U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,883,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Sure the joke makes sense. Some of my religious friends have told me, with apparent serious conviction, that their god rewards and punishes by his own standards.

The roof not falling in is just one more piece of evidence that he does not exist. I certainly have not lived my life by their standards, or what they say are his and no punishment. Hence the reference.

Relax. It was an experiment and seeking of knowledge. It confirmed a truth that I already knew.
I thought it was funny. lol

I've been to church a bit because I take an elderly relative as it is her wish and I help care for her. I just sit silently in amazement that all these people believe they are specially selected for this special service provided only to them. Then they are asked to tell everyone about it in hopes of gaining more followers of this special service. It's like a God Avon meeting.
They do a good bit of gossip at these meeting over donuts and coffee.

I just laugh inside. Plus, I've not been stoned to death yet, nor has the roof fallen while I'm there either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 09:29 AM

986 posts, read 1,178,091 times
I've decided to be an Agnostic! That will put me on neutral ground when I meet God in person and if I don't, that's OK too, but I hope I don't get reincarnated as a Monkey's Ass or a box full of kitty litter!

Last edited by Art2ro; 11-18-2012 at 10:10 AM..

Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,883,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
I've decided to be an Agnostic! That will put me on neutral ground when I meet God in person and if I don't, that's OK too, but I hope I don't get reincarnated as a Monkey's Ass or kitty litter!
Or an Evangelist!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:17 PM

17,086 posts, read 9,853,520 times
I like traditional high-church services, despite being firmly Agnostic, because I think the themes of community, forgiveness, and interconnectedness as found in the liturgical practices of public confession, absolution, the offeratory, and communion are beautiful and universal explorations of the meaning and purpose of human existance.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,202,418 times
Haven't been to a proper service in years. I did attend two services while in Europe though: One in Brussels, BE and another in Delft, NL. I had no idea what they were saying (it was in French / Dutch) , but it was pretty neat, since the buildings were 800+ years old

Old 01-31-2013, 03:05 PM

607 posts, read 1,091,794 times
The church I go to is a laid back, "informal" church - no pews, no hymns, mostly upbeat songs. Some churches are simply a lot less boring than others.

For those of you who don't know, I am a Liberal Christian - about as far away as fundamentalist as you can get, but still strongly believing in Jesus and God.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:05 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Out of curiosity and a sense of fairness, I recently to a church service. First time in a great many years.

I was interested in finding out if the method of delivering the message had changed over the years, evolved.

It may have been the church that I went to but I found the experience to be even less inspiring than I did in my youth.

At least the ceiling did not fall in when I entered.

Has anyone else had this type of experience and how did you find it?
I went to a friends' child's baptism a little over a year ago. It was my first time going to church since about 1998 or so, when I was 14/15.

Same as you, the fact that I didn't burst into flame or start to sizzle, considering how severely I've engaged in blasphemy and apostatic behavior, was a good thing... but also lent proof that there was nothing special or holy about the experience

In any case, I did sit there and listen to the sermon - considering that I don't believe in the book it's referencing or its teachings, I found it to be basically pointless. Although the virtues of peace and tolerance are certainly worth upholding, I obviously rejected the assertions that it was only through this ideology that I could find peace. It was as phenomenally dull, absurd, and guilt-trippy as I remembered.

The baptism happened after the service, and the priest made a jab at the fact that he didn't recognize anyone but my friends as members or attendees of the church, and included references to lack of religion in the baptism itself, which I and other people present (including the mother) later discussed was pretty snotty.

All in all, the experience totally vindicated my dislike of church. The highlight of the experience was stopping to get a burrito on the way back.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,111,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The highlight of the experience was stopping to get a burrito on the way back.
Maybe if you had gotten your bean burrito before the baptism you would have had the power to loudly interject your thoughts during the sermon.

Save that idea for next time.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Maybe if you had gotten your bean burrito before the baptism you would have had the power to loudly interject your thoughts during the sermon.
Nah, man... I've made a habit of carrying a little thing of Beano on the left inside pocket of my blazer so that I don't accidentally, uh, voice my opinions of Christianity, the current state of popular music, or the handling capabilities of the Dodge Charger after a good Mexican lunch.

Quote:
Save that idea for next time.
You know what, you're right. Perhaps the next time I go to church (which will most likely be for a wedding, funeral, or baptism), I will... *scratches chin*

Incidentally, when I was 13 and my dad and I had a cataclysmic fight over my lack of Christianity that resulted in us not talking for the next five years, towards the end, I said, "I have much better things to do with my time than go to church!"

He said, "Oh yeah? What? What could you possibly have to do that's better with your time than go to church?"

I fished in my pocket and pulled out a dollar and a couple pennies, then answered, "I have a dollar. I can go up to Circle K, buy a bag of Flamin' Hot Doritos, walk back eating it... and that would give me infinitely more fulfillment than going to church!"

He said, "Fine! Fine! Stay home! I won't have you making your family look bad sitting there at church!"

And I exclaimed, "FINALLY! That's all I wanted."

I guess that really, food always has been the hurdle between me and god.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:29 AM

1,229 posts, read 982,943 times
I go into churches when I travel for the architecture. But after leaving the Jehovah's Whiteness cult after 30 years I will never go to another church again. The Dubbers as we x witnesses call them are a cult and a destructive cult at that. They hid pedophiles and destroy family's. They have predicted many things and all have been porven to be false. So its an Atheist life for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism