U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2012, 01:33 PM
 
704 posts, read 582,170 times
Reputation: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Well I wouldn't go that far.....I find that most atheists I meet and talk to are quite intelligent, so I can go with you down that street.

But to say you can't be intelligent UNLESS you are an atheist, that I don't agree with. There are a lot of really intelligent people that just happen to believe in some supernatural phenomenon like God or Santa or republicans that aren't evil. I view it as an odd and strange little quirk on their part, but it doesn't preclude them from being quite intelligent in other ways.

Now whether or not the intelligent people I see in the News, or read about in books (sometimes their books) Really and TRULY believe in God, I don't know. Maybe they are just paying lip service or repeating what they were brought up with. But for instance, Barack Obama, whether you like him or not, is an intelligent man, and I don't think he says he believes in god just because he is a politician. He seems to legitimately believe it and went to church long before he became a politician. Shrug.
I am not claiming that all intelligent people are athiests. Most intelligent people that say they are religious are not willing to admit the truth that their intelligence points them towards. They are fearful of ridicule, ostracization or loosing their status or a position that they have and were given by professing faith, because doing so would be the death knell of their persona as they know it. Intelligent people can clearly see the falacy of religion. If they say they do not, then they are in denial (not the river in Egypt either). In true reality, intelligence equates to athiesm, as an intelligent person would draw the conclusion that leads them to athiesm. If not, such a person is again in denial, or is suffering from a phobia or some kind of psychosis that causes them to remain in the dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2012, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
3,604 posts, read 2,822,442 times
Reputation: 2022
I sometimes wonder if Ray Comfort is really just a walking doorknob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 11:28 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,805 posts, read 13,870,799 times
Reputation: 4752
That's as good a definition as any. What an ignoramus he is, and why anyone cares what his opinions are is a mystery. That just reminds me: I have a banana in the kitchen that is going bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 10:40 AM
 
1,806 posts, read 897,510 times
Reputation: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
I am not claiming that all intelligent people are athiests. Most intelligent people that say they are religious are not willing to admit the truth that their intelligence points them towards. They are fearful of ridicule, ostracization or loosing their status or a position that they have and were given by professing faith, because doing so would be the death knell of their persona as they know it. Intelligent people can clearly see the falacy of religion. If they say they do not, then they are in denial (not the river in Egypt either). In true reality, intelligence equates to athiesm, as an intelligent person would draw the conclusion that leads them to athiesm. If not, such a person is again in denial, or is suffering from a phobia or some kind of psychosis that causes them to remain in the dark.
Going to disagree with this, partially because the intelligent path for the individual is the path of least resistance. The survival instinct is strong. The most intelligent person would seek to avoid unnecessary resistance, thereby they would attempt to placate their survival instinct.

For some people denial is easier than for others. Such people cheerfully ignore some bits of reason, and cheerfully acknowledge other bits...depending on how much friction each bit of reason causes. In such cases, denial would seem to be a highly advantageous mindset, far more advanced than the primitive method of focusing on reason and bending one's emotions around that truth...far more advanced than emotionally acknowledging what seems to be.

The most advanced minds would twist certain religions to fill gaps in knowledge of reality so as to minimize the emotional friction based on knowledge of mortality, while maintaining conscious knowledge of aspects of reality which immediately affect the conscious mind.

The most advanced minds would not tell the conscious mind about unpleasant things until it needs to know. The videogame lovers, the procrastinators, the painters who live in poverty and whos works will only have value to a few wealthy, already spoiled individuals, all have wondrously advanced minds able to beat reality. They have ascended...I'd guess.

Hehe. Now everyone's depressed. Atheists may not be going the wisest route, plus...there's no God. That was fun.

Last edited by Clintone; 02-09-2012 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 12:05 PM
 
704 posts, read 582,170 times
Reputation: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Going to disagree with this, partially because the intelligent path for the individual is the path of least resistance. The survival instinct is strong. The most intelligent person would seek to avoid unnecessary resistance, thereby they would attempt to placate their survival instinct.

For some people denial is easier than for others. Such people cheerfully ignore some bits of reason, and cheerfully acknowledge other bits...depending on how much friction each bit of reason causes. In such cases, denial would seem to be a highly advantageous mindset, far more advanced than the primitive method of focusing on reason and bending one's emotions around that truth...far more advanced than emotionally acknowledging what seems to be.

The most advanced minds would twist certain religions to fill gaps in knowledge of reality so as to minimize the emotional friction based on knowledge of mortality, while maintaining conscious knowledge of aspects of reality which immediately affect the conscious mind.

The most advanced minds would not tell the conscious mind about unpleasant things until it needs to know. The videogame lovers, the procrastinators, the painters who live in poverty and whos works will only have value to a few wealthy, already spoiled individuals, all have wondrously advanced minds able to beat reality. They have ascended...I'd guess.

Hehe. Now everyone's depressed. Atheists may not be going the wisest route, plus...there's no God. That was fun.
I'll make it simple for you; if a person is intelligent, truly intelligent, their intellect would have them reject all the religious nonsense. An atheisst has indeed realized the silliness of religion. It is the intelligence in a person that makes them realize the falacy of religion. The reasons I pointed out above are what make the delusionals hold onto their beliefs, or at least say they hold onto them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 05:00 PM
 
1,806 posts, read 897,510 times
Reputation: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
I'll make it simple for you; if a person is intelligent, truly intelligent, their intellect would have them reject all the religious nonsense. An atheisst has indeed realized the silliness of religion. It is the intelligence in a person that makes them realize the falacy of religion. The reasons I pointed out above are what make the delusionals hold onto their beliefs, or at least say they hold onto them.
Sounds like you're equating willpower and E.Q. with intelligence. They're not the same thing...talk to my cousin, the former meth addict, with the I.Q. of 160.

True intelligence would relate to more than just having an eye for the truth. There is no most way religious people are religious merely because they don't know any better...I think most people made a choice...to relieve themselves from some of the concerns of this world in exchange for a certain degree of emotional satisfaction.

The exception is when virulent brainwashing spreads, where people are brainwashed to brainwash others, but this is quite often not synonomous with religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 05:39 PM
 
704 posts, read 582,170 times
Reputation: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Sounds like you're equating willpower and E.Q. with intelligence. They're not the same thing...talk to my cousin, the former meth addict, with the I.Q. of 160.

True intelligence would relate to more than just having an eye for the truth. There is no most way religious people are religious merely because they don't know any better...I think most people made a choice...to relieve themselves from some of the concerns of this world in exchange for a certain degree of emotional satisfaction.

The exception is when virulent brainwashing spreads, where people are brainwashed to brainwash others, but this is quite often not synonomous with religion.
True, I know many intelligent people who will argue till they're blue in the face that there is a god up in the sky and all the other mumbo jumbo. I find it incredulous that these seemingly intelligent people actually believe that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 06:24 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,693 posts, read 18,192,873 times
Reputation: 11862
It's true, education (and a lack of melanin) makes you stoopider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 07:46 PM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
14,683 posts, read 9,503,582 times
Reputation: 15194
Most Black Americans know that it is our faith in the Lord God Almighty has carried us through the Middle Passage, centuries of enslavement, Jim Crow et al.


Concert Shekinah Glory Ministry Awesome And Mighty 04 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 04:08 AM
 
4,722 posts, read 3,818,517 times
Reputation: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Most Black Americans know that it is our faith in the Lord God Almighty has carried us through the Middle Passage, centuries of enslavement, Jim Crow et al.


Concert Shekinah Glory Ministry Awesome And Mighty 04 - YouTube
And now the question is, WHY did he allow our people to go through the Middle Passage in the first place, working with the idea that such a god exists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:48 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top