U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:51 PM

3,935 posts, read 5,590,748 times

Advertisements

I've always said this. I've seen it played out too much for it to be coincidence. The atheists could always answer the questions asked them by believers, and sound like they knew what they were talking about, but, the believers would stammer and hesitate when asked questions about the bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 08:57 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,212,032 times
I'd bet many atheists actually studied and pondered religion deeply when they had their "crisis of faiths", which almost always leads the student to realize the truth of the matter... that religion is made-up.

Believers on the other hand never go that deep on the cerebral aspects of religion and are content to build on their personal feelings and deepen relationships with other believers, leading them eventually to a place where they would have to sacrifice who they are in order to accept the truth... so they refuse to see the truth at all.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:36 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,994,349 times
There is a big difference between believing what one wishes to believe because they like it and it makes them feel good (and/or conversely being afraid not to believe), and on the other hand being willing to accept the truth as one actually sees it, however unpalatable it may seem at first. However, I was actually overjoyed when I realized I am an atheist, feeling a great weight of supernatural hocus-pocus being lifted from my shoulders. Religions are man-made.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:22 AM

39,206 posts, read 10,887,543 times
That's absolutely what we find; deconverts feel as if a great weight had been lifted from their shoulders. I felt it myself. It's a tremendous release from a burden. it still puzzles me exactly what burden, but not needing to take all the 'hocus- pocus' seriously comes close.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:56 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,681,857 times
This tells me you've been living under a rock, as this is really old. The best way to make someone an atheist is to have them read the bible (that's the saying).

Old 01-31-2012, 07:55 AM

9,412 posts, read 11,741,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That's absolutely what we find; deconverts feel as if a great weight had been lifted from their shoulders. I felt it myself. It's a tremendous release from a burden. it still puzzles me exactly what burden, but not needing to take all the 'hocus- pocus' seriously comes close.
The burden was wrapped in the expectations.

On one hand christians are supposed to feel this deep inner peace, in the world but not of the world, conquerors of the mundane and earthly desires. But then we are told we're sinners, never good enough for the great almighty...yet cleansed and pure by the blood of jesus.

Do you see how this is a burden, the dichotomy of the message plays with our mind, it is confusing and unattainable.

Couple this with the myriad of other intangibles and unrealistic expectations and I can see why I feel the burden of the ridiculous lifted from me. My mind is clear, I am able to make rational decisions and I don't have a false blueprint to lead my life by.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:41 AM

39,206 posts, read 10,887,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
This tells me you've been living under a rock, as this is really old. The best way to make someone an atheist is to have them read the bible (that's the saying).
Oh, yes; the reasons for losing faith are as old as the faith itself. Actually reading the Bible is a very good one, trying to resolve the problem of evil is another. But often that can be pushed to the back of the mind and it is very often a relatively minor personal shock that washes the believer out from other the rock into the open air with us other nonbelievers.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:33 PM

13,325 posts, read 25,586,246 times
I say again that many of us never were believers in the first place. I only learned about some of the god belief systems when editing interviews with George W. Bush when there was a FRONTLINE about Karl Rove telling him how to use evangelicals to win. Never read the bible, and no plans thereof. I always said, if I grew up locked in a house with no inputs, I never would have come up with a god concept, never mind the amazing tangle of formal religions.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:14 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,368,976 times
I was never a believer, even before I could understand the words they were trying to shove down my throat. It all just felt wrong and impossible. In every other subject, you could ask questions but not religion. It was what it was and the devil was making you ask questions! And the way the nuns and priests behaved and treated certain kids better and certain ones badly, only added to the doubts. They stood closer to the god they preached about and did horrible things. How can that help make a believer out of you?

Old 02-09-2012, 03:42 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,177,677 times
Maybe he majority atheists tend to be more left brain thinkers and are more prone to "studying" things in general, and more religious folks are more right brain thinkers who tend to focus more on the "big picture" than the details?

Did I get right brain and left brain backwards? Guess which one I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or