U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:10 PM

4,883 posts, read 3,973,523 times

Advertisements

I went at Chiristmas eve. The old lady was complaining that I rail against religion all year then when they do some songs I like and have some ceremony I like, I go.
I said YES At least I am not a Hypocrit! I own up to how I feel.
Which means by my count I won't go back until Dec 24th 2012 UNLESS Someone has a good photo op and needs my help !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 AM

595 posts, read 739,677 times
A church building is well a building but when two or more are gathered its tranformed into a place of fellowship where God dwells. (Isn;t THAT special!!) . A few questions arrise (perhaps only by me) 1. are you entering a place of religion or a place that is focused primarily on a direct relationship with Jesus? 2. Is there just ceremony and mombo jumbo or is it a place where a tieless leader (who hates being call pastor) gives a teaching that brings you to tears and if not
a wow moment where the message hits home? 3. Is the church your entering have a worship service where the music is a mix of blowing your mind or soft and inspiring ? Anyway, usually non denomination christian fellowships offer the feeling of belonging although many denominationas are also good food (contingent on the leadership and delivery or content). I 'm in a dynamic church and the leader is a breathtaking articulate person who is the best speaker and deliverer of the word I have evern heard, so there is a challenge to those bored with la la land fellowships, empty dogma,stuffy people caught up in a traditional format that reaks of religion and quasi-pagan ceremony that once dissected has nothing scriptural attached to it. Go for it ,but don't over analyze people, but listen to the message. Try a group bible study and bail out if your not spiritually fed. Find a home their out there.

In Yesuha,

Das

Old 02-19-2012, 08:22 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,254,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
A church building is well a building but when two or more are gathered its tranformed into a place of fellowship where God dwells.
It sounds to me as if you are saying that there is no church for one person. This god doesn't show up for only one.

Is that what you are saying?

Old 02-20-2012, 07:19 PM

439 posts, read 818,883 times
I go with my hubby because I figure I can give up an hour a week to make him happy. But I get nothing out of it.
Last weekend I was bored enough that I actually dozed off, which I have never done before in public!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:48 PM

4,999 posts, read 3,883,236 times
Wow, didn't even know this forum existed. Anyway, the last time I went to church was 5 years ago for a memorial for a co-worker that passed. It was a catholic church and completely creeped me out. The gregorian chanting, the old men dressed like wizards carrying lanterns with smoke doing that strange wave thing as they walked in. The congregation standing, kneeling and sitting at what seemed like random intervals while I just stayed seated and then communion. Everybody kind of looked at me when I turned it down but I had no intention of kneeling in front of a guy dressed like a wizard and letting him put a cracker on my tounge. I guess people that are accustomed to this see it as normal. I'm still creeped out to this day knowing that people do this weekly. I felt so relieved that I was an atheist and could see through the pageantry of it all. I haven't set foot in a church since and have no plans of ever entering another.

As others have stated, the building was incredible.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 PM

16,891 posts, read 8,607,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I assume your line about the ceiling not falling down was a joke, but I caution you that that kind of joke would only make sense if there were a god in existence watching who enters the church. It doesn't make sense for an atheist to make a joke like that.
Could he be kicked out of the club?

Last edited by saltine; 02-22-2012 at 07:06 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 11:36 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,854,403 times
I've been to some church events a few times over the last few years, but not an actual service where we get to hear a sermon.

I have had my television on channels that air local church sermons on some mornings. It usually only last until I can be bothered to get up off the couch to find the remote and change the channel.

I feel infuriated and dumbfounded at the same listening to some screaming blabbermouth as he drools and sweats all over the place. How can anyone actually believe this stuff or take it seriously?

My reaction to it seems to be worse now than what it was when I was a kid.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:34 PM

3,552 posts, read 6,172,629 times
I went with my husband and his family a few times (Easter, Christmas Mass etc) when we were first dating and first married as I didn't want them to know I was Athiest. I found myself rolling my eyes WAY too much, zoning out a few times and embarassed for the people around me during times like "peace be with you" hand shakes. I feined sickness after the 3rd time or so and sat out the rest of the holy family bonding times. Infact I found it enlightening that the same feelings I had as a child of 8 or 9 i still had at the age of 24 .. My great mind of 9 and 24 still thought alike

More recently in the last 3 years I went to a full Catholic Wedding.. What a treat that was. Since when should I have to attend mass to see one get married.... The priest was drunk however and kept rambling about burgers and key west I can't remember now because I was THAT interested. Infact I tuned out the whole wedding it was a complete turn off after having to sit through and I kid you not 2 hour mass BEFORE the wedding ceremony even started. I can't say I'm an advocate for suicide but I might have said "f*** it why not" to a game of russian roulette at that point.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:17 PM

3,193 posts, read 4,845,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I was struck by the evil of the church, directing people's labor away from things that helped mankind towards things that are pretty, but ultimately useless.
This is fascinating. So poetry, literature, art, music... all useless, and evil, since the effort used to produce them did not materially help anybody. Let's just drive a stake through the heart of civilization and call it a day.

This thread reminds me of when I once went to a meeting of atheists during my questioning years. It was more oppressive, dogmatic, and boring than anything I'd ever experienced in a church.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:39 PM

10,946 posts, read 8,254,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
This is fascinating. So poetry, literature, art, music... all useless, and evil, since the effort used to produce them did not materially help anybody. Let's just drive a stake through the heart of civilization and call it a day.

This thread reminds me of when I once went to a meeting of atheists during my questioning years. It was more oppressive, dogmatic, and boring than anything I'd ever experienced in a church.
Who said anything about poetry, literature, art and music all being useless?

Are you claiming that these only came into being because of religion?

If so, an extremely myopic view of the world.

As for your second statement, it appears you attended with a pre-conceived point of view and looked for instances to bolster it.

That, or you've never been to church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism