U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:44 PM

4,891 posts, read 3,980,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Back in 1979, our daughter was in a pre-school program at a church and I became curious about religion. I asked the pastor at the church a few questions and my wife and I went to a couple Sunday services, but it didn't do anything for me, so we didn't go back.

Haven't been a church since, except for the historic ones. The little church in St. Augustine sure is beautiful.
YES it is, the one on the square (episcopal) and the Greek Orthodix shrine down the tourist street is too

We went in the one in downtown Nassau last summer, (The anglican one) .... not for a service but there was a priest standing inside the door and we said hi and asked if we could look around and he said "Yes please come in" Very nice old church, beautiful windows especially

I go strictly for the asthetic. As Keats said "Beauty is truth, truth beauty.
That is all you know on earth and all you need to know>"

That is more true than anything between Genesis and revelations I have ever read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 04:45 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,178,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Out of curiosity and a sense of fairness, I recently to a church service. First time in a great many years.

I was interested in finding out if the method of delivering the message had changed over the years, evolved.

It may have been the church that I went to but I found the experience to be even less inspiring than I did in my youth.

At least the ceiling did not fall in when I entered.

Has anyone else had this type of experience and how did you find it?
I haven't been to church in a while. I keep thinking I should get back there. The church I was attending seemed to change the delivery of "the message" depending on who was preaching that day.

What was depressing? What type of sermon was it? Fire and Brimstone, or something different?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,263,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I haven't been to church in a while. I keep thinking I should get back there. The church I was attending seemed to change the delivery of "the message" depending on who was preaching that day.

What was depressing? What type of sermon was it? Fire and Brimstone, or something different?

Who said it was depressing? The major thing that I cam away with was the irrelevance of the whole situation.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:10 AM

9,010 posts, read 8,436,790 times
I went to a few churches last summer during a vacation in Italy. I did not go to mass, but rather simply to view the art and architecture.

The buildings are often amazing, with wonderful stonework, stained glass, etc. What struck me was the immense amount of labor that must have gone into these structures, at a time before mechanization. Simply quarrying the stone and marble, transporting, shaping, carving and placing the pieces must have taken millions of man hours. All during a time when most people had to grow their own food.

Think of what could have been done if that labor had been redirected to something useful. A hospital or school perhaps. An aqueduct for clean water. Better housing.

I was struck by the evil of the church, directing people's labor away from things that helped mankind towards things that are pretty, but ultimately useless.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:13 AM

3,881 posts, read 7,313,847 times
I have never enjoyed or liked being in a church, especially as a child.

Everything about it makes me cringe: the organs, the hymns, all the old people, the bible verses, the preaching, the music, even the building itself, the pews and those damn stain-glass windows, all give me the heebie jeebies.

The preaching was the worst. All the yabber for absolutely nothing. NEver heard a sermon that made me feel anything but frustrated and shaking my head. What nonsense!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:33 PM

705 posts, read 944,398 times
My 3 year old granddaughter goes to a pre-school at a baptist church, I go there for programs and such, but I don't go for any services, never will.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:47 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,314,808 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity and a sense of fairness, I recently to a church service. First time in a great many years.

I was interested in finding out if the method of delivering the message had changed over the years, evolved.

It may have been the church that I went to but I found the experience to be even less inspiring than I did in my youth.

At least the ceiling did not fall in when I entered.

Has anyone else had this type of experience and how did you find it?
Like Djuna, I can appreciate the architecture and the historic value of a church building. When I travel, I enjoy checking out the old or historic churches. Some of my favorites include [URL="http://www.westminster-abbey.org/home"]Westminster Abbey[/URL], [URL="http://www.notredamedeparis.fr/-English-"]Notre Dame[/URL], the [URL="http://www.nationalshrine.com/site/c.osJRKVPBJnH/b.4719297/k.BF65/Home.htm"]National Shrine[/URL], and, because I've read all of Anne Rice's vampire books, [URL="http://stlouiscathedral.org/"]St. Louis Cathedral[/URL].

But when I go to weddings, baptisms, and funeral masses, I remain detached. If anything, what goes through my head is, "This all sounds so SILLY now," especially for baptisms.

So much for 12 years of Catholic school.

I think the only services I could listen to with interest would be Unitarian-Universalist ones. Those services are not very religulous, at least in the congregations I've seen. There is [URL="http://www.uua.org/beliefs/welcome/index.shtml"]no creed or dogma[/URL]. I actually "converted" to UU when I was 35.

Last edited by Yzette; 02-17-2012 at 12:56 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 01:06 PM

6 posts, read 17,579 times
To hear God you need to stop listening with your mind.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:11 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,178,007 times
Quote:
[/b]

Who said it was depressing? The major thing that I cam away with was the irrelevance of the whole situation.

oops. I think I might have read "less inspiring" as "depressing". Not sure how I did that, but I guess that's what happened. Sorry!

Old 02-17-2012, 05:34 PM

10,946 posts, read 8,263,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
oops. I think I might have read "less inspiring" as "depressing". Not sure how I did that, but I guess that's what happened. Sorry!
Not a problem. We all have those kinds of moments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism