be so emotionally disturbed, then she sounds like she is emotionally unstable. Astute you say? More like a future ambulance chasing lawyer.
It is the attitude of people like you that I find the most disturbing.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It is the attitude of people like you that I find the most disturbing.
What?an attitude of tolerance? If I was working at a government building and a Muslim or any other religion wanted to make a prayer and present it as a gift to be hung in the halls, I could care less. Oh well, in any case I hope the school doesn't appeal it. What a waste of money.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:36 PM

705 posts, read 943,836 times
Quote:
I agree that the ones issuing the threats are disturbed as well. The prayer hanging in a school is in no way against the constitution. If anything preventing the freedom of displaying said prayer, is in violation of the constitution.
Are you kidding me???????????? A public school is a public building, that means it is government property. It most certainly IS unconstitutional to display anything religious in any government building. Read up on prevailing case law and read the consitution.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 PM

I am actually surprised that usually logical thinking atheists don't see this as a pointless lawsuit.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:42 PM

705 posts, read 943,836 times
Quote:
I am actually surprised that usually logical thinking atheists don't see this as a pointless lawsuit.
Well, there most certainly is a point. We have a Constitution, it should be upheld and adhered to. If there is a violation somewhere and a citizen requests that it be corrected then we have methods to remedy it. This girl, with the assistance of the ACLU say fit to remedy a condition that was clearly a violation of our Constitution. That's the point.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:43 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,747,811 times
Quote:
Right. According to you, protecting the Constitution of the United States is a pointless lawsuit. Pitiful.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:44 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,884,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Times have changed so much from when I was young. No one ever "went to court" in those days and differences were settled in the old fashioned way, person to person. It's funny how people don't think there will be any repercussions from court action, and if the law is "on their side" they are immune to consequences. It's a real shame that adults with agendas used this young girl as a proxy to fight their battle for them, and to take the heat for them.

"Adults with agendas" founded this country as a secular nation, with separation of church and state.

Too bad that those with selfish, theocratic agendas don't understand the concept and how important it is to freedom and democracy.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:45 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,884,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is no right to freedom FROM religion . . . only freedom OF religion.
They are one and the same. You cannot have one without the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or